Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run
July 15th, 2011

Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run

(CNN) – Bristol Palin talked politics with Jay Leno Thursday, saying Sarah Palin's mid-term resignation as Alaska governor won't hurt her chances of running for president.

The 20-year-old said her mom stepped down in 2009 in response to a surge of lawsuits.

"It was just costing the state tons of money and us personally tons of money, and she just wasn't able to do her job with those lawsuits being filed," Bristol said.

Leno, however, pointed out that lawsuits against governors are "part of the job" in state politics.

"Not to the magnitude that she was getting," Bristol said. "She just wanted to put her state first."

The former Alaska governor was the subject of multiple ethics complaints, including an investigation that her staff allegedly pressured a public official to fire a state trooper who had been through a messy divorce with Palin's sister.

When Palin resigned in July 2009, she said she had already decided against running for re-election and felt that her time as a lame-duck governor would be wasteful for the state.

In another media appearance, Bristol told HLN's Dr. Drew Pinsky in an hour long special to air this coming Thursday that she "definitely" agrees her mom could win.

"I think she's so smart, and I think she can debate anyone and do very well," Bristol said.

When asked if Bristol hopes her mom doesn't make it to the White House–given the added media attention–Bristol said, "no."

"I think that people are going to be talking about my family and her and everyone else, uh, no matter what we're doing," Bristol said.

This summer Palin has visited crucial voting states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, but she has yet to announce a decision on whether she'll join the 10-member field of GOP presidential hopefuls.

But, according to Palin, Bristol has already weighed in on her mom's 2012 decision.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said in a recent interview with Newsweek. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

Filed under: 2012 • Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. jim

Palin Power .....

Thanks for your comment! You make me laugh everytime I read your posts!!!!

Keep it cummin!!!

July 15, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Mr. Moderate

Wow, get knocked up at 17 by a loser, drop out of high school and along comes magazine covers, reality TV, a house in Arizona and an appearance on Jay Leno. Ain't America great!

July 15, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Jim

@Palin Power

Your comments crack me up? Thanks for the laugh. Palin isn't runnning she cannot afford to. Plus running agains people that actually finished their jobs. It is absolutley horrendous she encourages her daughter to do these types of publicity event. The whole family is white trash.

Thanks for the laugh

July 15, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Rudy NYC

Palin Power wrote:
    BEHOLD our next President and first daughters. We WILL have 8 years of the Palins in the White House and unheard of greatness and prosperity never before seen.
    --------------
    Wake up, Todd. I know it's you.

July 15, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. Midwest

YES! I personally want a person who was so corrupt at being a governor of the smallest state in the union, that the few other people in the country all sued her, for president of my country!!

July 15, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  6. DIANA

I've lost respect for Leno a long time ago but this is a new low even for him. Really?! You couldn't find anybody else to fill up five minutes of your show?

As an Obama supporter, I hope Sarah runs and wins the Republican nomination. This way our President won't have to spend too much time campagining and I miss Tina Fey on Saturday Night Live.

July 15, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  7. Sure Sarah

I'm sure the $1.6 BILLION budget deficit had nothing to do with it. She was concerned about 2 things. 1) Being found guilty of ethics violations 2) The deficit would make her look bad if she ran for President. I remember her saying she could do more for the state without the distractions of the office. Yep. Leaving Alaska to tour the US is the best thing for the state.

July 15, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  8. Aaron

Funny how she failed to mention that her mother got a much more lucrative offer from the billionaire Koch brothers to compel her to do Alaska a favor and resign.

July 15, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  9. Santa Fean

I would vote for President Obama again instead of Ms. "quitter" Palin. We already had a "quitter" who was a total puppet in President "resigned from the National Guard during the Vietnam War" Bush. Bush is just like Palin without a dress. Both are uninformed and unintelligent and proud of it. Happy Birthday to me!

July 15, 2011 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  10. ElPerrazo

We love following the antics of these Alaskan hillbillies and those mindless drones that follow them. No matter how much she travels to exotic third world nations and studies her globe, when she is without her notes she is more entertaining than a Robin Williams monologue. I am just amazed at the media who are sucked into her web of mindless babble as if she has credibility on any topic outside of skinning a moose. But then again, we love our reality television. Stay tuned for next week's episode of "The House of Stupids" when Sarah meets Ghandi and Bristol visits the Pope.

July 15, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  11. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

So what you are essentially saying is your mother caved under pressure. And what makes you think she could perform any better if she was in the Oval Office? Oh, I know. She would quit and Vice-President Rick Santorum would be sworn in as President (What, you thought I was going to say Vice-President Bachmann?)

July 15, 2011 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  12. T

Why CNN.....why do you continue promoting this family. CNN please you must be a suporter of PALIN'S.
    Who cares....want a waste of time and energy CNN> Can we read REAL NEWS

July 15, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. TheAlaskaCurmudgeon

Worse than the Manson Family, I tell ya.

July 15, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. rubyredman

Palin Power

_________________________________________________________-

Greatest comment on the board – BAR NONE!!! Whenever life gets tough and things look bleak, there's nothing like reading the thoughts of a Palin supporter to put an ear to ear grin on my face.

Thank you anonymous soul for appearing so ignorant so you can brighten my day. Your unintentional humor is greatly appreciated. Keep up the ignorance, it makes me happy :)

July 15, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  15. acura2010

The daughter just as dumb as the mother!

July 15, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  16. nagrom

Jay You have really sunk to an all time new low. Even Conan can beat you now. How sad your life and story has become. Now you have to have people on your show that just might make you look have way decent. Money is as money does. UGH

July 15, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  17. aklucia

Curiously, the lawsuit that cost the most money was filed by Sarah Palin during the 2008 campaign when she worried Troopergate would sink her. Indeed, it did. Sarah Palin is a joke and her 15 minutes are up.

July 15, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  18. gene stewart

Seriously, Sholdn't anything about the Palins be in the News of the Weird section ?

July 15, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  19. Me 3

The whole Palin clan are nut jobs. So are most of the right wingers. Look at Bachman's husband. Look at how many of the right wing gay bashers turned out to be gay themselves. I believe most of them are victums of right wing abusive parents. They cannot live up to the sandards they set forth for others.

July 15, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Mike in SA

Steve – Your comment "This country is stupid, no doubt about it but if American's are so stupid that they would vote Palin in as president then I will sell my home and move out of this country for good. I promise."

Your promise is highly suspicious in nature given the number of people who "promised" to leave if Bush was reelected and never did, if Obama was elected and never did. Personally, if I thought by electing Ms Palin president I could automatically get rid of people like you...I'd vote for her. Since that would never happen, I'll vote for a different candidate.

July 15, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  21. Haren

This is exactly the problem we have in this country, giving voice to a ill informed person who does not know you know what I mean from Elbow.

July 15, 2011 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  22. Marco

What she has to say...unimportant. What she thinks...less important than unimportant. Her opinions....worthless. It is funny that she went on Leno's show because after her plastic surgery, they have matching chins.

July 15, 2011 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  23. GSMITH

If Sarah Palin becomes President it will be the smartest thing this Country did in a long time, what was stupid was voting for Barack Obama for President. SARAH PALIN FOR PRESIDENT ON 2012.

July 15, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. gary

@ Steve: You Devils said you would leave if George W. won but you stayed your sanket asses here and bitched for 8 long years. Leave BASTARDS and take allllllll of the Liberal cretures with you Please... Gay, Food Stampers, Welfarers, Anti Crisis and ALL

July 15, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Jay

My prediction – Palin continues to drag out the "announcement" just so she can see her name in print and hear it in the media. She will announce around LABOR day to show she is a "common folk"! However, by April 15th, 2012 she will be out of the race and we will hear from good old Sarah " I tried to run for MY country because I am SO much more Patriotic than everyone else on the planet!" "I COULD have fixed the economy and I COULD have put Americans back to work!" "HOWEVER, the LAMESTREAM media just wouldn't let me run so I could SINGLE HANDEDLY save the good old USA!"
    She will run with the knowing she will never win but she will Martyr herself for the one and the only cause that she believes in – "Milking the sheep that follow her without question!" Along the way we will get to hear a whole lot of nonsense – so sit back relax and enjoy the show.

July 15, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |