More jabs between RNC and DNC
July 20th, 2011

More jabs between RNC and DNC

(CNN) - Chair of the Democratic National Committee, Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz, wrote a letter to Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus Thursday responding to an earlier request from the RNC that Attorney General Eric Holder investigate an "apparent" crime by President Obama.

Priebus accused the president Monday of misusing the White House Map Room to record a fundraising video. A White House spokesman noted the room is part of the White House residence, and therefore not subject to the restrictions placed on official rooms.

But Schultz, D-Florida, put the pressure on Priebus in her letter, asking the RNC and Republican presidential candidates to "forgo accepting contributions from Political Action Committees or federal lobbyists." She also called on presidential candidates to disclose their major fundraisers.

"I have noticed with great curiosity yours and the Republican Party's apparent newfound interest in transparency and accountability as it relates to campaign finance," Schultz wrote in the letter obtained by CNN. "Curious because, after all, the Republican Party has fought in Congress and in the courts virtually every effort over the past decade or more to rein in the influence of moneyed special interests in politics and to require greater disclosure and transparency."

Schultz said the steps would help restore confidence in the political process.

"Should you decline to take these steps, however, some in your own party who have referred to your latest machinations on this issue as 'absurd', 'an embarrassment' and 'laughable' will be confirmed in such an assessment," Schultz wrote.

RNC Spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski responded to the letter, accusing Schultz of "hypocrisy."

"It's time for Debbie Wasserman Schultz to get off her soapbox considering the DNC takes money from state lobbyists and Wasserman Schultz herself takes money from PACs," Kukowski said. "For the record, the RNC is curious when Debbie Wasserman Schultz became a spokesperson for the DOJ. We will continue to wait for an investigation from them into potentially criminal activity by this president."

– CNN's Rebecca Stewart contributed to this report.

Filed under: Debbie Wasserman Schultz • DNC • Reince Priebus • RNC
  1. rs

So Frank- lying about the president isn't low?

July 20, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  2. SecedingfromTexas

"We will continue to wait for an investigation from these people into potentially criminal activity by this president".
    *******************************
    Can you wait until hell freezes over, or at least after investigations into the Bush/Cheney criminal
    activities are finished? Reiance(?) can't speak for himself now? He just throws it out there and now needs a
    "spokesWOMAN" to respond. He must be cowering in a corner somewhere waiting for Eric to pat his wittle head.

July 20, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  3. Shulz must go

If Obama isn't supposed to use the White House for fundraising, the RNC has it right. Debbie needs to focus her attention on solutions, not politics. Democrats showed us how they will rule the country when they had the super majority in the Congress and the White House. Scary stuff. Thank goodness for the election of 2010.

July 20, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  4. once upon a horse

Priebus (geesh what a name!!) should know that in this era of the internet, 24/7 news channels, and stations that DO do research that before you go with this so-called "lawsuit" that other stations have already shown President Bush had taped ads IN the White House along with his wife for running for office. Maybe this lawsuit will run deeper than he expected.

July 20, 2011 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. ConservaFASCISTS/Domestic Terrorists/Taliban/Al Queda/TRAITORS

These democrat women ain't no joke!!! You republican scumbags better come correct before you go after Debbie. She will call you out on your baffoonery.

July 20, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  6. Marie MD

Let him have it Debbie!!!! How dare you say that the DNC takes money crom lobbyists as if you fethugs don't take money from your millionairs and big corporations!
    It's already been reported that other presidents have done the sane, including the idiot from texas. You are a pathetic piece of human crap. There are more important issuex on the table which include the futurd ofnour country and the JOB CREATION that we are stillon from your party!!!!!!
    "Prius" get a life and STFU,,,,,!

July 20, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. Joei

Poker face, try another one Priebus, this one won't work. Just too lame.

July 20, 2011 02:25 pm at 2:25 pm |
  8. Former Republican, now an Independent

Another of the extremist idiots that have conquered and destroyed my former party. Independent voting Americans should wake up and clean house of these republicans in the next election.

July 20, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  9. Susie

Finally-a politician with a backbone who speaks intelligently and doesn't need to resort to name-calling or lies. Use the facts, point out the hypocrisy and ridiculous actions-call them on it-this isn't a jab this is demanding honesty and accountability! DWS – 2016!

July 20, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  10. Darko

Reveal donors? You first!
    Will someone please show that Obama received, by far, the majority of campaign donations from Wall St.

Let's not even mention the thousands of untraceable credit card donations that Obama received. Likely from overseas contributors.

July 20, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. The Prince of Common Cents

Debbie Wasserman Schultz is my new personal hero...

July 20, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Bill from GA

Debbie Wasserman Schultz for President. OK, Maybe in 2016.

Joe Biden, who is a Great VP, could ease over to Secretary of State in 2012, since Hillary is stepping down ( I believe I heard that a few months back ). DWS could be VP in 2012. Then she could really kick some repug butt in 2016.

July 20, 2011 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  13. John

I started working when I was sixteen years old. And I work all my Life. and i even was In the Military for three years. In all this time In every check i got In all my life I pay Into SS and Medicare. So yes I think I deserve It. I pay for It so I should get It. I serve my Country and I work all my Like. So i don't think I'm Entitled to It. I think I have earn It. And I don't think any body got the right to take It away from me.

July 20, 2011 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  14. Aaron

Finally, the Dems have found someone who fights back in the persona of Wasserman Schultz. It's long overdue since Dems have been suffering through Repub lies, spins, and misrepresentations for years without calling them down on it.

July 20, 2011 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. DIANA

Why is it the women are the ones who show more backbone? Go Debbie – I was so happy when you won the Chairmanship, I knew you would fight for us. My check's also in the mail.

July 20, 2011 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |