Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@Democrat Class Warfare & Race Baiting – Destroying the economy, destroying the country
    ****************************************************************************************************************

Dude, you need some serious help with your anger issues. And by the way, the President's medical records were released in 2008. Try other media outlets beside FOX NOISE.

July 20, 2011 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  2. Bill

One Good screw, and her migraines will disappear! ;)

July 20, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  3. Love-&-Respect

You might notice that Representative Michele Bachmann has her government-paid provided physician but she does NOT want the average person to have a government-paid physician.

July 20, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  4. Lejaune

Great, a mentally unstable, drug dependent president in White House. That what we need.

July 20, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  5. Barking Alien

The headaches are being caused by brain farts.

July 20, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  6. caddiemurray

Okay, I'm a migraine sufferer, and the last thing in the world I want to do is stigmatize migraine sufferers. But I can tell you right now that if I was in charge of the nation and something major happened in the middle of one of my migraines, I wouldn't be able to deal with ANYTHING, much less a crisis. HOWEVER, that being said, some people are able to take migraine abortive meds and be just fine ... they might be a little sleepy, but the pain is gone and they can deal with life. Sounds like that's what her doc is trying to say in this letter. Now, as far as her other "qualifications" ... I don't know about those, just that migraines can be killer and not necessarily conducive to helping one handle crises.

July 20, 2011 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  7. Dicky

Typical – "I have a head ache" hmmmmmmmmm, wonder where I've heard that before ?

July 20, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  8. Tim

You're all jealous because Bachmann is an educated, attractive, mature woman with values. Skanky democrats!

July 20, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Kman821

Now all she needs to provide is a note from her psychiatrist since her real problem is insanity.

July 20, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  10. GI Joe

Did she get her mommy to write a note too?

If she needs a second opinion, I'll give her one. It won't be nice.

The woman is an idiot (and liar - THOU SHALT NOT LIE, NOR BEAR FALSE WITNESS).

July 20, 2011 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Return To Sender

The Good Doctor states: "You have not needed medical attention from me"

Yet she has had brain scans, she is on two medications. Sorry folks, I get migrains and I don't have a multitude of tests and medications prescribed to me!! Must be a great Government Sponsored Health Care she has!!! lol

July 20, 2011 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  12. Lou50

well, rather have someone with a migraine than one strung out on cocaine and wednesday night wine when the 3AM call comes thru! besides, don't think you can get a doctors note for cocaine, just the media not bringing it up till the second coming of Christ.

July 20, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  13. bb

"I couldn't handle the stressful rigors of the office of President of the US even IF I didn't have these chronic dadberned debilitating headaches, but I do have a doctor's excuse. Now don't ask me about my for profit clinic that prays away the gay or my stance that black children would be better off in slavery. We've already covered that, and you're giving me a headache.."

July 20, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  14. Chrisg

To much botex can cause migraines. Ask you Dr.

July 20, 2011 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  15. Chrisg

Sorry ...misspelled Botox

July 20, 2011 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  16. Dicky

No Republicans please ! – Rich jerks ! And if america does not re-elect a Democrat then $#!Ts gonna hit the fan in this country. Please dont' do it America. Obama caused nothing. 8 years of dumbass in office caused all this. And the republicans loved having one in the office so they could rip the American worker a new one ejile their croanies (big Corp. America gets golden parachutes. I can't wait until it hits the fan in this country

July 20, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  17. notogop

I get a migraine about every other day. Medication pretty well controls it in a couple of hours. I can't imagine spending the money for all the tests she had done for an ocassional migraine that is managed by meds. I assume we taxpayers paid for her tests. I think her husband should pray and use some of his magic therapy to cure her or does that just work on homosexuals? No more than she uses her brain, it should be atrophied and immune to pain.

July 20, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  18. Pistol Pete

Clearly Ms. Bachmann's migraines are caused by a lack of sex.

July 20, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  19. Chrisg

Can she get a doctors note certifying she is crazy and a flake?

July 20, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  20. gateway

What's a migraine headache "with aura"?

July 20, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  21. Greenspam

I demand to see the long form for this letter to prove that Bachman is physically fit enough to run for Presidency!

July 20, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  22. Debbie

So silly. Migraines can be triggered by hormones and known triggers. I am post menopausal and I still get them. With the Imitrex, there is no pain in 15 minutes. For me, no worse than any other headache with the Imitrex. Everyone experiences them differently. She has already said it hasn't affected her performance. Silly, silly, silly. Find something of merit to pick on the woman about.

July 20, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  23. Mike Edward

I just think she is cute

July 20, 2011 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  24. Charlie in Maine

I feel badly for her. I've had those before and to say they suck is an understatement. I wish her well.

BTW I still would not vote for her for dog catcher, but I wish her well.

July 20, 2011 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |