Bristol: I lied to my Mom
July 22nd, 2011

Bristol: I lied to my Mom

(CNN) – Bristol Palin admits it was "stupid" to lie to her mother, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, about the night she lost her virginity to ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston.

"It was a night that I look back on with the adult eyes that I have now and I just realize that that was so stupid," Palin said Thursday on HLN's "Dr. Drew." "That was so stupid to lie to my mom and to have those series of bad decisions that I made all in one night."

She and Johnston had a son together and were briefly engaged. Bristol said they no longer speak and that she was "an idiot" to believe they would be together forever.

"I was an idiot for believing that and thinking that," Palin said. "But, yes he had me convinced."

The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee's eldest daughter and author of "Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far," said she used to fall for boys she "could fix," but now looks for men that are "into their families, that are on the same page with their faith as me."

Although she wishes she stuck to her abstinence pledge, she said it is important that sex education be taught in schools.

"I think it needs to be taught," she said. "But I mean, kids are going to do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

HLN, like CNN is owned by Time Warner, Inc.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. itdontmatter

a book about her journey so far?

July 22, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  2. Sean

I'm sure everyone on these boards can say they were perfect teens and they didn't do anything wrong growing up. I for one, can't, I made plenty of mistakes and I paid the price for them later in life too. Fact is she's admitting her mistakes and trying to make something positive from them. Trying to teach others from her example.

July 22, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  3. Bob from Illinois

Well, was it the date rape she described in her book, or the starry-eyed romantic fantasy, the innocent girl gaga over the bad boy, that she now claims it to be?

July 22, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  4. bellablue

Does anyone really care??? STUPIDITY and MONEY . . . that's describes the entire Palin family!! You betcha!!

July 22, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  5. Chris

Just think, at some point her son is going to hear how the night he was conceived was a part of "those series of bad decisions that I made all in one night." Poor little guy is going to realize that since is the result of one of those bad decisions, he must be bad also. Does he even get to see his dad any more?

Bristol darlin', part of the maturity you think you have is being able to move forward and not repeatedly talk about the choices and/or decisions you make and their results.. Yes, you are a teen mom, so are thousands of other women, the only reason you are doing better then them is because of your mom's celebrity status.

July 22, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  6. GrogInOhio

Good grief... what has this to do with politics? I'm looking at Political Ticker and I get a soap opera instead.

July 22, 2011 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. Sing2me

"Well you know what they say, hind sight is always 20/20 vision.

July 22, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  8. sick of republican phonies

CNN: Why is this considered "news"? Oh that's right, your idea of news is more akin to PEOPLE Magazine's concept of the word than what is actually (or used to be) called "news".

July 22, 2011 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  9. George

Her face looks like one of those old women that have had a face lift. She has to make money selling that stupid book full of lies to pay for the plastic surgery she had.

July 22, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  10. d-money

No, really, PLEASE stop writing stories about high school girls' sex lives! We come here for news!

July 22, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  11. Dean

Wonder why CNN is so fascinated with the Palin family?

July 22, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  12. Carol

My only question is, why does CNN think anyone cares about these people? I don't read these stories, but I don't even what to see their faces on my computer screen.

July 22, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  13. Rsprings

Some pretty dumb comments here. Life happens folks. As a parent you can only do your best to give your children morals and values. The rest is up to them. Think back to the things you did when you were young, I'll bet your glad you didn't get caught. As for this young lady, I hope she has learned and will grow. You can castigate her for her past or your dislike of her mother if you want, but at least wish her well in the future.

July 22, 2011 10:56 am at 10:56 am |
  14. sonny chapman

She lied. What was the question ?

July 22, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  15. prc

Why do people even care about the Palin's. Sarah is not going to run for president, she is just dragging it out so she can get her picture in the news. She could not handle being govenor of Alaska, she quit. Being president is a lot harder if she can't handle being a govenor why do people think she could be president. She just can't quit being president when things don't go her way.

July 22, 2011 10:58 am at 10:58 am |
  16. roscoe

Lying....a Palin family tradition

July 22, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  17. Blah Blah Blah

This is not political news. This belongs on the tabloid page. There are more pressing issues and more improtant stories. How about talking about more positive stories cocnerning our youth? There is a young man who gave his $40,000 scholarship to his teammates. That is a more worthwhile story than this new publicity hound. She is Alaska's Snooki!

July 22, 2011 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  18. bob weidman

What publicity firm does the Palin clan employ? They are doing a great job at keeping the Palin non-issues in the news!!!!

July 22, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  19. mike

Are you kidding me having sex is like breathing it is natural she makes sound like she crap her paints the only supid thing she done was not protecting herself

July 22, 2011 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  20. bit of reality

Dr drew I only have 1 concern about that segment, you used the word stolen when talking about her teen years and virginity. I respectfully and srtongly disagree. if she was a willing participant there was not 1 thing stolen but rather given away. She must own that as we all must own our mistakes.

July 22, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  21. gran

"Palin recollects that she lost her virginity on a camping trip after getting drunk for the very first time. She awoke in the tent, alone, with no memories of what had occurred with Johnston. Palin had previously vowed to wait to have sex until marriage." "Bristol, 20, said: 'I was on birth control when I got pregnant yeah, but it obviously was not used effectively.'"

Just how stupid does this Palin family think we are? First time she was drunk and first time for sex? Waiting to have sex until marriage yet she was on birth control. Next we'll hear that it was to control her acne and not as a contraseptive. She needs to just shut up about her "virginity". She gave it away and she wants us to think that she's a virgin again! lol

And what parent is going to let their sixteen year old daughter go on a camping trip with her boyfriend?? Lies – Lies – Lies!

July 22, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  22. Proud member of "Global Zero"

CNN...leave familes out of your ticker. I do not agree with anything the former Governor stands for but, I hope for some privacy for this family. Yes, they are asking for it...but do you have to egg them on with all these posts?

July 22, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  23. keith

who says that he wasn't as true as she thought he was – girls seem to get it stuck in their mind that when a relationship goes bad that the guy is usually at fault. I've dealt with that with my ex....where one minute she is apologizing but then chastising me for how the relationship went down the crapper. Leaves alot of us guys hanging there wonder 'wtf just happened'. Why do women have to be so wishy washy....yeah I know its life and that's how women are. But she shouldn't look back and say it was stupid. We all do stupid things and we move on. They have a child together yet she says it was a stupid thing to do....so in essence she says her kid is a stupid mistake. What a parent she has turned into....geeez

July 22, 2011 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  24. Rick

All in just "one night"? Give me a break and be honest. I think it wasn't your first lie or lay and you're not being honest.

July 22, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  25. carly

Bristol is really a kick. I saw a part of the Dr. Drew show and she said she thought that women in positions of power get picked on because they are good looking. Bristol in your case and your mother's case there is much more to the scrutiny. People are fed up seeing uneducated bimbos telling them how things should be. If McCain didn't select Palin she would probably be washing dishes at a diner in Alaska right now.

July 22, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |