Roemer makes White House bid official
July 21st, 2011

Roemer makes White House bid official

(CNN) - The crowded GOP presidential field added one more candidate Thursday.

Former Louisiana Gov. Buddy Roemer officially declared his candidacy at the Hanover Inn at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire, becoming the 11th Republican candidate to jump into the race.

"You don't want to miss this campaign," said Roemer. "It will be something else."

Roemer blasted President Barack Obama and the other candidates, saying they're ignoring two issues he sees as major problems: "unfair trade" and special interest campaign contributions.

Pledging to refuse PAC money and only accepting donations of $100 or less, Roemer has so far raised nearly $96,000, with nearly $41,000 raised in the second quarter.

"I ask the 98 percent of Americans who never give to a presidential candidate to stand with me," Roemer said.

Roemer served four terms as a Democratic congressman from Louisiana then became governor of the state in 1988. He made headlines when switching affiliation to the GOP in his third year as governor and lost re-election to a second term. In the private sector, the Harvard graduate worked as the CEO of Business First Bank after leaving office.

Filed under: 2012 • Buddy Roemer
  1. Seattle Sue

No chance what so ever,

July 21, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. Matt

Almost all of the GOP candidates are more qualified than our current president. Mitt Romney is a moderate republican that has real world economic experience. Although he worked with democrats to establish the healthcare system in MA, he's my top choice. (State run healthcare is better than a federal system. People can always escape by moving out of the state).

July 21, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  3. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

It all sounds well and good to accept amounts that small. The problem with that prinicpled stand is that he won't be able to get money he needs to compete with the other candidates who accept the larger amounts. I wish there was no need to accept or raise money for a political campaign.

July 21, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  4. Steve, New York City

. . . I've got news for you, BUDDY . . you might have a tough time out there (while I can see why he launched his campaign at Dartmouth. . .I am an alum – makes me sad).

July 21, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. Clwyd

Wow, another joker running for president in the republican't party!

July 21, 2011 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. SilverHair

Just another crayfish in the pie.

July 21, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Rudy NYC

-------------
    Translation: He sold out.

"Ultimate power attracts those who are most easily corrupted." – Rudy NYC

July 21, 2011 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  8. ConservaFASCISTS/Alan West = Masogonist

WHO? Buddy What????

July 21, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  9. gt

if perry gets in , thats makes a even dozen.... feels like a stock car race...

July 21, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  10. SURPLUS = REVENUES - EXPENSES

I don't know much about the man but his party-affilliation-switching record would seem to indicate that he is an opportunist. Seems more likely he is in the Business of Running For President, Inc. rather than actually winning.

July 21, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  11. BostonianTheWoodlandsTX

But.....but.....but.....but what happened to Bobby Jindal ?

Boy some one the right swore Jindal was going to be the next best thing to come from Louisiana since the 2009 Saints.

Never heard of the guy. The only thing that scares me MORE than a republican from Texas.......is a republican from Louisiana.

I may be wrong,I may be far off,but anyone GOP from there makes the words 'Corrupt,crooked, and dishonest' come to mind.

Not saying it's true,but Louisiana has built up that perception of all it's elected officials. Dems and Republicans.

But ESPECIALLY Republicans.

July 21, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  12. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

So this is what? Four ex-governors running? Does that mean that he has enough "executive experience" for T-Paw? Unfortunately for Buddy, being a Harvard Alum makes him an intellectual, thereby disqualifying him from any possible National Republican Party ticket. They take pride in their anti-intellectualism. Look at the way they treat Newt.

July 21, 2011 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  13. GI Joe

David Duke would have been a better selection to represent Louisiana folks than this guy. He's way more of a nut than Duke.

July 21, 2011 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  14. Peter E

He should have said "I ask the 98% of Americans who have never even heard about me to stop laughing."

July 21, 2011 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  15. Michael in Houston

Please send us a program guide to all the GOP runners once the field is complete. By the time the repugs line up for their first primary, its going to look like the starting line for the Boston Marathon.
    Just exactly how many candidates does the GOP need to unseat one US President? For a guy who the repugs believe is a non citizen, the worst President of all time, a muslim, and everything else you accuse him of, you sure are heaping large amount of flesh and money on defeating him! I thought it was going to be easy??!! Your going to look pretty stupid come election night.

July 21, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  16. S. In California - Obama 2012

Please someone remind me who this man is again. Judging by the looks of him (white, older, rich male) I know which party he represents I just need a reminder of what he's done and why he thinks he qualified. Answers anyone?

July 21, 2011 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. YOYO

Is this some GOP presidential candidacy internship or something? How many candidates is GOP going to have?

July 21, 2011 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  18. Me

Now here is a RINO, some ethics, not accepting big business contributions...he'll have a short run.

July 21, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  19. GEORGIA TEE

Here we go again, another republican joke joins the circus....I know our national issues are very serious, but this is going to be a very entertaining election cycle, by the end of the year we will get to see the tail, wag the taliban tail

July 21, 2011 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |