Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. 8 Years of "Trickle Down" economics has only left a dribbling wet spot on working Americans's shoes!

In her marriage, I am pretty sure it is the "husband", Butch, using the headache excuse

July 20, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  2. Ron Paul 2012

You know what helps Migraines?....Weed. Too bad she doesn't support Medical Marijuana or else her migraines would be a thing of the past.

July 20, 2011 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  3. Brett

I was hoping it would be a letter stating she was psychotic.

July 20, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. Sebastian

Her migrainse have known triggers and she knows how to manage her health? WTF.

Excuse me Moammar, of Kim Jung Il, can you not INVADE that Country or kill those civilians? It might set off my migraines.

July 20, 2011 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Chrisg

@Democrat Class Warfare & Race Baiting – Destroying the economy, destroying the country

Angry much?

July 20, 2011 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. jimbo

It's probably God talking to her, religion gives me headaches also.

July 20, 2011 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  7. GOP = Greed Over People

I want to see the long form, please!

July 20, 2011 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  8. Clwyd

Did it also talk about her being mentally unstable?

July 20, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  9. Jimbo

Migraines really aren't enough to keep anyone from being President. But there are numerous other things that make Ms. Bachmann unsuitable for the office.

July 20, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  10. I never bought the Obama hype

Where are Obamas medical records Mr. Transparency my butt! Obama is a fraud and a puppet of Wall Street!

July 20, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  11. Kristien

Who cares if she has migraines? I suffer from migraines too. Does that make me qualified to run for president? I'll tell you if I did, I certainly wouldn't get a doctor's note! This isn't high school! Just proves that she's not sophisticated or mature enough for the job.

July 20, 2011 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  12. meee

PMS-es with migraines it's all we need in the White House

July 20, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. KC

But can the doc give her anything to control her right-wing idiotic beliefs??

July 20, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. Ironhouse

I want a congressional Dr. I wonder if any of the politicians would like to tread health care with me?

July 20, 2011 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |
  15. anobody

Military commander: "Mrs. President America is under attack what should we do?"

Mrs. President: " I have to go lay down I have a migraine I will get back to you in 10hrs if you are lucky."

Military Commander: "But Mrs. President this thing will be over in 10 mins"

Mrs. President: "What is it you men always say, oh yeah, PUNT."

Bachmann a no go for president

July 20, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  16. hank

She had a brain scan and the results were negative. They didn't find anything.

July 20, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  17. Bill

She gets auras where she believes in men with beards wearing flowing robes. Explanation for the delusions.

July 20, 2011 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  18. Republican Robber Baron

Waaaaaaaaay too much info. Medical records and personal details of this type should stay out of the media spotlight. And I can't stand Bachmann...but this has crossed the line.

July 20, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  19. Desi

It looks like she email him what to put on that note..........

July 20, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  20. TripleA

Headaches? She could try pulling her head out every few minutes for a breath. She’s not getting enough air.

July 20, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  21. DollarPalin

Not surprised that Her brain scans did not reveal anything. Bcoz it is blank.

July 20, 2011 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  22. Sniffit

This is all just meant to distract you from the fact that Bachman is an undereducated, ill informed, ideologue corporate puppet whose policy positions have no firm grounding in reality, facts, evidence, historical record, etc., but are instead just echo chamber talknig point blather that don't hold up under even slight objective scrutiny. Yay for modern journalism.

July 20, 2011 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  23. Beadles

Michele Bachmann, Commander-in-Chief – now that scares me!

July 20, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  24. Dave

The headaches come from her brain's long-term exposure and ultimate rejection of the Republican talking-points she's forced to repeat day in, day out.

July 20, 2011 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  25. CandyBee

Hilarious. This is a classic case of someone not realizing what they should and should NOT release. Did we ASK? Do I CARE what her headache triggers are? Lots of people have headaches. In this case, we have a twofer. She gets them AND she gives them.

July 20, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |