Grover Norquist: The man who drew the GOP's 'line in the sand'
July 14th, 2011

Grover Norquist: The man who drew the GOP's 'line in the sand'

Washington (CNN) – At the heart of the contentious talks between the White House and congressional Republicans on whether to raise the debt ceiling is a simple, one-sentence document many conservative lawmakers have signed, pledging not to increase taxes.

Ever.

"I _____ pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _____ and all the people of this state, that I will oppose and vote against all efforts to increase taxes," reads the version of the pledge signed by Republican lawmakers.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 2012 • Grover Norquist
  1. Steve, New York City

Warren Buffet points out that his secretary pays a higher proportion of her income in taxes than he does – yet the super-rich should never face higher taxation?

Thanks to Bush 43's retarded tax plan, the super-rich (people making +$5 milllion/year, NOT 250K/year) are the folks that are truly under-taxed.

Maybe Grover N, Eric Cantor, the Neo-cons and others can show us how much their investment portfolios will benefit, should they realize their life-long dream of seeing the US Government going bankrupt.

July 14, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  2. The Obama Recession Continues Unabated, Obama Depression on the way

Living within ones means.... Yup, a real revolutionary and extremist concept. Versus the Democrats, spend, tax and borrow until nobody will lend us anymore money.

July 14, 2011 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  3. Al-NY,NY

..and that "No new taxes" tripe worked SO well for GHW Bush didn't it? Weak willed sheep sign these kinds of things and this Grover character is going to sink the GOP. 67% in a recent Rasmussen poll agree that tax increases should be part of the debt solution. So if the majority of the american people say so, why isn't the GOP listening?? Wasn't that their mantra during the health care debate??

July 14, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  4. Sniffit

What a funny world we live in that considers it legitimate "news" to uncritically prop up a self-serving extremist idealogue like Norquist as though he has anyone's best interests at heart other than his own.

July 14, 2011 01:11 pm at 1:11 pm |
  5. ConservaFASCISTS/Domestic Terrorists/Taliban/Al Queda/TRAITORS

I have a pledge of my own Grover and it goes like this:

"I _____ pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _____ and all the people of this state, that I will vote in support of all efforts for the prosperity of my country even if that includes raising taxes."

How you like them apples?

July 14, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Sniffit

""I _____ pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _____ and all the people of this state, that I will oppose and vote against all efforts to increase taxes,"

"I _____ pledge to the taxpayers of the state of _____ and all the people of this state, that I will rigidly and irrationally adhere to a strict code of thought and behavior no matter what the facts, evidence, historical record, expert opinions or science indicate would be the most reasonable, rational, effective, efficient and pragmatic manner in which to govern."

Fixed.

July 14, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. pmk1953

This pledge is counter to their OATH to the country. Arrest them all. Charge them all with treason. Charge the author of this and any other pledge with sedition and subversion.

July 14, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  8. Doug in NYC

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God

This is the only "Pledge" that means anything, the oath each and every senator takes when taking office. The "pledge" Gover Norquist has the republicans sign negates the line "without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion" clearly by signing this No Tax pledge or any other, is a violation of this oath and every senator should be impeached!

July 14, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. A Kickin' Donkey

I'd like the Attorney General of the United States to explore crimes against the Constitution charges – – for divided loyalties and other high crimes - for each and EVERY elected politician holding national office, Republican or Democrat, that signs a PLEDGE which in anyway says what they will or will not do in the capacity as a public servant.

I'm not kidding. It is time to take the friggin' gloves off. These Tea Party following idiots are obstructing the operation of this country and have therefore earned our highest scrutiny and the harshest punishment possible. They think they are "Untouchable". By the force of law, Mr. Holder, touch them.

If not maybe the 310 MILLION of us should administer some street justice on them. A good whippin can go a long way.

July 14, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  10. GI Joe

Hmmm – somehow I had the thought put in my head over the years that the only pledge that was binding to our tax-paid representatives was to "uphold the constitution".

Who died and made that man God?? I don't trust anyone that signs it. It's subversive. (look up the word if you don't know what it means).

July 14, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. CatoAlberta

Like a director in a corporation, why would an elected representative like a Senator allow himself to have his discretion fettered in this manner. It affects his integrity as an elected representative.

July 14, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. sara

Take a real hard look at this "Rich" Clown Head" I bet you he has,nt done a good days work all his life??? This guy is threatening Americas working people!!!! He likes to starve children,and take from the weak!!! Poster Child for "SHAME" If there,s a Heaven,"We know where he,s going!!!! Karma will take care of you,Mr.Bigshot!

July 14, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  13. Rosslaw

This proponent of generally accepted right-wing accounting principles, i.e. 2 plus 2 equals anything I want it to on any given day, has sure moved up from his former bag man role to one of the "great minds" of the batsh*t crazy right. Of course, look at the competition.

July 14, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. The GOP doesn't care about America

The GOP pledge is not in the interest of the American people.

July 14, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  15. Positive

And now we see the danger of politicians signing pledges to special interests. They are there to serve the best interest of ALL Americans, not just pander to small group.

July 14, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. maf

Even the pledge is redundant! Sort of looks like the whole GOP is redundant!
    You can't have one without the other – spending cuts and an extension of the Bush tax cuts!!
    Grow up Tea Party. Time to join the real world, doing the right thing rather than resting on a debunked ideology

July 14, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  17. Oregon Calling

Someone please explain to me how "closing loopholes" is raising taxes? Even sales have an end date.

Peace :-)

July 14, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. Just As I Thought

Yes Indeed, and WE the Tea Party are very PROUD of Mr. Norquist and his untiring work!
    The best advice I can give you Liberal Dems is; run on down to the corner and pick up the latest local newspaper.....look in the "Employment" section ( a part of which most of you did not know existed) and go out and get a JOB!

July 14, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. diridi

This guy talks no sense of what so ever. He is totally mentally retarded, and a biggest idiot.....o.k, Let me ask you, how can you raise revenue without raising taxes on wealthy???? Did he know, from Reagan era, we raised debt ceiling 75 times, and Bush era 10 times. He is so stupid and idiotic.....o.k, Do not entertain, these idiotic clowns, they mess this nation. I bet the riches gave money to talk so to this idiot.....I pity you, America. Do not listen to this idiot, Norquist.....

July 14, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  20. vic , nashville ,tn

He was last night in Piers Morgan Tonight. I didn’t want to listen because I born and raise by strong conservative parents
    Past two years many pop up calling themselves conservative actually they don’t reflect conservative principle or values

We didn’t want to pay tax to British there is reason. Government can’t function with out collecting tax that is fact

July 14, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  21. cindy

one man speaks for all of you? You should be ashamed of yourselves to follow like sheep. Yet you have the gall to refer to us as sheeple. I DID NOT sign that worthless piece of crap. See ya at the polls!!!!!!!!

July 14, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. Rudy NYC

Curious, that they sign it *after* they are in office. No doubt many folks would have voted them had they signed it during their campaigns. But, the American people were looking for compromise: they wanted DC to function like it should. Somehow, I think the elections would have turned out rather differently had these pledges been signed prior to Nov. 2010. Most Americans would have not voted for them.

I don't know what is happening to the Republican party. It has changed from being the GOP to the the GOTP.

July 14, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  23. MPeters

Except what is truly twisted about it is...They call taking away deductions "raising taxes." Which, is like storming into Best Buy and telling them that they are unfairly raising prices because their sale ended yesterday. Deductions allow you to reduce the amount of taxes that you would have OTHERWISE had to pay anyways. Nobody is trying to raise tax rates, you owe what you owe; now, we are just asking you to actually pay what you owe. It's really THAT simple.

July 14, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  24. SecedingfromTexas

Republican pledges signed, sealed and delivered to special interest groups, and all who donate to their campaigns:
    Pledge not to raise taxes (worked for GHW Bush)
    Pledge to repeal estate taxes
    Pledge to not raise debt ceiling without balanced budget amendment (unless we have a Republican President)
    "Family Leader" pledge
    Susan B. Anthony pledge,
    And they have time to put a "Better Light Bulb Act" before Congress, because the "gubment ain't gonna tell me
    what light bulbs to use", unless, of course, it was signed into law in 2007 by GW Bush, then that would be
    OK - oops, it was signed in 2007 by guess who.

Here's a NEW pledge for the Republicans: " I pledge to never pass a Budget that is not true and comprehensive.
    All up-front war costs and other hidden costs will be no longer be designated "supplemental", so there will
    no longer be a fraudulent budget to pass on to the next Administration, and let them figure out how to pay for my
    spending spree", but I also pledge never to take responsibilty for my actions.
    And, here's an OLD pledge for them: " I PLEDGE allegiance to the flag of the United States of America........"

July 14, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |