Potential Perry donors to meet Tuesday night in Austin
July 19th, 2011

Potential Perry donors to meet Tuesday night in Austin

Austin, Texas (CNN) – Some potential donors and bundlers for Texas Governor Rick Perry, if he mounts a presidential campaign, are meeting Tuesday in Austin, a Republican source confirms.

These money men have been talking to possible financial supporters around the country weighing how much support a candidacy would garner and will deliver their preliminary results during these meetings, the source told CNN.

The Austin American-Statesman reported four dozen potential donors were attending the session. Perry spokesman Mark Miner told CNN the governor is not attending the meetings but would have dinner with the donors Tuesday evening.

This comes as Perry is seriously weighing whether to mount a campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.

He has been calling many Republican activists and party leaders in the key early voting states in the past few weeks and on Tuesday spoke by satellite with a group of South Carolina pastors.

Over the weekend an interview Perry gave to the Des Moines Register stoked more speculation that he was ready to jump in.

"I'm not ready to tell you that I'm ready to announce that I'm in," he told the paper. "But I'm getting more and more comfortable every day that this is what I've been called to do. This is what America needs."

At a bill signing Monday, he sought to clarify his reference to being "called" was not meant to infer that God was seeking him to run after he faced some criticism for the remark.

"There's a lot of different ways to be called. My mother may call me for dinner," he said.
"There are people calling from all across the country, into me directly or to people they know and saying, 'Man we wish you would consider this,'" he added.

Later this week Perry, who is headed of the Republican Governors Association, will travel to Aspen to attend a major gathering of 200 of the group's donors – a potential large base of financial support if he enters the GOP presidential sweepstakes, a source with knowledge of the meeting confirmed to CNN.

Perry will head to California for private meetings with business leaders to talk about jobs and the economy, his spokesman told CNN.

Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry • Texas
  1. B Rye

Don't worry folks! The Ron Paul wave will drown the rats. Ron Paul 2012!!!!!!!!!

July 19, 2011 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Bill

So, then all those who joined the military to serve their country because they found their “calling” are all religious fanatics. I’ve heard countless politicians, left and right, saying it was their “calling” to enter public service. How is that any different? Why so much hate? Why couldn’t you liberal accept that other people have their own believes and views. Just because conservatives don’t see things the way you do doesn’t mean they’re fanatics. Where is that tolerance you so frequently speak of and required from the right?

July 19, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. Clwyd

Give Perry your money and then let him have Texas secede from the Union as he has declared before!

July 19, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  4. Graybeard

Perry is just doing this to raise some pocket cash. His cut of the Trans-Texas Tollway boondoggle is falling, his cut of the F-1 track hasn't kicked in yet, and there are a dozen others out getting part of the Presidential Race pie. Gov Good-hair needs to build his retirement fund – that state-funded retirement he'll get will only give him some 100k a year.

Save America – vote anti-Republican!

July 19, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  5. kat

Come on in Mr. Perry, the waters fine.

July 19, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  6. Me

I can't vote for anyone that wants to leave this great country simply because a black man is in office. If Perry were truly a patriot , he would have said I don't agree with the path we're on and when I'm able, I'm going to offer my services to fix it. Not threaten to commit a treasonous act.

July 19, 2011 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |