Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run
July 15th, 2011

Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run

(CNN) – Bristol Palin talked politics with Jay Leno Thursday, saying Sarah Palin's mid-term resignation as Alaska governor won't hurt her chances of running for president.

The 20-year-old said her mom stepped down in 2009 in response to a surge of lawsuits.

"It was just costing the state tons of money and us personally tons of money, and she just wasn't able to do her job with those lawsuits being filed," Bristol said.

Leno, however, pointed out that lawsuits against governors are "part of the job" in state politics.

"Not to the magnitude that she was getting," Bristol said. "She just wanted to put her state first."

The former Alaska governor was the subject of multiple ethics complaints, including an investigation that her staff allegedly pressured a public official to fire a state trooper who had been through a messy divorce with Palin's sister.

When Palin resigned in July 2009, she said she had already decided against running for re-election and felt that her time as a lame-duck governor would be wasteful for the state.

In another media appearance, Bristol told HLN's Dr. Drew Pinsky in an hour long special to air this coming Thursday that she "definitely" agrees her mom could win.

"I think she's so smart, and I think she can debate anyone and do very well," Bristol said.

When asked if Bristol hopes her mom doesn't make it to the White House–given the added media attention–Bristol said, "no."

"I think that people are going to be talking about my family and her and everyone else, uh, no matter what we're doing," Bristol said.

This summer Palin has visited crucial voting states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, but she has yet to announce a decision on whether she'll join the 10-member field of GOP presidential hopefuls.

But, according to Palin, Bristol has already weighed in on her mom's 2012 decision.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said in a recent interview with Newsweek. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

Filed under: 2012 • Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. David

Who did her plastic surgery? Someone in a hotel room?

July 15, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  2. Marie MD

@what's her face power the only thing you need to be-hold is your sanity unless you are being paid by your false prophet to make a fool of yourself over and over again. You are more pathetic than four and the door!!
    Give it up. She is NOT going to be anything worthwhile inthe future (or has been in the past)!!!

July 15, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  3. Sank

You Democrats are so sickening saying the same thing over and over about this family. What is the matter with you? Does your gray matter not come up with something new to let the world know how stupid are. PALIN WILL BE THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND THERE IS NOTHING YOUR INCAPABLE MINDS CAN SAY OR DO TO STOP HER. SO SHUT THE HECK UP.

July 15, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  4. James klimaski

Now Bristol is seen by Jay Leno and CNN as a political pundit. But considering who else CNN considers as pundits....

July 15, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. Chas in Iowa

She had made such a mess of her families life that she either had to step down or go through the legal battles bringing it all out into public eyes.
    Sarah is a born again elitist.

July 15, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  6. allitrop

Bristol's face job looks terrible. Now she looks like a big chin on a body.

July 15, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. T'sah from Virginia

I think BRISTOL speaks for the entire country – and she makes a lot of sense!!
    I think I am good enough to be your "Commander in Chief"
    I think I will run for President and give this country much RELIEF!!

Palin – who are you fooling – you short-time governor
    Do you really believe the American people saw your past and will ignore
    The fact that YOU quit at the height of when the going got tough
    Come on NOW – Get Real – we had ENOUGH!!!!!

July 15, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  8. DB

"BEHOLD our next President and first daughters. We WILL have 8 years of the Palins in the White House and unheard of greatness and prosperity never before seen."

You betcha, winky..winky. Tax those oil companies, sell the Presidential aircraft and fire the White House Chef. Problem solved. ROFLMAO Poor Sarah doesn't remember taking the Wasilla debt from 2M to over 22M and leaving Alaska with more debt and spending than when she started her pathetic half-term as Governor that she endlessly complained about in emails from day one.

July 15, 2011 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  9. LovesHemp

It's the mercury in the environment. It is lowering the IQs of all people.

July 15, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  10. Casual Observer

Obviously mommy taught her all about talking points. Did anyone check her palms before she appeared on TV?

July 15, 2011 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  11. GOP = Greed Over People

Barnacle's book sales of her "memoirs" must be slow to non-existent.

July 15, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  12. Tony

You people are crazy if you think Obama has been a good president. I like him as a politician and do think he would be a good governor, senator, etc., but as president he is weak. Every crisis that has came up he has been run over. Even those of foreign has publically said Obama is weak and how can you have other countries president (our allies) saying these things and respect what Obama is or does AS PRESIDENT. I am not saying vote for Palin or republican (or democrat for that matter), but don't vote for Obama simply because he has done nothing to help this country and has blamed the "Bush era" for everything that is happening.

July 15, 2011 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  13. Kevin

Palin Power
    *****************************************************************************************************************************************************
    Thank you I need a laugh, I just can't stop laughing now, that was the best try at a joke, though I did get the punch line others might not. so I wll say it again

I'm 44 yrs old and not under any ReThugliCan't President did we have greatness and prosperity. What we did have is a mess that took a Democract to clean up after. Greatness and Prosperity, It is to laugh. Thank for the Summer Great Joke.

July 15, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. jk from MN

WHY WHY WHY is it that CNN has to give yet another Palin more attention than she really should have????

July 15, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  15. ED FL

LIKE MOTHER LIKE DAUGHTER.They could be twins except for the age factor. The not so smart factor is pretty much the same

July 15, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  16. Mike Dallas

Missy states "I could win, if I run".

I could sell more records than Lady GAGA, if I could sing.

July 15, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  17. BinFL

@ Palin Power – I've read many of your posts and they always bring joy to my day because they make me roll on the floor laughing!! What world do you live in???

July 15, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. Laura518

Well, maybe she had all these complaints filed BECAUSE they have merit. Let's not forget, she WAS found guilty of abuse of power as governor. The so-called values woman! What a joke. And...I doubt she is running. But her "peeps" keep donating money for it. What a scam. Her approval rating keeps declining and when she announces she ISN'T running, will they STILL back her? P.S. What happened to her bus tour?

July 15, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  19. Kenneth the VI of Minneapolis

You only get one chance at a first impression.

July 15, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  20. JJ

In other words, the dingbat didn't have the gumption to stay on the court with dignity even though she knew it was game over for her. That is just one of the hundreds of reasons why the Lipsticked Chihuahua will only sit in the White House by coming in with the caterers or by wearing the Monica Mask under the oval office desk. Period.

July 15, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  21. cyndyd

Maybe someone should explain to me why I care what Bristol Palin wants.

July 15, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  22. Sortakinda

And the torch has been passed to a new, stupid generation of braying Pallins.

July 15, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. Bill

Hey Palin Power, what planet are you living on? I stand a better chance of becoming president than this mindless, self-serving reprobate.

July 15, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  24. chelle

And yet somehow Bill Clinton managed to continue doing his job as President with Whitewater and the impeachment proceedings..... what does THAT say about Sarah Palin's abilities!!!?

July 15, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. Chumlee

Please CNN: keep the Palin trailer-trash off your pages - you are insulting intelligent people!

July 15, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |