Obama nominates Ohio's ex-attorney general to lead consumer bureau
July 18th, 2011

Obama nominates Ohio's ex-attorney general to lead consumer bureau

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) - President Obama nominated Richard Cordray on Monday to head the new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, an independent agency set to launch on Thursday.

"I look forward to working with Richard Cordray as this bureau stands up on behalf of consumers all across the country," Obama said Monday in an address from the Rose Garden.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Elizabeth Warren • President Obama
  1. frank in indiana

Spineless. Elizabeth Warren would be a better choice. Its going to be a fight against the GOP clowns anyway. What's the fool thinking, bipartisanship again? The GOP do nothing. He needs to get that through his thick legal skull.

July 18, 2011 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  2. ConservaFASCISTS/Domestic Terrorists/Taliban/Al Queda/TRAITORS

He would have not been my first choice for the position, but since Elizabeth Warren may be running for Senate, I guess he'll suffice.

July 18, 2011 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  3. Rudy NYC

I hope they can put an end to some business practices that amount to entrapment. For example, when you buy auto insurance you may not get a copy of the contract until after you have signed and paid your money. That contract may not arrive in the mail until it is too late to cancel out of the agreement.

July 18, 2011 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. Marie MD

Sorry but this job should have gone to Warren who has proven she really cares and she got the ball rolling on this. Very disappointed on this appointment. Feminds me of where I work. It's not what you do bu who you know.

July 18, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Ed

Just what we need another job for the government.

I thought Obama said that the government would get smaller under his watch but from what I see it's like his spending out of control.

Mr. Obama you are no leader that's for sure.

July 18, 2011 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  6. Average Joe

This is a great thing for mainstreet America!!!! I hope he brings Justice to those who are responsible for the "Gambling Party of Wallstreet!! Most of all , "Please protect Americans from "Elitist Extremism of the TeaParty/Gop Corporate Pledge Faction. The American people are behind the President, and you Mr.Cordray. Obama2012

July 18, 2011 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

Ed wrote:
    --------------
    Government has shrunk. He's had a hiring freeze since 2009. It is not the government is spending more as much as the fact that it is taking in less.

As conservatives love to point out, the solution to the problem is jobs if you wish to increase revenue. But, conservatives are conveniently ignoring the fact that at least a couple hundred billion of the deficit is because of high unemployment.

July 18, 2011 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  8. Sniffit

Queue conservative trolls trying to gin up progressive irritation with Obama over Warren not getting it by pretending to be a progressive irritated with Obama over Warren not getting it.

Psssst: she's probably running for Senate. Keep your progressive manpampers dry.

July 18, 2011 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |