Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines
July 20th, 2011

Congressional doctor explains Bachmann migraines

(CNN) – Republican presidential candidate Michele Bachmann released a letter from her physician Wednesday to further explain her migraine headaches. It was first revealed she suffers from migraines Tuesday.

The Attending Physician of the United States Congress, Dr. Brian Monahan, said the Minnesota Congresswoman is in "overall in good general health."

"Your migraines occur infrequently and have known trigger factors of which you are aware and know how to avoid," Dr. Monahan wrote.

The doctor noted evaluations have included "detailed labwork and brain scans all of which are normal." She is prescribed sumatriptan and odansetron to control the migraines on an as-needed basis, Dr. Monahan wrote. He said she does not take daily medications to manage the headaches.

After a report in the Daily Caller, Bachmann said Tuesday she treats her migraines with medicine as needed and emphasized the rigorous pace of her campaign schedule since she entered the 2012 race.

"I'm prescribed medication that I take on occasion whenever symptoms arise and they keep my migraines under control, but I'd like to be abundantly clear, my ability to function effectively … will not affect my ability to serve as commander in chief," Bachmann said.

"Like millions of Americans, Congresswoman Bachmann suffers with migraines and they are under control when treated with medication," campaign press secretary Alice Stewart told CNN.

Former Bachmann staffers spoke anonymously to the Daily Caller regarding Bachmann's episodes and whether they could impact her bid for the White House. Some former Bachmann staffers have left the congresswoman's office on anything but good terms, and it's not clear if those speaking anonymously to the Daily Caller have an agenda in speaking out against her.

– CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Michele Bachmann
  1. heliocracy

Her migraines won't interfere with her being Commander-in-Chief, it's her profound ignorance that will do that.

July 20, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  2. VonDoom

I belong to a religious group that can cure migraines with nothing but prayer. She should look into it.

July 20, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  3. JCQueipo

Commander in chief, OH MY GOD that idiot !!!!!

July 20, 2011 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |
  4. Ron San Bruno Ca

What would happen if she somehow gets elected,and she gets that 2 AM call,and she has a migraine ? Do you know how loud a phone ring is to someone with a migraine.Did you ever see the Hunchback of notre dame,and he was deaf.

July 20, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  5. Darryn Cooke

Looks like I was wrong about Bachman. I didn't think she had a brain. The scan proves me wrong. When is Obama going to get his backbone scan so we can see if he has one. [end last sentence tangent]

July 20, 2011 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  6. rhumba

Actually, we should probably be more concerned about her IQ than her migraines.

July 20, 2011 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  7. Doug

Donald trump. Michelle Bachman, next. Is that you Rick. Step right up Rick. Watch out for the trap door. Doug.

July 20, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  8. ieat

democrat here, not a fan of hers, but come on, it's just migraines. I know people are trying to say she's not able to handle stress, but this is a pretty lame thing to pick on.

July 20, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  9. BD70

I guess I could give a crap if she has migraines or not. She will never be commander in chief. End of story.

July 20, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  10. that one guy

all politicians in washington have to be able to respond to stress she does that already and still manages to function...i find her cut, cap, and balance position to be a more pressing issue....and am i the only one that thinks its crazy her and her husband have a clinic with a 12 step program for gay people....forget her migranes she is one!!! honestly I think this is more of an attempt to marginalize her for being a woman...we have elected older presidents with more concerning health threats then migranes...this shouldn't even qualify as news worthy!!!

July 20, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  11. Jeetu

How do we know that we would be safe with such a person in the White House as President? It only take a fraction of second for her to make a wrong decision for us which would have dire consequences. Thus, avoid such person for being a US President.

July 20, 2011 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. Paul R. Ahern

... Ms. Bachmann ,
    ......a friend of mine (aquaintance) also suffered from migraines and was unable to find relief through ' traditional ' means ; at suggestion , she went to a licensed acupuncturist/herbalist who informed her of a possible link between her diet ( cheese is extremely difficult to digest ) and her migraines. Eliminating cheese and drinking warm or 'hot' tea(s).......her headaches subsided...... next ; your symptoms will be pscychosomatic. (?)

July 20, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  13. Ginger K.

What else is she hiding?

July 20, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  14. 8chili

Why is this news? People in Congress have all sorts of health issues. I guess it's just the next thing the media feels they need to discuss against Bachmann. I have to imagine also that every person on here who is a woman, and is writing critically of Bachmann, and is over 45, is just jealous they don't look as attractive as Michelle (Bachmann that is, not Barack's wife) at 55. I guess we shouldn't be surprised...they did the same thing to Palin. And by the way, I'm a diehard libertarian, so there's no way I'd ever vote for Bachmann or Palin....just wish the media and people would actually focus on the real issues out there....not migraine headaches

July 20, 2011 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  15. LouAz

Why doesn't she check into her own "clinic" and learn how to pray her migranes away ? I guess she just does not believe in her god as much as she says she does.

July 20, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  16. Cleveland Steamer

I thought one needed a brain in order to suffer from migraines.

July 20, 2011 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  17. Bashaleebee

If she gets pass the primaries, the American People should know what meds she's on ... and especially when she's off them. lol

July 20, 2011 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  18. MarineDad05

I don't care about her migraines. What I do want to see is her birth certificate.
    And I want to see her original, long form birth certificate.

July 20, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  19. Rudy NYC

"...triggered by factors which you are aware of and know how to avoid....."
    --------------------
    Factors like the truth.

July 20, 2011 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |
  20. Jaynicia

They're probably caused by either lack of oxygen to the brain or her attempts at praying the gay away.

July 20, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  21. GaryOwen27

"Brain Scan" talk about mission impossible....

I don't know about this migrane stuff, but has anyone seen her birth certificate?

July 20, 2011 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |
  22. Tara

I'm a Democrat, and not at all a supporter of Bachmann, but this seems like a new variant of "reasons why women can't be presidents". No one had a problem with Dick Cheney and his fitness when he went for VP, and he's had loads of heart attacks. And no one complained about McCain's gland problem. Migraines are really terrible, but she shouldn't have to defend herself on that front at all.

July 20, 2011 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  23. D-Nice

Who cares about migraines, the woman is crazy. She's a religious zelot with an agenda. Give her some power and this country is in for big trouble.

July 20, 2011 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  24. WBslim

I do believe that migranes are a screen out factor for people trying to join the military. How then can we allow a Commander in chief to have them?

July 20, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  25. bluemax77

The Doctor found out that her brain was missing....!!

July 20, 2011 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |