Bachmann changes tune on 'Cut, Cap and Balance' pledge
July 16th, 2011

Bachmann changes tune on 'Cut, Cap and Balance' pledge

(CNN) – Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann has come around to the conservative "Cut, Cap and Balance" pledge and will sign it on Monday in the key early primary state of South Carolina.

Bachmann's campaign revealed the decision Saturday in an e-mail announcing a two-day trip to South Carolina next week.

She will join most of the other Republican presidential hopefuls, including frontrunner Mitt Romney, who have signed the pledge to dramatically slash government spending and pass a federal balanced budget amendment before agreeing to any hike in the debt ceiling.

Bachmann is among the staunchest conservatives in the Republican field, but she had previously refused to sign the pledge, saying it was too timid.

Instead, she wanted it to include a promise to defund President Obama's health care law as well. That no longer appears to be the case.

Filed under: 2012 • Budget • Debt • Deficit • Michele Bachmann
  1. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

The Republican majority is afflicted with a severe case of 'Aristocracy Fever,' which comes of being so wealthy that they cannot imagine why anyone would be in financial trouble. After all, they aren't. Two-thirds of the House members are millionaires and 68 Senate members to the 1 million buck range. In fact, many are multi-millionaires, bless their little wormy hearts.

The Republican majority is on course to destroy the US and replace it with an aristocracy.

July 16, 2011 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  2. carla

If SS has been taken out of our checks (FICA) since the day we started working, wouldn't the gov't be stealing our money by not paying out the SS when due us?

July 16, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  3. Aezel

I wonder who waved the giant stack of money at her under the counter? Can you say, flip flop?

July 16, 2011 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  4. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It might have helped her with tea partiers if she signed on to this foolish pledge. I would hope that people understand that deficit spending is sometimes needed. There are a few examples. Many of them come from the Great Depression where FDR borrowed to pay for New Deal projects that helped get people back on their feet.

July 16, 2011 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  5. Alina77

Bachmann not a politician, she is just someone that wants to force her principles on everyone else. This woman with the microphone, worse than monkey with the grenade.

July 16, 2011 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  6. teepee

does anyone out there like her?

July 16, 2011 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  7. teepee

people who are against entitlements are rich and don't need them anyway...

July 16, 2011 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  8. Jeff

I hope she is the next President. I hate Liberals. All they want is more tax hikes. Close the Borders, Haul off all the Illegals. No more stimulus. Cut back on government assistance, Half of those people on it are drugs addicts. Start making them take drug tests. That's just a few things that need to change before the country goes to hell!

July 16, 2011 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. Publius Novus

No more of these extracurricular "pledges." The only pledge a president, senator, or congressman should take is the pone prescribed by federal law. Any other pledge is treasonous.

July 16, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  10. I'm a GOP Hostage and so are you

The GOP is one gigantic waste of time. Forget the rank rampant corruption for a second. It is the pure waste of time and energy - that could be and SHOULD be invested into deciding what is actually BEST for America - that burns me up. America would be a vastly superior place if there was no such thing as the Republican Party. America's full potential would be an incredible sight to see. But the GOP doesn't want that.

July 16, 2011 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  11. logic in LA

She probably figures Cap and Trade is like the Olympics with the athletes and the pins.

July 16, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  12. Greg

Another pledge by these childish conservatives. All they're doing is backing themselves in a corner and showing that special interest groups like Grover control them. If they want to act like children just do a pinky promise. That way if you have to change course, you don't have it on paper.

July 16, 2011 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  13. Larry King

As a very wealthy american, I applaud Michelle Bachmann and the republican party for putting my needs first. Paying for several houses, servants, luxury vacations, political contributions, and a fleet of new cars is a burden best borne by everyone else. If I pay less in taxes, I can hire more people to take care of my lawn, my security, and my children. If Michelle Bachmann and the republicans cause America to default on its debt, I think its a small price to pay for my happiness.

July 16, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  14. minesweeper

. . . . . and faith healing homosexuals

July 16, 2011 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  15. Silent Majority

Michelle, this is the only oath you need to remember: "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God."

July 16, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  16. Errm

Are people seriously saying they would vote for this loon?

July 16, 2011 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  17. DanW

Wonderful, another pledge that politicians sign. It sounds good, and not signing it makes you look suspect. Then down the road you realize that the pledge has boxed you in so that you can't make a responsible, rational decision. How about "I pledge never to drive faster than the speed limit." Now you have your massively injured child in the car and you need to get to a hospital. Better not violate your pledge. How about "I pledge never to beat my wife." Would you sign such a pledge? And yet your opponent could say "So and so won't even commit to not beating his wife." These pledges are nothing but attempts to gain control of the politicians in a manipulative way.

July 16, 2011 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  18. DanW

Randall isn't sounding so Christian to me. And with a double Masters degree one would think that he could logically argue a point rather than talking about the weight and voice pitch of the husband of his presumed target. Methinks he is a troll, possibly in high school, certainly not a retired military man.

July 16, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  19. marty

If the Republicans can't abide by their oath of office, how can they effectively honor any pledges? Are these pledges some form of a salute to a leader of the pack, yet to be announced? When a significant group of people like candidates Bachmann,
    Romney et al, begin to sign the same pledges, it makes one pause. These are actions of followers, not leaders.

July 16, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  20. billy's mom

I signed a pledge not to vote Republican as long as they include the social conservatives, the anti-freedom facists who want to control our bodies and bedrooms.

July 16, 2011 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  21. maria

It's amazing how the Repuglicans can keep oaths that work against the actual American people not "merican people" – translation the wealthy and corporations.
    It would be nice if all the politicians work together for the good of the people they are suppose to represent.

July 16, 2011 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  22. SDN

@mama: If a Democrat did this, he'd/she'd be called a Republican.

July 17, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  23. Joshua Ludd

And yet they still insist on holding on to those tax breaks for the wealthiest and corporate welfare for corporate jet owners and the oil companies. Lets face it.. this is the same party that got us where we are today. They are the ones who ran up a record debt under Bush and expanded our government by the largest amount ever. When you elect a republican president no matter what they campaigned on, you seem to be able to rely on them for debt, big government, cuts only in programs that help the poor, corporate welfare, and pointless wars that cost us a lot but gain us little to nothing.

July 17, 2011 01:33 am at 1:33 am |
  24. Rick

Michelle Bachmann like many of the Tea Party elite is patently dishonest and reactionary. They support the wealthy over the working classes and the poor. Why this individual who has been caught in so many lies in the past (remember the $200 million claim about Obama's India trip) could be supported by any thoughtful person is beyond comprehension. I am an old man, I have seen many administrations come and go back as far as FDR. The political climate today can only be compared to the McCarthyism of the early 1950s. Most of the countries in the free world continue to progress politically, econmically and socially. We seem to be going backwards. I hope that the citizens of this country can find reason when they vote in the next election. If not, this may be the last time many of them will be able to cast a meaningful vote.

July 17, 2011 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  25. T'sah from Virginia

What makes Bachmann believe she is entitled to be President when she ONLY represents the far-right??????????????

July 17, 2011 01:59 am at 1:59 am |