Bristol: I lied to my Mom
July 22nd, 2011

Bristol: I lied to my Mom

(CNN) – Bristol Palin admits it was "stupid" to lie to her mother, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, about the night she lost her virginity to ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston.

"It was a night that I look back on with the adult eyes that I have now and I just realize that that was so stupid," Palin said Thursday on HLN's "Dr. Drew." "That was so stupid to lie to my mom and to have those series of bad decisions that I made all in one night."

She and Johnston had a son together and were briefly engaged. Bristol said they no longer speak and that she was "an idiot" to believe they would be together forever.

"I was an idiot for believing that and thinking that," Palin said. "But, yes he had me convinced."

The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee's eldest daughter and author of "Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far," said she used to fall for boys she "could fix," but now looks for men that are "into their families, that are on the same page with their faith as me."

Although she wishes she stuck to her abstinence pledge, she said it is important that sex education be taught in schools.

"I think it needs to be taught," she said. "But I mean, kids are going to do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

HLN, like CNN is owned by Time Warner, Inc.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Mindie in Indie

I seriously doubt Levi was her first.

July 22, 2011 08:42 am at 8:42 am |
  2. sara

Bristol still isn't being honest. THAT night when she conceived was NOT the first or only night. What in the world could she say in a book?

July 22, 2011 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  3. Casual Observer

I guess that means pledges don't mean diddly. You can get away with anything according to her – and justify it because they are kids. What ever happen to RESPONSIBILITY. It sounds like she can just say 'it was stupid at the time" and everything is all better.

July 22, 2011 09:19 am at 9:19 am |
  4. Casual Observer

"It was a night that I look back on with the adult eyes"

How does a teen look at something with "adult eyes"?

July 22, 2011 09:21 am at 9:21 am |
  5. brian in denver

"It was a night that I look back on w/ the adult eyes I have now..." Bristol, darlin', you may be 'adult' in age but you've a long way to travel before anything like wisdom enters your conceptual framework.

July 22, 2011 09:43 am at 9:43 am |
  6. Kurt

Only kids continue to TALK about losing their virginity. This little girl has a long way to go before she can call herself an adult.

July 22, 2011 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  7. David

And this is on the political ticker...why?

Dear "News Media",

Hows about you guys stop trying to INVENT the news, and just REPORT the news.

Bristol Palin is about as relevent to current political news as her mother is....which is not very much.

July 22, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  8. DA

Seriously, why is this in the political ticker section, is what I want to know?
    BP is not in politics and this should be found under entertainment!!!
    Oh and while you at it, put anything her mother SP has to say there too!!

July 22, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. Howard

"But I mean, kids are going to do whatever they want to do at the end of the day." And there's why teaching abstinence without also teaching about means of contraception is just plain stupid. Teenagers are afflicted with raging hormones and are highly emotional. Abstinence requires rational thinking, something that highly emotional people aren't known for.

July 22, 2011 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  10. Erica

This poor girl. Making money writing books no one wants to read instead of pursuing her own dream. College? Career? Nope. Doesn't seem to have a dream of her own. That's really sad.

July 22, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  11. Lucinda

Abstinence plegde....what a joke! Her so called "celebrity status" has surely gone straight to her mixed up little head.
    She was a fast and loose teenager and thought she could get away with sleeping around, but it bit her in the butt and she got preggers at 17! Big whoop de do....and now the media world is treating her like some expert on the subject! I wouldn't spend 5 cents on anything this girl writes in a book or hawks/sells to the public. She's just like her mother....a self proclaimed know it all who knows nothing!

July 22, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  12. d

Why is this a news item?

July 22, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  13. ingrid

Ugh. I am sick of hearing about this family. NO MORE coverage please.

July 22, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  14. Manny in Cali

Why is CNN posting irrelevant stories like this? This is not news!

July 22, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  15. Inrealityhere

At least she admits she made mistakes and surely she is paying the consequences so why do people keep hammering her? Good grief! She's a young adult and is trying to encourage youngsters not to make poor choices so give her a break.

July 22, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  16. drewwhis

Might be the smartest thing a Palin has ever said.

July 22, 2011 10:38 am at 10:38 am |
  17. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

I doubt highly that Ms. Palin is an autodidact. I suggest she pursue higher education if she wants her puerile drivel to evolve to something substantive.

July 22, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  18. Jim

There are no family values in the Palin household, only money values. They will say and do anything in the pursuit of it. Adult eyes? There are no adults in that clan.

July 22, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. Avram Baskin

The lesson to be learned from Bristol Palin's experience is, sleep around at the age of 16, get pregnant, and become rich and pseudo famous. The difference between my family and the Palin family is that Sarah boasted that it was a sign of their family values that Bristol didn't have an abortion. In our family we define family values as raising our daughter with a proper religious and social foundation so she understands that you don't sleep around at the age of 16.

July 22, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  20. Retired Army in San Antonio

"I just realize that that was so stupid"

Well Bristol.....I got a couple of cliches for ya ;-) ......

Stupid is as stupid does.......and......The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

July 22, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. Nu

No one cares. Move on to the other mediocre ordinary mistakes that you will be making for the rest of your life. Ditto for your Mom, who probably has the same IQ as you do.

July 22, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  22. LouAz

Shouldn't this "story" be in the Entertainment Section. It is the mumblings of a media created starlit that has NO importance at all to US politics. If CNN continues to report such complete trivia then it will also become irrelevant.

July 22, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. Mike in NJ

One time, in second grade, I lied to MY mom as well. Do I get front page links on CNN?
    Shine a light on people who merit attention, CNN.

Higher standards. "CNN – News That Matters." Make THAT your tagline, and have James Earl Jones boom out THAT to your listeners, and *live up to it.*

July 22, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. letitgo

OMG LET IT GO!!!!! Seriously all the stuff going on and we are worried about when a young girl lost her virginity. Your lives are THAT BORING you are worried about this....And no all I did was read the headline I did not read the story. But I just had to comment.

July 22, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  25. Jerry

Posters, gee, don't be so negative (maybe envious is more correct?) I guess most of you negatives don't have teenagers of your own, therefore, it's easy for you to be highly critical. Or, maybe you have a worst situation with your teens and see the wrongs only in other people's lives.

Fine, she made a mistake believing in that idiot (Johnston), but she has become a self made woman. At least she she is not depending on government handouts.

Is that what is really bothering some of you??? Uhm. People that live in glass houses should not even consider throwing stones.

July 22, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |