Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. incredulous

My first comment awaiting moderation, first we heard she takes meds to prevent, during and after her migraines, which one of her aides said and which only a chronic sufferer would do, now she only takes something now and then during an occasional migraine? Hmm... So which is it, Michelle? I hate it when people do that.

July 20, 2011 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  2. Lizzy10

I still think it's all a scam to get us to believe she has a brain.

July 20, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Donald in CA

When she gets a migraine its triggers a ugly tirade against the President. I always thought something was wrong with this congresswomen.

July 20, 2011 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. georgezeller

She gives me a headache

July 20, 2011 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Claudia, Houston, Tx

Bachmann's a legal pill popper.

July 20, 2011 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  6. jb1963

She suffers from migraines and now we will suffer if she gets the nomination.

July 20, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. koshka

Why media never questioned the effect that drug use had on Obama? Just curious....

July 20, 2011 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  8. ___

I'm glad her "congress physician" knows how to correctly spell ondansetron. Not.

July 20, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. Joe

The party is just started and she is already partied out with migraine.

July 20, 2011 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  10. Randy

I hope there is a sequel to the motion picture Dumb & Dumber. I have the perfect cast. Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin. These two idiots would probably win the oscar.

July 20, 2011 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  11. bj bell

If America is not at the bottom we're real close, please - let's elect Michelle Bachmann so we can quickly get to the bottom.

We can then find comfort in knowing that - there's nowhere to go but up.....

July 20, 2011 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  12. Dr Howard and Dr Fine

That three a.m. phonecall could be,."Not tonite!!! I have a headache." These Conservatoids forget all the hoopla THEY created on Mrs Dukaksis and Mrs Kerry. Like it mattered. What about Shrivers history??? Now when we have a person who has headaches put on by stress as a conresswoman , the media is causing a scene. When it is to their advanatge , the lame stream media is not so lame. I am surprised they found she had a brain at all.. We are NOT saying this becuase she is a woman but becuase she is an idiot.

July 20, 2011 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  13. Cy

Her doctor misspelled one of her medications. It's "ondansetron". Surely a typo, but if Bachmann's own doctor can't proofread, and she did not catch the mistake either, then will we let it slide when she makes mistakes as president?

July 20, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  14. ED FL

Hmm a doctor said I was ok. PS he is a doctor for the congress that only works for the congress,and is paid by the congress.Sounds like he is a Dick Cheney advisor.the only thing he feared was the draft. He and Buchanan were Washingtons elite Draft dodgers.Now Bachmann has a fallback when she gets her butt kicked in the primary.

July 20, 2011 08:43 pm at 8:43 pm |
  15. Dustin

Maybe her migraines are being caused by this idiots lack of American History. John Quincy Adams, one of the founding fathers. Ha Ha!! I think she needs a brain transplant, this evangliist moron.

July 20, 2011 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  16. Larry King

She lost me when that Dr.'s note said, "The Honorable...."

July 20, 2011 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  17. BryanF

What I am reading Bachman aside I do not think she will be the Republican nominee and I like her. From what has been written here regarding her migraines, Eisenhower, Kennedy & FDR should and could not have been president because of underlying medical conditions.

July 20, 2011 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  18. G

What happens a weird person gets migraines and becomes President of this country?

July 20, 2011 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  19. Kelly

Boy did she open herself up for critique, although why I would be surprised I dont know? I truly thought it was going to be a doctors note confirming she was a closed minded bigot. I'm relieved that its just migraine.

July 20, 2011 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  20. John

In there Business they say pray they could make a gay person straight. So why doesn't Michele Backmann Just pray the head aches away. Because she Know It was just a way out to cheat people out of there money , and took Government money to. If she Really believe that pray could changes a gay person to go straight , than way Is It she Is seeing a doctor and don't believe Pray would make her headaches good away. She Is nothing but a Hypocrite.

July 20, 2011 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |