Wasserman Schultz, West let the fur fly
July 19th, 2011

Wasserman Schultz, West let the fur fly

Washington (CNN)-The debt debate got ugly over the internet between two Florida representatives on either side of the House aisle. Freshman Congressman Allen West ripped into Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz over e-mail following her comments on the House floor Tuesday.

Calling the Democratic National Committee Chair the "most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member" of the House, West said, "Look, Debbie, I understand that after I departed the House floor you directed your floor speech comments directly towards me. Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige."

CNN obtained a copy of the e-mail from a congressional source.

Wasserman Schultz offended the tea party favorite by directly disparaging his support of the "Cut, Cap and Balance" bill that went on to pass the House of Representatives late Tuesday-after he left the floor.

"Incredulously, the gentleman from Florida. who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of this plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries," she said, calling West's approval of the plan "unbelievable from a member from South Florida."

West fired back in his message, challenging the four-term Democrat.

"If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. Focus on your own congressional district!" he railed.

"From this time forward, understand that I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior…You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!"

But Jonathan Beeton, a spokesman for Wasserman Schultz, charged that West's grievance was not actually with the congresswoman.

"I don't think that Congressman West is upset at the Congresswoman, but rather with the fact that she highlighted that he and other Republicans are once again trying to balance the budget on the backs of seniors, children and the middle class," Beeton said. "The truth hurts."

And West refused to leave his gripe on the House floor. Signing the e-mail "Steadfast and Loyal," West vowed, "I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip."

CNN's Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.

Filed under: Allen West • Debbie Wasserman Schultz • Debt • Deficit
  1. Just As I Thought

If this "female" congresswoman had been say.......Machetle Bachmann, & this uuummmmm black man had been say.........Obama.....the liberal/left leaning, DNC supportive Media would had cut, diced, & served Ms Bachmann on a griddle! Ms Schultz is in way over her head & everyone knows the only reason she covers Obambi's backside is because he thinks she is...ahahahuuuuuhhhhh "CUTE"!
    It won't be long now! 2012 is closer than you know! The Economy will turn around over night, as will the Jobs problem, as soon as we Conservatives can get the Welfare spicier shut off!

July 19, 2011 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  2. Rick

Allen West is a conservative African American? Isn't that an oxy-moron? Republicans are the worst kind of Americans. They have no interest in seeing the economy improve and will do everything possible to make it worse because that is the only way they will have a chance to win back the Presidency. They are despicable and border on treason!

July 19, 2011 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  3. Bert in UT

Poor baby! He got criticized on the House floor! Probably the first person in history to experience that.

July 19, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  4. Brad Langdon

How incredible could our financial position be, as a country, if both sides of the isle cared enough to talk to each other like adults and work together to get us back on track instead of acting like adolescents? This exchange, as reported, between Ms. Wasserman-Schultz and Mr. West is nothing more than talking about another kid behind their back and when the find out they offer the penultimate adolescent response, "I'm telling on you!"

My God, my God; where are the adults in Washington?

July 19, 2011 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  5. vonnise cobb

Go Rep. West. I hope you do not apoligize tomorrow. This person has had this coming for a long time but I did not believe I would actually see her get it in my lifetime. You give me hope for our party. I adore you.....Keep up the good work.

July 19, 2011 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. Paul

Well, at least he's not a little crybaby.

July 19, 2011 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  7. Squigman

Bring it on. Three stupid words uttered by the first, and hopefully only mentally challenged president, and now his underlings in the congress and senate. One of these days you'll utter these words in public, then you'll see who holds the power in the country, you or the people. Go ahead. Act like it's high noon at the O.K. Corral. You're bound to be surprised at the response.

July 19, 2011 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  8. True-Lu

Looks like West could give Wasserman Schultz some lessons in being a "Lady" ... an hysterical drama-queen Lady, that is.

July 19, 2011 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  9. Joe, San Diego

Ugh such bickering little children getting paid over $175K to represent the people of America... Congress is so out of touch and the Republicans swayed by some Tea Party what next the Democrats favouring the Justice League.

July 19, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  10. Manny

I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip."

And????

Who does he think that he scaring? Remember, he's not messing with the Iraqi's that was he other life. If he can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

July 19, 2011 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  11. seth

I like this guy, I wish he was running for President!!!!!!!

July 19, 2011 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |
  12. Jeff in Mississippi

West is such a crybaby. How old is he...12?

July 19, 2011 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  13. Joshua Ludd

Ah, yes.. Allen West... the nutjob who claims he has a higher security clearance than the president.

July 19, 2011 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  14. Scott

Some advice for Rep. West: I f you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!

July 19, 2011 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  15. SecedingfromTexas

No, sir. You are the epitome of what the Tea Party stands for. I will not repeat the words you used, but if you feel
    no shame nor embarrassment, which I am sure you do not, you have proven that you and your cohorts are not
    what America needs. All of you can dish out the nasty name calling, the threats to your own members, and those
    of the Republican Party if they do not bow to your wishes. But you are weak, and pathetic when you cannot
    tolerate criticism, or even a different point of view. You are a disgusting individual and you do not carry that banner
    alone. You march to a different drummer, and the drum beats are getting more hateful by the minute.

July 19, 2011 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  16. Clarice

West does not deserve a place in the U.S. Congress. His extremely discourteous behavior has no place in this legislative body. Hopefully the good people of Florida will realize the error of their ways in electing such an unqualified and thin-skinned hot-tempered and nasty person and will quickly return him to wherever he came from in November 2012. He is actually pretty stomach turning. And what's with having to report her to his "management"? Another sign of weakness. I nominate West for "Coward of the House."

July 19, 2011 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  17. windrider2

So West attacks Schultz as vile and despicable for not criticizing him to his face, and then he turns around and slanders her via email, and not to her face? Who's being sophmoric here? Pot, meet kettle. Besides, she's right. He and his Republican comrades DO intend to balance the budget on the backs of their senior and disabled constituents. Of course, the "Cat, Cap and Balance" bill is a perfect example of a frivolous waste of taxpayer dollars since they all know it will never pass the Senate, and would not likely be ratified by State legislatures since they know that all those cuts and caps would further affect state budgets that are already being crippled by massive unemployment, homelessness, and existing cuts in federal services. They're using our tax dollars to campaign for the 2012 election, plain and simple. That's pretty vile and despicable in my book.

July 19, 2011 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  18. Knucklehead

Classy. These guys are very classy.

July 19, 2011 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  19. me

Wasserman-Schultz uses typical language against an opponent and he responds by going all NBA player towards her. Congressman West, if you can't take the heat, get out of Congress.

July 19, 2011 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  20. Andrew

Bit of a thin skin, Mr. West?

July 19, 2011 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  21. Tom

If West can't take the heat then he should get the, you know what, out of the kitchen. The seniors , the so called middle class, and the poor better understand that the Republicants are trying to transfer more wealth to the already wealthy at the expense of the less well off. It is wrong that the wealthiest of Americans pay less in taxes than their secretaries. Welfare abounds in the Corporate, Agriculture, Financial, Investment communities. Yes cut waste, fraud and abuse but restore the historical fairness in the tax code and make sure that the wealthy pay their fair share.

July 19, 2011 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  22. Name Rick Marts

O my, what does he expect when he screws with us seniors! There are 50 million of us that don't like what the wing nuts are doing. Can't wait for 2012.

July 19, 2011 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  23. thomas

Maybe Allen West shouldn't have departed the floor , maybe he should hang around and do his job !
    His attendance is in question at a time of importance !

July 19, 2011 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  24. KMC

wah wah waaaa ! crybaby
    My ! aren't Republicans thin skinned nowadays.

July 19, 2011 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  25. Sgt Schultz

West is a nut. Debbie is simply stating the facts and he can't handle it. Own up to your wingnut agenda and stop trying to hide from the truth.

July 19, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |