Bristol: I lied to my Mom
July 22nd, 2011

Bristol: I lied to my Mom

(CNN) – Bristol Palin admits it was "stupid" to lie to her mother, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, about the night she lost her virginity to ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston.

"It was a night that I look back on with the adult eyes that I have now and I just realize that that was so stupid," Palin said Thursday on HLN's "Dr. Drew." "That was so stupid to lie to my mom and to have those series of bad decisions that I made all in one night."

She and Johnston had a son together and were briefly engaged. Bristol said they no longer speak and that she was "an idiot" to believe they would be together forever.

"I was an idiot for believing that and thinking that," Palin said. "But, yes he had me convinced."

The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee's eldest daughter and author of "Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far," said she used to fall for boys she "could fix," but now looks for men that are "into their families, that are on the same page with their faith as me."

Although she wishes she stuck to her abstinence pledge, she said it is important that sex education be taught in schools.

"I think it needs to be taught," she said. "But I mean, kids are going to do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

HLN, like CNN is owned by Time Warner, Inc.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. AJ

Why does CNN keep reporting on this twit's every utterance? Are people really that interested or has CNN left the news genre altogether and now just concentrating on tabloid reporting? What a bloody disgrace.

July 22, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. strangways

Enough with the Palins, already! Let them crawl into the backwoods shack where they belong. Imagine – Bristol Palin being paid $100K to lecture on teen abstinence. only in America... verrrrry sad.

July 22, 2011 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. Beth

How typical for Bristol Palin to rewrite history with herself as a victim. It would be nice for just one Palin to accept responsibility for personal decisions instead of blaming it on other people or the media. Clearly, that's not going to happen.

July 22, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. lynn

Lying runs in her family, would you expect her upbringing to produce anything better. And many still worship at the Palin throne. It's a mystery to the rest of us.

July 22, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  5. RBH

And why is this grand revelation in the political section?

July 22, 2011 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. yonas

Seriously America!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 22, 2011 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  7. NYCMovieFan

My goodness, somebody with sense needs to talk to Bristol Palin, or she will never amount to anything. She needs someone like Hilary Clinton or Michelle Obama, somebody with a brain and not just a cash register, to mend her ways. The sad thing is that as long as Bristol gets paid for spreading her nonsense, then she will find a platform to do so. She is no role model for anybody, she has nothing to say except what the public relations company has written for her to read today. And going on DWTS was the ultimate low, it is not a good idea to take someone who has done everything wrong, dress her up and parade her around for more laughs at her expense. I see all the Palin books in the last remaining local bookstore, and they sit and sit on the shelves. Good! We are too smart for this icky garbage, we literally are NOT buying it, so please get a high school diploma and get a job for a change, then the Palins may learn something worth listening to – but we're not holding our breaths for intelligence and common sense to come from them!

July 22, 2011 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  8. Eardley Ham Woodbury, MN

It's OK, dear. It's an inherited trait.

July 22, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  9. Tracey

Just a question. How can a 20 year old girl have enough life experience to right a book? I don't understand. I'm 38 and I don't think I have enough life experience yet. Oh and as for the whole "I was on birth control but it wasn't effective" comment, so was I. My son is now 18. I don't understand why they continue to tell their own version of the truth. Tell the whole truth and people just might gain some respect for you. Keep lying and everyone is going to stop listening and maybe just maybe by telling the truth you can stop some other young teen girl from becoming another young teen mom. Smarten up Bristol!

July 22, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  10. Michael in Houston

CNN....I understand that you have long held a fascination with posting articles about these scam artists called Palin...but could you tell us, your subscribers, how Bristol's virginity, Bristols teen pregnancy, Bristols dancing, Bristols lying to her mother, etc is deemed material for the political ticker column?

