Progressive group makes a rally call directed at Obama
July 11th, 2011

Progressive group makes a rally call directed at Obama

Washington (CNN) – In the midst of ongoing debt talks, the liberal-leaning Progressive Change Campaign Committee is urging people not to donate their time or money to President Barack Obama's 2012 campaign if he agrees to cuts in Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid.

More than 160,000 people have pledged to withhold support for Obama in 2012 if concessions in Social Security or health care are made, according to the PCCC.

Obama stressed the importance for negotiators on both sides of the aisle to step out of their comfort zone and make political sacrifices during his weekly address Saturday.

The liberal group launches its campaign in the wake of a new Club for Growth ad released Monday, advising Republicans to hold onto the "Cut, Cap, and Balance" pledge, which supports increases to the debt ceiling only if paired with a balanced-budget amendment, spending cuts and statutory spending caps.

PCCC co-founder Adam Green theorized that if Obama doesn't fulfill the requests of his supporters during debt negotiations, he may be more poised to run as an independent in 2012 instead of in the Democratic primary.

An overwhelming majority of Democratic voters oppose cutting Social Security to deal with debt, according to PCCC polling.

"If he's running as a Democrat, antagonizing the base like that is a pretty bad strategy," Green told CNN.

The liberal PCCC contributes to and endorses campaigns of progressive candidates and legislation.

No agreement was reached during Monday's debt ceiling talks between Obama and congressional leaders but discussions are scheduled to reconvene on Tuesday.

Filed under: 2012 • Debt • President Obama
  1. Len Smith

This group needs to get a life and look at the real world. We have one of the better Presidents now and they want to play games. Get on with life.

July 11, 2011 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  2. connieb

Whose picture is hanging on the wall?!?

July 11, 2011 07:39 pm at 7:39 pm |
  3. ED FL

There are many many more with the same inclination. President Obama has caved in to the GOP so much I believe if he gets Democrat opposition he might change his party affiiation. The last thing we need trying to run this country are more Chicago [politicians] in leadership positions.Stay home in washington DC ,get some gravitas and quit sucking up to the GOP. we know you are a millionaire like most GOP'ers, your constituancy are not in that catergory.

July 11, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  4. carrotroot

I'm a registered Democrat, and I don't think this group is helping matters. We MUST look at Social Security and Medicare, especially given the current reality of our country's fiscal problems. Doing nothing is not an option.

July 11, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  5. Carl

It's time for the progressive and independent leaning people in our society who have seen the middleclass wage stagnate year after year, while 1-2% of the country control the who, what, where, when and how of this countries fiscal policy, to say enough is enough. If the President cannot stand behind the principles that ushered him into office in the face of a Republican/Tea party who thinks that the elderly, poor and, middleclass and college students who get student aid, are the ones who created a fiscal catastrophe then we might as well let him fall by the wayside. I didn't vote for a "Republican Lite" president. I voted for a democrat. I voted for a president for the majority of the people, not the wealthy few. If he cuts Medicare, Social Security, and federal aid to poor and low income college students, then President Obama can kiss my vote goodbye.

July 11, 2011 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  6. Logan

Anybody 25 or younger support this is a moron considering all three entitlements are projected to be bankrupt by 2050 at the current pace. Obama has my vote. I would rather have a smaller piece of the pie when I'm ready to retire then no pie at all.

July 11, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  7. Mike

I am so tired of watching poltical action groups that run for the extreme positions and are completely unwilling to negotiate. I am a Democrat who believes in Medicare and Social Security and I don't want to see them cut. But sometimes you need to compromise like Obama is trying to do. You may not get everything you want but the debt ceiling is more important. Plus, with Democrats withholding support for Obama, if one of the Republican candidates actually does win, do you think that that President would protect the programs you love? Are you really that stupid? These political action groups need to pull their heads out of their a$$e$ and let the elected officials govern rather than hamstringing them with ridiculous expectations.

July 11, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  8. WireweirdinSf

they don't have to worry, this corrupt, union toasty shares their goal of destroying this country.

July 11, 2011 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  9. JB

The right sings songs of cut cap and balance, the left sings for social security! Can't we have a common ground? You know the grey area! Or we all move to Mexico!! I assure you after 3 weeks there we will come back and agree on everything.

July 11, 2011 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  10. Name

Everyone need to come to a common ground treats take us nowhere..... .

July 11, 2011 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  11. Don McLaughlin

This should work well... if they withhold support from Obama in the 2012 election they will give a great boost to a republican who is guaranteed to be much farther to the right.

Good move ladies and gentlemen...

July 11, 2011 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  12. Eugene FRANK MD

I agree absolutely with the program: he is not the man I voted for, and supported with my funds. His lack of leadership qualities, his habit of abandoning political allies, as well as his base of support, for his own aggrandizement to fo down in history as whatever, this man does not deserve support. He, like Faust, sold his soul, but he to the Republican party, enough is enough.

July 11, 2011 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |
  13. Proud member of "Global Zero"

That email went right into my spam folder. I will not take my toys and go home. As a 52 year old woman that got laid off today, I finally got to see some cable news. The first order of the Republican party is to take the White House and the Senate. Then, they will pass the Ryan Plan. Oh, ye on the left...my heart is with you but, my head a life experience is not. I refuse to give the Senate and the White House to these people. I will work to get the house back. So, please think before you speak. You don't even know what is being negotiated.

July 11, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  14. GOP = Greed Over People

There is no way the GOP is going to give up on their stated singular mission which is to see "America FAIL" at any price!

At some point, President Obama, will come out with some flowery speech about how he wants to prevent pain to the American citizenry and a global financial catastrophe, so, therefore, I will give blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, just give in now, and then announce you will not run for re-election in 2012 and let another Dem take on the GOP

I will never again vote for ANY member of the GOP and I will vote for President Obama if I must, but I will not donate money or time(he should never have made the shrub's tax cuts for the rich, the Obama tax cuts for the rich). If I need to pay higher taxes, then so be it, better I give back that 14 dollars a week than have the GOP put the elderly in the street due to Medicaid cuts to nursing homes and starve those "zygotes" they SAY they care about, by cutting pre-natal and WIC programs but once that fetus draws that first breath, then baby, you are on your own.

July 11, 2011 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  15. Hammerer

Where has Obama been all this time?
    Playing golf,playing basketball, campaigning and vacationing, now he shouts "time is short, do something, pass the largest bill possible".
    What a leader?

July 11, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  16. kyle

No cuts to Medicare, no cuts to Social Security, why should senior pay for the mistakes made during the Bush administration.

July 11, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  17. Sandy

This is stupid. If they don't vote for Obama, the Republicans win and then they are really screwed. They better hold their noses and vote for Obama!

July 11, 2011 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  18. I was fooled by Republican's in 2010 , I will never vote for the lying weasels again !

This is not a well thought out strategy for either group ! There is a serious problem here that needs to be fixed ! We can't listen to fringe groups and bury our heads into the sand and not get anything accomplished ! The republicans will have to come off their stance as well as the Democrats ! The president made it clear today that they will be sensible in their approach but an all or nothing plan is a non-starter for either side ! If they cant find common ground this problem will fester even more ! President Obama seems to be the only adult in the room because he is dealing with the reality that unless you get a few republicans on board there will be no deal ! BTW I guarantee this same group will support the President because they know that a republican would be a disaster and an unthinkable tragedy !

July 11, 2011 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  19. Four and The Door

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Very few Americans really want to see Social Security cut. At the same time, they should be pleased that if Social Security does end up getting reduced, the more money a person has made in their lives the more they will probably give up with any cuts. The sense of vengeance Democrats seem to have for successful people should get some satisfaction from that.

July 11, 2011 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  20. Don McLaughlin

So... I take it that my comment is somehow not politically correct enough to be approved??

July 11, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  21. L for Legend

C'mon Mr. President, don't give in those snotty-nosed brats. Hold your ground. We don't like the repukes no way.

July 11, 2011 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  22. William Barry

Let us not be stupid. If changes occur they will undoubtably be focused on reducing the corporate welfare which Repiglicans would have created. If no change in benefits result....than all the better. Can you imagine a Repiglican doing a better job in the White House? Contribute to the campaign out of your own self interest!

July 11, 2011 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  23. Henry Miller

160,000? Good start. Now if we could get the rest of the misguided fools who've any inclination to donate to the Spendthrift-in-Chief to come to their senses.

July 11, 2011 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  24. Anthony

Obama should make it clear to Republicans. We will let the Bush tax cuts expire next year. Republicans can sit on their hands all they want. The Bush tax cuts will not renew themselves. And if you think that Romney will win the White House after Republicans force the government to default, tanking the economy in the process, a bad economy and a market crash are very bad for Wall Street. Can Republicans win the White House without the support of Wall Street? Can they get the Bush tax cuts renewed without the White House?

July 11, 2011 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  25. Dennis

Liberals are incompetent children when it comes to the economy and dealing with any kind of reality. Witness a 40% increase in the nation's debt in only 2 1/2 years and 9.2% unemployment after spending almost $1 trillion in "stimulus". The adults are the one's that have to pay all the bills while the children run reckless with spending. Once again it's time for the children to step aside and let the adults back into the room.

July 11, 2011 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |