Wasserman Schultz, West let the fur fly
July 19th, 2011

Wasserman Schultz, West let the fur fly

Washington (CNN)-The debt debate got ugly over the internet between two Florida representatives on either side of the House aisle. Freshman Congressman Allen West ripped into Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz over e-mail following her comments on the House floor Tuesday.

Calling the Democratic National Committee Chair the "most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member" of the House, West said, "Look, Debbie, I understand that after I departed the House floor you directed your floor speech comments directly towards me. Let me make myself perfectly clear, you want a personal fight, I am happy to oblige."

CNN obtained a copy of the e-mail from a congressional source.

Wasserman Schultz offended the tea party favorite by directly disparaging his support of the "Cut, Cap and Balance" bill that went on to pass the House of Representatives late Tuesday-after he left the floor.

"Incredulously, the gentleman from Florida. who represents thousands of Medicare beneficiaries, as do I, is supportive of this plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries," she said, calling West's approval of the plan "unbelievable from a member from South Florida."

West fired back in his message, challenging the four-term Democrat.

"If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. Focus on your own congressional district!" he railed.

"From this time forward, understand that I shall defend myself forthright against your heinous characterless behavior…You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!"

But Jonathan Beeton, a spokesman for Wasserman Schultz, charged that West's grievance was not actually with the congresswoman.

"I don't think that Congressman West is upset at the Congresswoman, but rather with the fact that she highlighted that he and other Republicans are once again trying to balance the budget on the backs of seniors, children and the middle class," Beeton said. "The truth hurts."

And West refused to leave his gripe on the House floor. Signing the e-mail "Steadfast and Loyal," West vowed, "I am bringing your actions today to our Majority Leader and Majority Whip."

CNN's Deirdre Walsh contributed to this report.

Filed under: Allen West • Debbie Wasserman Schultz • Debt • Deficit
  1. Cardog

This guy West is the southern version of Michelle Bachmann. You have to ask yourself this, who the heck is voting for these nut jobs? Mr. West is an embarrassment to the already embarrassed Teapublican party and he should consider resigning.

July 20, 2011 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  2. m1983

I think Mr. West is a Bully and don't know how to treat a woman, would he let someone treat his wife,mother,or sister
    the way he treated MS Wasserman Schultz. I know many people in his district who say they will never vote for him
    again. He come across like a angry black man who hates woman.

July 20, 2011 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  3. Mother Carmody

Mother Carmody has plans for the likes of you, missie. Yes, plans that involve words not spoken since the days of Good Cotton Mather.

July 20, 2011 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  4. Bob in Pa

But I thought Obamacare took care of all our healthcare needs ?

July 20, 2011 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  5. Dan J

While I understand that Wasserman-Schultz did a pretty sleazy, backhanded thing, and is known for being unusually partisan, don't comments like this always come up on the house floor?

July 20, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  6. janelle

It's about time someone stood up to that loudmouth Wasserman Schultz. She is absolutely repugnant. Her arguements don't have an ounce of common sense to them, but apparently she feels if she just keeps screaming the talking points handed to her, someone may actually believe them!

July 20, 2011 12:24 am at 12:24 am |
  7. Snooze70

Typical conservative. Every time they get called out, they play the victim! Go back to your Koch supplied den and stay there. Creep!

July 20, 2011 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  8. Dan, TX

West is quite a little whiner isn't he. She did say it to his face and to all of America on the floor of the House. How much more IN YOUR FACE can you get? West is a disgrace.

July 20, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  9. Richard Larson

Fortunately there is still a modicum of civility in terms of argument in the House. It hasn't gotten to the point that has existed in Wisconsin and Minnesota. West is, as he always has been, much more the ideologue than a representative who is concerned with the welfare of the seniors and Veterans in his district. But he is not alone in this situation. It seems that the majority of Republican members of the House are running in terror from the challenges of this phenomenon called the Tea Party. Understand this, not one of them has been elected to public office. They couldn't give a damn less that the nation could go into default. For them, and the sheep who call themselves Representatives on the Republican side, Default is something you can get out of by filing bankruptcy. Bankrupt nations end up like Zimbabwe. Do we want this nation to descend into uncontrollable debt like has happened in Greece where they are dependent upon the membership of the European Union?

Wasserman-Schultz knows what she is talking about. She is one of the more educated members of the house and is widely known as a woman of virtue. To question her honesty and veracity is so lacking in merit that Congressman West, if he is a man, will immediately retract his specious allegations and go home because we do not need people of his ilk as voting members of the Congress.

July 20, 2011 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  10. Zicke

Not a "lady"? What a chauvinist creep. Proving once again that the Tea Party always stoops to the lowest common denominator.

July 20, 2011 12:30 am at 12:30 am |
  11. Zelda Rabinowitz

Give as good as you get, Mr. West. Don't let them walk all over the "new guy" in the House.

July 20, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  12. Neo-Nutsi Republikkkan

Apparently angry conservatives (okay, that's an oxymoron) like to threaten women. What a surprise.

Funny he didn't respond directly to what she said, and just threatened he instead.

July 20, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  13. CSM

It's obvious Allen West is trying to screw with people's medicare, etc!!... *I* am NOT surprised.

July 20, 2011 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  14. Sank

Go get that Democrat led by Obama the brainless one.

July 20, 2011 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  15. Tom

Allen West was much too charitable to Wasserman Schultz. In addition to being a vile cretin, Wasserman Schultz is a whack job, kook fringe, uber, ultra, hard and far, far, far, far, far, far left, virulent, militant, red-eyed, frothing at the mouth, fundamentalist, extremist, America-hating, hysterical, leftist, feminist, freakshow freak. She's the perfect fit for the Democrat party.

July 20, 2011 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  16. NYC REPUB

Man up Mr. West!!! LOL.... Go Debbie go!
    Ah freshmen they can give it, but they can't take it....Schultz is a hardworking smart congresswoman. Well liked in Florida. Mr. West should learn from her. Though I don't doubt that those who put him there are loyal supporters in his district. Rep. West is full of fire w/ knowhere to go.
    He's also probably scared b/c he voted for the Ryan plan.

July 20, 2011 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  17. Mark

So, he tells her that she should say things to his face via email and he's going to prove he has character by telling on her? Makes perfect sense.

July 20, 2011 12:44 am at 12:44 am |
  18. jb1111

Hurray Congressman West !!!!!

You just said what I and so many others have wanted to say.

Wasserman-Schultz, Obama's spokesperson, has no worthy opponents..... just people who are not Democrats and, therefore, are scum and many other file words in her opinion.

I voted for Obama because he promised bipartisanship and transparency.

But his actions are far, far different than his actions.

I Do Not like Being Lied To.

Needless to say, I will not be voting for him again.

But I WILL be VOTING for anyone who runs against him....... and I would vote a Million times if I could.

July 20, 2011 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  19. Leon

Someone need to put this Nancy Pelosi wannabe in her place. Of course she loves it just like that other loudmouth Weiner who was a liberal darling until he was exposed..I wonder what DWS may be hiding.

July 20, 2011 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  20. markiejoe

West blew it big time with this one. Not only in his vote today in the House, but for his disrespectful email. He's toast.

July 20, 2011 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  21. Fletcher S. Valentine Jr

West should be ashamed of himself... before you go draping yourself in the flag and thinking your still on active duty... NEWS FLASH ...your not! West is the type of officer I despised in my 21 years of service... he uses rank and position to make himself feel important and influence others. Your speaking to a lady, a mother and a cancer survivor if I'm not mistaken. Before you get it in your head that you can tear her down and from what I read basically challenge her to a fight come knock on my door. Bully's like you need to be put in your place... you fooled those poor unsuspecting folks over in the Villages but they're on to you now.

July 20, 2011 12:52 am at 12:52 am |
  22. sharon

He's a nut bar.

July 20, 2011 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  23. mystified

Maybe in his next angry rant, he can help me understand why he left the house floor before this impotent bill, that he and his tea drinkers forced a vote on, passed.

July 20, 2011 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  24. gung hoe

Cudos to mr west old debbie was up to her tricks and west called the willie witch on it work well done oh ya i dont even live in fla I live in michigan

July 20, 2011 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  25. peter

Oh, give me a break, West. Do you have any idea of where you are? In the US Congress. Your vote absolutely impacts not only on the congresswoman's district, but the entire country, and it is absolutely appropriate for her to respond forcefully. Her statement was focused on the issues, yours is the one that is personally offensive. And your threats of tattle telling on the congresswoman to your "parents" in the House is about as childish as has become the norm for Republicans who have no other recourse to face the truth. Is it too hot in that kitchen for you? Get out!

July 20, 2011 01:00 am at 1:00 am |