Bachmann responds to 'sex appeal' remark
July 8th, 2011

Bachmann responds to 'sex appeal' remark

(CNN) - Rep. Michele Bachmann jokingly welcomed comments made earlier in the week by a top adviser for rival presidential candidate Tim Pawlenty's campaign, who said the congresswoman had "sex appeal."

"Listen, I'm 55 years old. I've given birth to five kids, and I've raised 23 foster kids," the Minnesota Republican said Friday in a radio interview on the Scott Hennen Show. "So that sounds like good news to me."

The Pawlenty adviser, Vin Weber, made the comment in an interview with The Hill newspaper, saying, "She's got hometown appeal, she's got ideological appeal, and, I hate to say it, but she's got a little sex appeal too."

Weber issued a statement of apology on Wednesday.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann • Tim Pawlenty
  1. John

Some of those kids she "raised" where only with her for less than a week, and on the taxpayers dime. What a fraud!

July 8, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  2. Brian DC

MB walks the walk.

July 8, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  3. V in Chicago

Anyone get a real close-up look at this woman. She is scarry looking. Peel off the pounds of makeup and look in to those glazed eyes and sexy is not what you see. . . Besides the fact that she is crazy.

July 8, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. billy's Mom

She's as sexy as my Grandmother in a bathrobe.

July 8, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. Scott

Buurp... Yuck... I think I just threw up in my mouth just a little bit...

July 8, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  6. Jeff in Virginia

I wish she would stop lying about her "foster children". Raised 23 of them? Yeah right!!

July 8, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Dave

Sex appeal? Sure she has tons of sex appeal. If you're into idiots and liars, she's the one!

July 8, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. fred

Very good very good. Bachmann is showing she's smarter than Palin by not getting involved in this. Palin would have been out calling people feminists and adding fire to the flame. Bachmann just killed the flame, which is a sigh of relief.

July 8, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  9. ML

She hasn't "raised" 23 foster kids. That implies that she took care of each of them from early childhood to adult. She "took care" of 23 foster different foster kids for brief periods (sometimes as little as a few weeks) of their lives.

July 8, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  10. Heidi

That was a really classy response. Some women would have gotten completley bent out of shape and been totally offended. Mr Pawlenty is correct. She's got all kinds of appeal.

July 8, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  11. Marie MD

Hey flake, it's paw man after all. We really are not into your looks because you are not attractive enough to be president if it came down to looks. You are not even a goodbtaxnlawyer!! Thanks for continuing to remind us about your spawning of five and how much money you were "entittled" to from the government for your twenty three foster kids.
    Unlike another poster in anothervstory, I am not gay but I can see it in your husband the christian warlord. He is too involved in "curing" gays just like various christian preachers before him who WERE gay themselves!
    You, like the idiot from AK, are irrelevant. The secessionis from tx is the one to watch and be even more afraid of than you and the rest of the clowns running.

July 8, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  12. Sorensen

She is very cute and sexy for a 55 year old.
    Apart from that she is a mediocre, smaal town tax lawyer, which neither makes her particularly intelligent nor
    capable of running anything with more than 3 employees.
    President? Who is kidding who?

July 8, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. John

They was just trying to be nice. Because I think you don't have any brain. And you have no Business running for President. Any body that stand out In front of the Capital building last years with the TEA PARTY yielding shut the GOVERNMENT down no matter what It would have done to a lot of American people and are people In the Military. You shouldn't even be a Congresswoman. The American people pay you to do a job ,not to protest. Instead of protesting you should have been In there trying to get thing done to NOT shut the Government down.

July 8, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. Four and The Door

Great sense of humor. It helps when going into national politics these days, especially if you are a Republican woman. The liberals have adopted an odd sense of justification for personal attacks on conservative women.

In any event, Michele's strongest appeal is her philosophy of government and the ideas she brings to the issues. These are what will get her the nomination and the election.

July 8, 2011 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. bachmanntwit

I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

July 8, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  16. Lynda/Minnesota

Enough with the 23 foster kids, Michele. Mention of them in every conversation lost shelf life months ago. On a side note, Bachmann and Pawlenty ARE NOT indicative of every day, main street Minnesotans. For the most part, we are an extremely intelligent group whose thought processes actually do exceed the 5th grade mentality Bachmann and Pawlenty are so proud to emulate. Unfortunately, as more and more mega churches pop-up in our neck of the words, more and more Pawlenty's and Bachmann's emerge, along with their small minded - and exclusive - followers.

July 8, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  17. natty

hey everyone i just learned that my mom can run for prez cuz she had 5 kids!

July 8, 2011 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. NameDaniel R Martin

I realize there are some who are swayed by "sex appeal " or other trivia, my concern is that they show a grasp of the issues and that their political views agree with mine.

July 8, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  19. mjinmd

Don't see where the aide had anything to apologize for. I agree with her–bring it on at 55 years of age!

July 8, 2011 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  20. Junky

23 foster kids...multiply that by $800/month of govt/state money! Hmm...this is the same person who wants to cut off govt funding!! I guess she does not need the foster care allowance anymore. What a crooked, greedy in-human she is.

July 8, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  21. Kenny K

Who are the 23 foster kids she raised? At what age did she start raising them? How old are they now? Are any of them still living with her?

She has the picture of her and the biological children, and I am curious because she mentions them a lot.

July 8, 2011 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  22. The Obama Recession Continues Unabated, Obama Depression on the way

I think it was mean't as a complement and a positive and Michelle is taking it as one. Leave it to the Lame Stream Media to contort a complement into a slur. Nobody will EVER pay Nancy Pelosi this complement!

July 8, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  23. Bob from Pittburgh

I think is commendable she raised that many foster kids.. every body should recognized that accomplishment..

However she is still a fifty footer..

July 8, 2011 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  24. Rudy NYC

Like I said before, the comment is harmless. Most women would be flattered. Too bad Gov. Pawlenty showed his like of courage to stand by his words. Again. ObamneyCare. If he has not completely shot himself in the foot before now, he will finish it off this week. Pawlenty Hot Air.

July 8, 2011 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  25. Name king

When will these repugs stop with the 10 year Jobs trickle down economics. They only talk about the supply end of the capitalism system but never about the demand end which is 75 percent of the economy. We are not in the industrial revolution anymore repugs, we are in a sales revolution since you guys sent away our industries over seas. This is a spending economy that means buying and selling, your assault on American spenders is unparalleled. We need a boycott on congress to force them to raise taxes to finance the most epic modernization of our infrastructure. We need dems to stand up we need A NEW DEAL NUMBER II.

July 8, 2011 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |