Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. billy

Too little too late Babe.You're out for sure now, guess it is time for Palin to step in –HUH?

July 20, 2011 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  2. Lenny Pincus

Funny that she accepts the word of these quack "neurologists" and "physicians" but rejects the opinion of psychiatrists and geologists when it comes to their respective specialties. Why doesn't she just pray the pain away??

July 20, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  3. Ouch

At least there is proof that there is something resembling a brain there. The machine could not confirm activity

July 20, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  4. WestMaroon

The migraines are not germane as to why this individual should not be considered as a presidential candidate. Her biggest supporters may well be those on the left who would love nothing more than see her get the nomination. Those leaning right should seek a candidate capible of mounting a meaningful challenge on good ideas and strong leadership. Time is running out unless your a current supporter of our President.

July 20, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  5. zivo24

I suspect her migraines are more likely caused by how the stress that come from making up and keeping track of so many lies while simultaneously regurgitating rhetoric at chronic levels.

I'm just shocked she hasn't blamed Obama for her migraines yet. She blames everything else on him.

July 20, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  6. John Henson

Her exams had accompanying brain scans? You mean she actually HAS ONE?

July 20, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  7. Johnny Blammo and his Amazing Dancing Chickens!

I give credit to the doctors for having the incredible skill to actually find her brain and scan it. Such a small target must have been a significant challenge.

July 20, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Dale

Botox? Nancy Pelosi has all the botox in the world and would never let it go so try again

GOP = Greed Over People

"...brain scan..."

That makes it official, she actually has one, all this time I thought she was only capable to brain stem activity.

I am no doctor, but I have an idea what causes the migraines for Botox Bachmann.

July 20, 2011 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  9. Steve in MN

Her "...brain scans...normal". ?!??!?!

This letter is very clearly for ANOTHER Michelle Bachmann!

July 20, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. Blue19

So Bachmann suffers from headaches, and all this time I thought she was merely a carrier.

July 20, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  11. michael

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," – like what stress, making difficult decisions under pressure?
    Get real? Being President is considered the most difficult job for any leader in the world. And, it's certainly not for the average person who has extra problems to deal with. Sorry, Michelle.

July 20, 2011 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. JK

I've known people (friends) who have migraines. Believe me, when they strike, you are totally incapacitated. Sorry, Michele, you're not getting my vote. We have enough problems with Obama's brain.

July 20, 2011 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Carl

Has she considered going to her husband's clinic. IF they can reprogram homosexuals a little migraine should be easy to cure.

July 20, 2011 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. soulus

Guess she does not pray hard enough.

July 20, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  15. nowar

she doesn't get migraines, she gives them.

July 20, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  16. tet1953

Wait a minnit...."my ability to function effectively..will not affect my ability to serve" huh?

July 20, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  17. logic in LA

She admitted the campaign is a trigger. Does she honestly think the Presidency is going to be easier? Get out now.

July 20, 2011 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Tim Jordan

Did the brain scan discover she actually has a brain?

July 20, 2011 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  19. John

They aren't migraine headaches – it's a signal from her home planet... explains a lot.

July 20, 2011 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  20. CYA

The physician covers his butt well. He carefully says she has not needed medical attention from him since taking the meds, with a clear implication that she has needed medical attention from someone else. Also implied is medical attention from him prior to prescribing the meds. Medical attention can mean many things, but think "hospital" in this context. Politically, I could care less about her. My interest is in the carefully worded letter that has "damaged goods" written all over it.

July 20, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  21. Flint Rock

Bachman could also suffer from bad belly-aches – too bad. Point is the
    migraine issue has only been raised to divert attention
    from her more serious maladies.

July 20, 2011 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  22. Becca

What the heck does she need a doctors note for? No one is going to vote for her she is about as stupid as Sarah Palin. Either of them could not make it as a zoo keeper. They are both so stupid and god forbid if either one of them becomes president. OMG! I think we are in a real mes now but I can see us in a bigger mess then.

July 20, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  23. Only Logic

OK, I'm satisfied that the migraine issue has been explained. Now, can we get a doctor to explain the voices in her head she listens to and then tells us God is speaking to her? Headaches are one thing. Borderline psychosis is entirely another. Can we get a note on that, please?

July 20, 2011 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. Only Logic

Yeah, like she'd EVER be Commander In Chief. Keep dreaming sister. And keep listening to those voices in you head that you seem believe is God talking to you.

July 20, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  25. AQ

Heaven help me but I have to *cough* support *cough* Bachman on this. It hurt to type that even. But as someone who also suffers from at least three different types of migraines to attack her ability to lead based on that just shows how low the GOP will go (not that she is remotely innocent). I manage to work and to function even under some of the worst of them. When you get them often you learn to. I never, ever, ever want to type that first sentence every again!!!

July 20, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |