Coburn offers his own budget plan
July 18th, 2011

Coburn offers his own budget plan

Washington (CNN) – Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Oklahoma, released his version of a budget plan Monday, saying his ideas would save the country $9 trillion over 10 years.

Coburn, who was once part of the so-called Gang of Six - a bipartisan group of senators working towards a deficit reduction plan - said the time to solve America's debt problem is now. Coburn called the debt the largest national security threat in the country.

"The American people are tired of Washington waiting until the last minute to avoid a crisis when it's a crisis that Washington itself created. " said Coburn during a news conference on Monday. "The crisis, though, is not the debt limit nor its deadline.... (it's the) refusal to make hard choices and reduce a debt that has become our nation's greatest national security threat."

The plan, titled "Back in Black," includes cuts to the Department of Defense, entitlement reforms, and shutting down the Department of Education.

Coburn's plan also looks to get rid of approximately $1 trillion in tax expenditures and loopholes, something members of his own party have criticized.

"My deal was I was getting frustrated that we (the Gang of Six) weren't fixing the problem big enough," Coburn said.

"The minimum we have to have is $4 trillion and people still don't get that," said Coburn. "You're trying to send a signal to the international financial community that you're on the way to getting well."

The senator, who is also a medical doctor, continued with the medical analogies and called out his fellow colleagues for not being bold enough and worrying only about the political ramifications of a budget deal.

"We need a bunch of spinal transplants in both parties," said Coburn.

Filed under: Budget • Debt • Deficit • Tom Coburn
  1. GG Liddie

Most of the time I do not respect much of what he says (like most con/lib politicians) ... but this tid-bit is enough for me to pause and reconsider in this case ... this time ... for this Senator!

July 18, 2011 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  2. Anonymous

20% from things republicans support, 80% from things that democrats support. The sad part is, that's about the most bi-partisan plan the republicans have made so far.

No, if the republicans want a real reduction in SS and Medicare, they have to swallow a real tax hike as well.

July 18, 2011 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  3. jean

First, do no harm.

July 18, 2011 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  4. David

I got a plan that lowers the debt by 30 trilion by 2018.

July 18, 2011 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  5. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I have had enough of this crap! I am 52 and starting all over again. When are these people going to get that they work for us? I have called, emailed and written these idiots and all I ever get is a canned response. Pass the damn debt ceiling already. Tired of getting my butt kicked with loses in my retirement because these idiots don't know the first thing about keeping the markets stable. Get to work on creating manufacturing jobs instead of trade deals with South America. People, you stayed home in 2010 and look what the cat dragged in.
    GET IT DONE

July 18, 2011 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. realist

I like the way he thinks and is approaching this problem head on.

July 18, 2011 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  7. Clwyd

Wow! Is this man playing with a full deck? At least he has some increased revenue which the rest of his party want the wealthy to keep at all costs!

July 18, 2011 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. BJ

That sounds great! however, ho do we cut and what do we cut to reach the $9 trillion over 10 years?. Its like someone saying I want to go to the Jupiter but he/she never states how!!. Substance, substance thats what we need!!

July 18, 2011 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  9. maikl

Congresswoman J. LEE start to play race card. It's funny. If you criticisms Obama you racist. This YES WE CAN> How ugly . I never will vote for him because he play with old fox S.S. checks. Shame on our president. I will bad because I voted for him in 2008.

July 18, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  10. Sgt Schultz

Wow what a novelty. ONE Republican actually said he would cut defense spending. Gee I wonder who doubled the defense budget going on out of control shopping spree and War for Cheney's corporate welfare.

July 18, 2011 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  11. zip

Wow. Who knew Coburn was an AC/DC fan.

July 18, 2011 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. Brian

I Agree. This is the type of spend cutting deficit we need for the future and prosperity of the United States. The Irony of many of these bills does not include cutting benefits from people in Congress. Clearly, Congress is more worried about their own position of power than opening their eyes to see the sacrifices Average Joes People are making everyday.

July 19, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  13. Claudia, Houston, Tx

It's jail time for Coburn, Ensign left him holding the bag.

July 19, 2011 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  14. thomas

Oklahoma , where the GDP is dust !

July 19, 2011 02:26 am at 2:26 am |
  15. johnsonblah

"The senator said that his plan wasn't so much a specific budget, per se, but rather a "menu of ideas." Coburn admitted that some of those ideas on the menu may overlap with those of the "Gang of Six." "

i.e – What I say sounds good but has no substance. Great.

"...shutting down the Department of Education. "

i.e. Let the rich go to school and get richer. While the poor works at fast food joints. The American Dream for everyone.

July 19, 2011 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  16. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

"Not a specific budget" means that during times of political crisis the GOBPbaggin' cult of corporatism has nothing to offer average Americans but sound bites and coloring book pictures. I'm willing to bet Coburn's plan does not ask corporations or the filthy rich to make any sacrifices, while expecting the rest of us to carry their weight.

July 19, 2011 08:11 am at 8:11 am |
  17. bb

AC/DC would not approve of their work being hijacked by the likes of a f00l like Colburn.

July 19, 2011 08:22 am at 8:22 am |