July 22, 2011 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  11. Greenspam

A woman thinking about molding a man into her ideal? I have NEVER heard of such absurd idea *SARCASM*

July 22, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  12. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

She not only lied to her mom about having sex, but she failed to understand that having unprotected sex leads to babies. Why didn't she know this? Oh, that's right, she failed to get a full understanding of what sex does and what steps could prevent pregnancy because her mom only believes in absetance only teaching. She and her mom are idiots because there are some teens out there that are going to ignore the absentance teaching and have sex. Anyone who has been around teens know that is a thing that they think about a lot. Some are just going to do it. Why shouldn't they have a full understanding of what goes on with the act?

July 22, 2011 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  13. Chumlee

Please CNN – keep the Palin trailer trash off of your pages – there are many more important issues to be focusing on -
    you are discrediting your company with every mention of this low-class family.

July 22, 2011 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  14. gran

Proud member of "Global Zero" – You want privacy for this family? That's really funny. Perhaps you need to tell them that you want them to quit writing books about their private lives, quit making appearances talking about their private lives, and quit talking on talk shows about their private lives. STOP BLAMING THE MEDIA FOR REPORTING. IT'S THEIR JOB. PUT THE BLAME ON THE PALINS WHERE IT BELONGS! If the Palins would just shup up, they would no longer be in the news.

July 22, 2011 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  15. Mark from Canada

"But, yes he had me convinced."
    Just like mommy – forever the victim. What a distorted and ugly view of the world this family has.

July 22, 2011 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. D

Ah, nice to see that she's finally acknowledging that 'abstinence only' education is a failure! :)

July 22, 2011 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  17. DIANA

First of all, why is this on the Political Ticker. I KNOW there are more interesting political stories out there. Second, don't worry Bristole look who your role model is – mom. Kids are a reflection of their parents- just saying.

July 22, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. K.A. Villa

Really, now. It's been 16 minutes...her time is up. Nobody CARES about her choices in life. We ALL have choices to make. We make them and move on. MOVE ON already!!!

July 22, 2011 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  19. CBR

Bristol Palin is one of many teenagers who have been pregnant while still in school. Her claim to fame is she is Sarah Palin;s daughter. She has not had to face the issues that others have faced. She has made money because she is Sarah Palin's daughter and has been drawn into the public eye by her mother. Mom and daughter have used the media to their advantage. CNN has been complicit int his rise to power trlying to make news where there should be none.

July 22, 2011 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  20. Anonymous

Oh please. A book written by Bristol Palin. Talk about "Dumb and Dumber". I'd rather stick a razor knife in my eye than read tripe written by her or her mother. They're both idiots.

July 22, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  21. Only Logic

I must be totally missing something here and I hope someone can explain it to me. Lying and deception are a skills that Sarah Palin has employed to tremendous personal advantage. Undoubtedly, Bristol has learned these skills as a simple function of parental role modeling. So, logically speaking, shouldn't Sarah have been happy and proud to learn that her pregnant daughter is learning to use and apply the skills that served her (Sarah) to very well? Ergo, why is Bristol apologizing for this? Shouldn't she be thanking her mother for imparting such skills?

Can someone please explain this to me? I really don't understand Bristol's "guilt."

July 22, 2011 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  22. Fixer2010

Stupid. That about sums her up.

July 22, 2011 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  23. Nancy in WA

All has been quiet, thank goodness, on the Sarah Palin front, so why do we need to start reading what Bristol Palin has to say now. And like someone else said, adults don't talk about their sex life or the night they had drunken sex for the first (yeah, right) time.

July 22, 2011 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  24. Linton

Well, you learned how to lie from momma grizzly, huh?

July 22, 2011 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  25. Proud Liberal

Why is this story on the Political Ticker? Because girl is Sara Palin's daughter? What does this have to do with politics?
    Then the Palin followers wonder why we always trash the Palins. CNN is always airing out the Palin's dirty laundry just to gget the responses they can count on. Stop putting these greedy people in the news for no good reason. Palin isn't running for POTUS and even if she were, she doesn't have a snowflake's chance in hell of winning. CNN is starting to resemble People Magazine or the Enquirer with their constant reporting on everything Palin for no reason.

July 22, 2011 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |