Boehner tells GOP lawmakers House would need to vote on debt ceiling by Wednesday to meet deadline
July 22nd, 2011

Washington (CNN)-A Republican source familiar with the negotiations tells CNN that Speaker Boehner told Republican lawmakers Friday that to get the debt ceiling raised by August 2nd, the House must vote on legislation by next Wednesday-and that means it must be posted online this coming Monday.

A House GOP leadership aide tells CNN that Boehner is telling members he believes a House vote has to happen by Wednesday in order for the Senate to have enough time to vote on it before August 2nd. This is because House GOP leaders assume that conservatives in the Senate will force the Senate to overcome a number of procedural options that could take days to do.

A Senate GOP leadership aide says that Wednesday should not be considered as set in stone. It’s not clear whether conservatives would filibuster. There are ways around some of the procedural hurdles that could mean it would take fewer days to accomplish all of this, the aide said. Much will depend on WHAT the deal is, and what the reaction to it is -from both sides, the aide said.

Filed under: Budget • Debt • Deficit • John Boehner
  1. Debra From Georgia

Boehner you are weak, weak, weak ,weak. You let these teabaggers run you, idiot

July 22, 2011 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  2. Alex

Heavy sigh. I have a love/hate relationship with both parties. I love some of what each party stands for and hate some things, too. And, they're big ones, so it's not like I can compromise. Also, when I say love, I really mean like. Neither party is perfect nor do they seem to care about the average "Joe" any more. I feel completely abandoned by our government and reluctant to even vote this next election. I used to be a majority, now I am stunned to find myself amongst the minority. WTF happened to this country and how did we let it happen? More importantly, WHAT are we going to do about it??

July 22, 2011 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  3. Klamerus

I'm so F'ing tired of this "have the rich pay their fair share" BS spouted time and again.

The FACT is that taxes should be based on consumption. If you disagree with paying for use then you should support floating pricing on all meals, good and services. That's BS.

The FACT is that the wealthy pay MORE than their fair share even if they were a single tax rate in this country (which their isn't). So the wealthy get screwed twice.

The FACT is that the liberals realized a long time ago that people are jealous of anyone who is doing better than they are and wants to screw them over. The democrats live on this to buy their way into office by taking money from the rich far beyond their FAIR SHARE to use give to people who are less well off.

July 22, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  4. Republican Robber Baron

Good luck keeping your job next year John. Thanks for selling us out so your Big $ Corporatist buddies that you hangout with at the local drinking hole can get their loopholes and extra 3% Bush tax cut. Who knows maybe that 3% can buy another yaught, house or diamond-plated silverware set...while the middle class go broke.

July 22, 2011 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  5. Paul

What we really need is a mandate for congress to act on critical measures, such as the debt ceiling, in a timely manner. The runner-up in their elections is at the ready to take over, and if they don't act by a "warning deadline," they cease getting paid and are put on probation. If they don't act by the final deadline, they lose their job, and the alternate takes over. Period.

It is just foolishness to allow their prideful egos dig in their heels and jeopardize the well-being of their very constituents.

July 22, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  6. Steve

For the record everyone knew about this a year ago. I thought when you elected someone they had a job to do?

July 22, 2011 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  7. george of the jungle

do these idiots i washington even realize what type of catastrophic events could happen if millions of social security benefits arent delivered

July 22, 2011 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  8. Carole F.

Boehner"s comments ring hollow.He does not speak for average Americans. I don't know what the real motives are but they have nothing to do with debt reduction or spending reform. The level of disrespect for the President is appalling!

July 22, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  9. NateOH

Dear BeverlyNC,

THANKS FOR POSTING IN ALL CAPS!!! IT'S NICE TO IMAGINE SOMEONE SCREAMING IN MY FACE AS I READ THIS!!! I'm no conservative (pretty liberal in fact), but I find it funny that you're calling republicans extremists, while at the same time advocating that we completely remove one party from every office on every level of government. I think the true problem with the US is ignorance and hypocrisy, which pervades the whole spectrum, left and right.

July 22, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  10. dave

It is all theater to cover for the fact that congress cares more for the next election (them) then they do for doing the peoples business. We'll get a patch on the debt ceiling (don't kick the struggling economy) and congress will push the real problem around and around.

July 22, 2011 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  11. NoWay

This jerk is really off his rocker.

July 22, 2011 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  12. Vicki

Unfortunately, there is truth in each comment above. It is more than brinkmanship, it is more than hatrid of Obama, it is about preserving the tax decrease given by Shrub ~ baby bush ~ even though in Wash post today Norquist said OK to expiring tax cuts. MR. SPEAKER of the house has FAILED IN hearding tea party cats. Now he blames dems in attempt to cover his mess. Lessons learned about last Nov. election be careful what you wish for~elect, vett all upside down, inside out and don't accept blah, blah crap cause you want to hear it....wish I could get out of here the US no longer exists...we have met the enemy and the enemy is us...

July 22, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  13. miguelina

My home is both democrat and republican and for the first time my husband and i agree on one thing we will not vote republican no one cares about us the people . No politician cares about the millions of people that will not be able to pay their bills buy food pay their mortagage or even keep their lights on and let's not talk about our Trops fighting for us and won't get a check if we default all I can say is Republicans are selfish and out for the rich not us the working people.

July 22, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  14. RMinBoston

What can I say about BeverlyNC's comment, but LOL.

July 22, 2011 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  15. A Griff

If the comments made here and on other sites are representative of the American people I have to ask the question-How do you logically expect the people that represent you to not do the same as the people-blame each other? The comments are either to the extreme right or extreme left, and no one will say the other might be correct.

July 22, 2011 07:25 pm at 7:25 pm |
  16. David

Hey, Mr. Boner, or whatever your name is, it is time for you and your tea party jerks to leave the U.S. and destroy some other country. You and your cohorts are the most anti-American fools I've seen in this country since you know when. By the way, Mr. Bonehead, opps, I'm sorry, Mr. Boner, where are all of the jobs your wealthy "job creators" have created?

July 22, 2011 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  17. Anonymous

Perhaps you should stop blaming the GOP and instead start looking at putting forth your own solutions. We shoud not raise the debt ceiling doing so only means more debt. Democrats love social programs and they are willing to go further in to debt to get them. This country does not have an income problem it has a spending problem and we are way past the time to address that. If we default then so be it because eventually it will happen and I for one would rather get on with the business of fixing this mess. Will it suck, yes. Do we need to curb our spending, yes we do. We need a balanced budget amendment, decreases in federal spending and social programs and maybe we might need to increase taxes but if we do it needs to be on all. Enough of the class warfare rhetoric. We all got in to this mess, poor, middle-class and the rich and we all need to start rowing together if we have any hope of getting out of it.

July 22, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  18. rob

Maybe you want daddy obama to tuck you in and read you a story too? Medicine now or austerity later. Don't think it can happen? That's what the PIIGS thought. Anyone ever think about restoring the self reliance that made us great I the first place. Turn off your cowboy poetry and open up an economics book

July 22, 2011 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  19. Positive

Vote out all these Grover Norquist committed Republicans in 2012. All of them! If they are under contractual obligation and not free to do their job properly then they should not be allowed to even run for election. We didn't elect Grover Norquist to anything and as far I can see he is entitled to only one vote like the rest of us.

If they are so wrong headed that they can't do what the majority of Americans have said they want – a balanced compromise – and instead insist it's all their way or an economy-destroying default, then they have no business in the job. It's damaging our economy by the minute. And where is their jobs bill?

Next time, vote for people with higher goals than making President Obama a one-term President.

Vote out with all Republicans 2012!

July 22, 2011 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  20. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I am really tired of this. I will again vote for the President and work hard to get the house back.

July 22, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  21. Tits

'I could care less if we default and the market goes down as I have saved my whole life and it will be just another buying opportunity – bring it. '

Hope you didn't save your money in a FDIC insured bank...because when your bank starts to fail, who's going to Insure your money...the Federal Government? LAWL.

July 22, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  22. Dave

If you voted for Fox News' Tea Party in the last election you are a traitor!

July 22, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  23. Angela

Screw You Bonehead. Let em crash! We all know who have hijacked this country!

July 22, 2011 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  24. Jimh77

Well folks, it appears that the Republicans are set on defaulting the US economy. So, how do you all feel now for putting them in office? I hope you are happy with your choice. Unless you are in the top 1% stuffing your monies in them pillows. Let me tell you a little secret. It won't be worth squat. And to the Repubs in office playing your little games, Screw you all. It is time for a complete revolution and the reshaping of America away from the greed that has taken over. We will start over, and the American People will prevail and all those in office now will be jailed for life pennyless.
    We the People Will Prevail!

July 22, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  25. LLOYD ROBERTS

Reese, you could care less if we default. How unselfish you are. Do you care if other people get sick, do you care if a kid's parents die, do you care less about anything. oh, this is a good buying opportunity, I forgot, you've been investing your whole life. Somehow I fail to believe that. I have been investing and working my whole life and was preparing to retire within the next five years. If S&P or Moody's decides to re-rate and devalue US debt for the first time in it's history, I don't think I'll be able to do that. And I don't think it will be a good buying opportunity because I think the chaos will make sure there are no buyers, or sellers, or rational markets for a long time. You're no Carl Icahn, you're a fool

July 22, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |