Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. GOP = Greed Over People

"...brain scan..."

That makes it official, she actually has one, all this time I thought she was only capable to brain stem activity.

I am no doctor, but I have an idea what causes the migraines for Botox Bachmann.

July 20, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  2. Democrat Class Warfare & Race Baiting - Destroying the economy, destroying the country

When is Obama going to release HIS medical records? OR his school records? Or ANY records for that matter? Why did the Lame Street Media give him a total pass of this?

July 20, 2011 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  3. Marie MD

How much did the flake and her "husband" pay for this crap? Yes, migraines are triggered by foods, drinks or, in the case of many women, menstruation except I believe she is probably WAY PAST THIS AGE!!
    That being said, even if she has one migraine every six months if it's debilitating enough to send you to the hospital it IS a problem. Migraines are NOT your typical headache. You feel like your head is going to explode (and frankly you wish it did if it would relieve the pain), your stomach is affected (you might throw up), light, noise, and your own breathing hurts like heck. Some people have them for a few hours and others for two days.
    Yes, I know what I am talking about because I get them!! Now not as often but just the thought of a migraine hurts.

July 20, 2011 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. John

Michele Bachmann should be President If she was In great health. She Is Unqualified to be President. I be surprise If she win her seat back on Congress.

July 20, 2011 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  5. rhumba

One thought: We don't want someone with a migraine headache or on migraine medications taking that three a.m. call.

July 20, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  6. once upon a horse

@ Democrat Class
    yeah I agree with you...I mean look how long it took for him to release his birth certificate.....which by the way so far NONE of the other 2012ers have been asked to do. You need to ask at least Herman Cain to release his because he's well.....you know!!

July 20, 2011 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  7. vet in texas

She still sucks as a leader and has been getting $174K a year fo 6 years.......she's fleeced the tax payers over a million dollars and hasn't given us anything but non factual soundbites........hilarious! She is a fraud and has no credibility.

Anyone who thinks that Bachmann, Palin, Trump or Cain can beat Obama probably voted for W, not once, but twice has no crediblity when it comes to picking a competent leader.

Bachmann is only in this for a money grab, and all of these suckers keep falling for it over and over again. Hilarious, Hilarious I tell you.

July 20, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Sigh

There are a lot of reasons she shouldn't be President. This isn't one of them. So stupid....

July 20, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. rtbrno65

Well this was a non- story in every sense of the word. I guess next they're going to find out she once ate some ice cream too fast and got an ice crean headache, or that she had a hangnail in for two weeks in 1998.

July 20, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. GI Joe

One side-effect of one of her medications is "confusion" ..........................

How will we know? She's always confused.

July 20, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  11. chuckly

that 'honorable' part is the most suspect part of the letter

July 20, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  12. Bob

Bachman is a nut.

July 20, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  13. John

"Ok terrorists, hold up! I have a headache"! "Oh I'm sorry a dirity bomb just exploded in Times Square but I have to lay down. I have a headache". "Well I'm sorry the Country is going into default. I have to go lay down and take care of this headache"! Need I say more? She's not qualified to be PTOUS. She doesn't even understand the gravity of going into default as a Nation. How in the HECK could she ever be the POTUS...even if she didn't suffer from migraines??????

July 20, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Bill

It's very disturbing thay anyone, I repeat, anyone, would believe she is qualified in any way to be president. This country is in bad shape.

July 20, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. John

She's nothing but a joke who happens to have a very good opinion of herself and delusions of granduer.

July 20, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  16. Beer Drinker

She has migraines because the crazy is trying to get out of her head and she won't let it.

July 20, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  17. bob

Friends , you can take an asprin to get rid of a headache,, but you cant fix stu[pid.

July 20, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  18. justgettinganswers

I know more about Michele in 1 month then I know about Barack in 3 years. Thanks media.

July 20, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  19. Anonymous

Now that all you idiots put your nonsensical two cents worth in, could we please have some comments that actually address the subject of the artical. Maybe if everyone wasn't trying to be a comedian someone might think to question the likelihood that a Congressional doctor would dare to NOT write a letter saying that a Congresswoman's headaches were debilitating?

July 20, 2011 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. Party Pooper

those migraines are god punishing her for judging others whileusing his name without his permission.

July 20, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Paul

The best known trigger for migraine is stress ... and she wants to be President? Forget about it ... not that she had any real chance, I mean, GOP and Tea Party voting for a woman as President are you kidding me? Sure, they say they are progressive, but trust me, in the ballot, if it's a woman, there is no vote for her, even she was Palin.

July 20, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  22. No Bachmann brain

Can we have pictures of her "normal" brain, please? The absence of pictures suggests something is being hidden. Enlarged ventricles, a funny white spot....let's see for ourselves.

July 20, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. Mike Dallas

3:00 A.M. and the phone rings.

"Honey, could you get that, I have a headache".

YIKES!

July 20, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. Brent

Can he explain why she is CRAZY?

July 20, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Lolo

This does not mean jack. Just like the rethugs /tea partiers say Obama paid to hold back his birth certificate, I know this lady paid the congressional physician something or she promised that he would be the next surgeon general if she is elected. You right wing nuts are really pathetic. You are okay so long as it is a republican or tea partier doing the dirt. You see America has awaken. We will tolerate no more nonsense from you imbeciles.

July 20, 2011 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |