Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run
July 15th, 2011

Bristol Palin optimistic about mom's 2012 run

(CNN) – Bristol Palin talked politics with Jay Leno Thursday, saying Sarah Palin's mid-term resignation as Alaska governor won't hurt her chances of running for president.

The 20-year-old said her mom stepped down in 2009 in response to a surge of lawsuits.

"It was just costing the state tons of money and us personally tons of money, and she just wasn't able to do her job with those lawsuits being filed," Bristol said.

Leno, however, pointed out that lawsuits against governors are "part of the job" in state politics.

"Not to the magnitude that she was getting," Bristol said. "She just wanted to put her state first."

The former Alaska governor was the subject of multiple ethics complaints, including an investigation that her staff allegedly pressured a public official to fire a state trooper who had been through a messy divorce with Palin's sister.

When Palin resigned in July 2009, she said she had already decided against running for re-election and felt that her time as a lame-duck governor would be wasteful for the state.

In another media appearance, Bristol told HLN's Dr. Drew Pinsky in an hour long special to air this coming Thursday that she "definitely" agrees her mom could win.

"I think she's so smart, and I think she can debate anyone and do very well," Bristol said.

When asked if Bristol hopes her mom doesn't make it to the White House–given the added media attention–Bristol said, "no."

"I think that people are going to be talking about my family and her and everyone else, uh, no matter what we're doing," Bristol said.

This summer Palin has visited crucial voting states such as Iowa and New Hampshire, but she has yet to announce a decision on whether she'll join the 10-member field of GOP presidential hopefuls.

But, according to Palin, Bristol has already weighed in on her mom's 2012 decision.

"I think Bristol has made up her mind, and Bristol wants me to run for president," Palin said in a recent interview with Newsweek. "But we're still thinking about it. I'm still thinking about it."

Filed under: 2012 • Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. vikingslost

Oh Gawd, I knew I smelled something when I got on here. Someone is thinking about running for President. You got to be frikking kidding me, right? Sarah can not hold a job long enough to get her bloomers in a wad. I am really amazed that CNN or someone within CNN gives these people some media coverage. lol

July 15, 2011 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  2. pam

the palins are trash

July 15, 2011 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  3. vwman

Wow! No one in this family has a clue about reality!

Sareh aint going to run for Prez.

July 15, 2011 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  4. Anonymous

WIN.."Yes she can"

Sarah Palin will make a great President as a mother of five...she sure know how to balance the budget...
    As far the media wanting to hold her stepping aside as Gov. of Alaska....well looky..looky Obama quit his senate-seat and
    so did Hillary Clinton before serving their full term...so media shut your mouth....!

===============
    So, if the McShame-Palin ticket had won the election (Thank goodness, they didn't), McShame should have remained Senator and Palin should have remained Governor ?

July 15, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Pete

To ride the wave of negativity I must say I'm impressed with a lot of the comments on this board. Posters are calling Bristol "STUPID" and telling her to get an education when their own post is pull of misspellings and incorrect usage of pronouns and contractions. If you're calling someone stupid at least run a spell check.

July 15, 2011 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  6. PoliticalDespot

Hey Bristol. Do you and your family realize WHY the lawsuits were being filed? You make it sound as if mommy was just being picked on because she was a backwoods, gun-toting, helicopter-riding, animal-murdering, lie-telling.....etc...etc.... There just isn't enough room. Well it's not completely true. She and daddy were dumb and said a lot of stupid stuff and stuck their noses where they shouldn't have been and implicated themselves in all kinds of stuff.

July 15, 2011 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  7. mpagel

Does anyone else get the feeling that Sarah Palin is running for Vice-President. She's pretty savvy, so she has to know that she can't win the Presidential election. But she craves the attention and the chance to deliver sound-bites of criticism, which is a possible (but misguided) role for a VP. And Palin as VP would "whip up the base" for the GOP. Romney-Palin 2012? SNL: Call Tina Fey!!!!

July 15, 2011 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  8. Joe

Wow! Another Palin Ticker headline! You liberals are so obsessed.

July 15, 2011 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  9. Jo Jo

Chip of the old block or whatever it is for women...I'll say

July 15, 2011 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  10. Becca

I just wish these people would go back to ALASKA and stay for god's sake! Oh and Levi's family too. I like most of the Americans just wants them to go away. Oh and that other woman that thinks she will be president too. They are such stupid people. If Palin and that other stupid woman runs for president I am not even going to vote I am just packing up and moving out of this country!

July 16, 2011 12:45 am at 12:45 am |
  11. Doc Ock

ummmmmmm if palin had to quit her term as governor because of the "pressure" of ethics allegations and some lawsuits, then how in the world would she be able to deal with the stress of being president? Does this not seem odd? Whether you like Obama, Bush etc or not, the fact of the matter is it is that being President is one very high stress, pressure cooker of a job. Two wars, Lybia, Iran, North Korea, economic crisis at home, Europe about to go bankrupt, immigration, polarized domestic politics and at least seven million other things..........
    palin is a fraud, a liar, a hypocrite, has no integrity and has demonstrated time and again that she is just not very intelligent. What does that say about the people who would vote for her??? Scaaaary.

July 16, 2011 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  12. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

I wonder how many biscuits one has to hold up to Bristol to get her to roll over?

July 16, 2011 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  13. Rhona

Gee Bristol, maybe in between not getting pregnant while you were practicing faith-based abstinence (oops!) and then honorably marrying the father of your child (oops!) and learning to dance unlike a cow (oops!)....you could have advised your quitter Mommy that if she didn't want all those ethics charges, she should have...you know...behaved ethically (oops!).

July 16, 2011 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  14. Katie Couric

Dear Bristol,
    I would like to interview you.
    I know I used dirty underhanded tricks when I interviewed your mom and I sincerely apologize for that.
    I asked really, really hard questions of her.
    I promise I will give you all the questions ahead of time so you can study and know what to say when I ask you zingers
    like what is your favorite color of lip gloss?

July 16, 2011 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  15. chuck

Why is this slutty nobody that got drunk , knocked up while camping and had sex with somebody (not sure who), on Leno ?? Does he have noone else to ask on?? Bristle is advertising for her pathetic mother. She is an uneducated unattractive (creepy chin) uninformed money monger.This whole family plays the victim everything is always everyone elses fault poor, poor poor Sarah. She will NEVER RUN AND NEVER BE PREZ, EVER. Sarah and Bristol stay home and take care of your kids–your family is a complete disaster. Ifeel really sorry for bristols son-it is sooo sad. Both terrible mothers.

July 16, 2011 01:25 am at 1:25 am |
  16. Cathie

She put herself first. if she had done no wrong no lawusits needed. how many other guvrs have been sued? Most cannot be sued due ot state laws and she must have then knows she would lose and she quit. Being a leader is not about debating but dong what is right even in rough times..

July 16, 2011 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  17. CF

The kid named Bristol ain't sharp as a pistol
    When she takes the Sarah Stump

July 16, 2011 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  18. s kel

gary,GSMITH, Palin Power, Russ from Md , Mike from SA, and the other narrow minded, stupid, lack of intellegent thought republican/tea bagger morons on here. I love your mindless ignorant rants and hillbilly inbread inspired statments you all have contributed on here. Keep it up, I love the low brow humor given by you all.

July 16, 2011 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  19. Doug504

What do we learn from this?

If Sarah Palin is elected President all we have to do is file a bunch of lawsuits against her and she will resign.

That Sarah Palin can "debate anyone" unless it's a reporter in a one on one interview.

This info is provided by Bristol who advocates abstinence even though she didn't practice abstinence (damn wine coolers) and is moving in with two boys for a TV show.

July 16, 2011 03:00 am at 3:00 am |
  20. CBR

This is news because?

Good grief, CNN just has to cover whatever the Palins choose to do. The main stream media which she calls the lame stream media does not have to keep her on the front page. Ms. Palin's resignation from the post of Governor of Alaska was a calculated move. She could not earn or command the millions of dollars nor could she fly all over the country as governor so she resigned.

July 16, 2011 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  21. Anonymous

Please, please, PLEASE, P L E A S E !!!!! RUN Sara Palin! You'd be doing our world a great favor to give Obama an opportunity to make real change in our country/world. So, for the sake of a shoe-in, please, please RUN and WIN the GOP vote!!!!

July 16, 2011 05:21 am at 5:21 am |
  22. Reality

I thought Sarah stepped down because she felt she could do more for Alaska without the burden of office? I guess she did by leaving the state for most of the year. Reality check. She resigned when the state had a $1.9 BILLION budget deficit. The solution she had was manipulating numbers and changing revenue projections coupled with taking money out of the state's savings. Her goal was two fold. Resign before ethics charges were proven and ruined any hope she had of becoming president. The other was to resign and let others take blame for the budget deficit before she had to accept responsibility and it ruined any hopes of becoming president. I wonder if she blows it on her own terms....will she finally go away?

July 16, 2011 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  23. David8067

The little strumpet doesn't fall far from the tree ...

July 16, 2011 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  24. Dear S

"Dear Scissors: I feel your pain. No one wants to run with me, either."
    - Sarah Palin

July 16, 2011 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  25. Wildone

Bristol Palin's interview with Leno belongs in the entertainment section. Not the political one.

July 16, 2011 07:09 am at 7:09 am |