Bristol: I lied to my Mom
July 22nd, 2011

Bristol: I lied to my Mom

(CNN) – Bristol Palin admits it was "stupid" to lie to her mother, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, about the night she lost her virginity to ex-boyfriend Levi Johnston.

"It was a night that I look back on with the adult eyes that I have now and I just realize that that was so stupid," Palin said Thursday on HLN's "Dr. Drew." "That was so stupid to lie to my mom and to have those series of bad decisions that I made all in one night."

"I was an idiot for believing that and thinking that," Palin said. "But, yes he had me convinced."

The 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee's eldest daughter and author of "Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far," said she used to fall for boys she "could fix," but now looks for men that are "into their families, that are on the same page with their faith as me."

Although she wishes she stuck to her abstinence pledge, she said it is important that sex education be taught in schools.

"I think it needs to be taught," she said. "But I mean, kids are going to do whatever they want to do at the end of the day."

HLN, like CNN is owned by Time Warner, Inc.

Filed under: Bristol Palin • Sarah Palin
  1. Linton

QUOTE: Can someone please explain this to me? I really don't understand Bristol's "guilt."

She has no guilt- she'd do it all over again if given the chance......this is the Palin family way of defelcting their hypocrisy.

July 22, 2011 12:07 pm at 12:07 pm |
  2. Todd

"Remember Mom, when I told you that I thought you'd make a great president? Well..."

July 22, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  3. When Worlds Collide

Why, may I ask, is this on the political ticker page?

July 22, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  4. Embarrased Conservative

I realize her mother is supposed to be...gulp...a political figure but shouldn't this particular story be in the entertainment section.

July 22, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  5. Zil Zerimar

Hi Bristol,

Next time you do it ask first permission from your Mom. Hahahaha....

July 22, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  6. BCM

Why is this on the political ticker? It seems there are plenty of real political stories available and you should not give this unwed teen mother any more publicity.

July 22, 2011 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  7. logic in LA

Why waste space on this?

July 22, 2011 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  8. Kevin

A Palin lying? OMG, who would have ever thought that? And no, Bristol, that wasn't stupid. What is stupid is that for money, you have no problem exposing your most intimate secrets with the entire world. But hey, you did learn that from your mom.. How's that go, the nuts don't fall far from the tree or something...

July 22, 2011 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  9. Steven Collins

Why is this on the political ticker?

July 22, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  10. Malick Rexorte

CNN's campaign of a Palin story every few days marches on.

No better way than that to keep the liberal sheep in a continued fury over their self-made villian.

July 22, 2011 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  11. Evil Hollywood Liberal

i'm sure there was lots of stupid stuff going on, before and since.

July 22, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  12. fuzzy

According to what criteria is this news?

July 22, 2011 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  13. Thereik1

My original comment was not posted but the theme essentially is that you cannot blame Ms. Palin for the nonsense that comes from her mouth. Rather you question the judgment of those who provide her with a platform. However there are other issues at hand. I did not watch the show but from what I've read of the comments here, it sounds as if Dr. Drew suggested to Ms. Palin that her virginity was 'stolen'. This lie and others like it are what we now perpetuate as we no longer know what standards we want for our children. We want our teenage girls to be 'sexy' and to be virgins at the same time. We want them to be innocent and knowing all at once. In one word, we want them to have their cake and eat it. In the not too distant past, Ms. Palin would be held in contempt for being pregnant out of wedlock. This reaction, granted was harsh and unkind, but the solution is not to pretend that it's something that should be celebrated. If however this is what we want as a society, then we must not make 'victims' of the likes of Ms. Bristol.
    Presently politicians like Ms. Bachman are up in arms against gay marriage as they see this as the threat to "marriage" amongst non-gay folk as we know it. However I doubt that the percentage of gays will increase just because they are allowed to marry. The reason marriage is being threatened is because sex has become cheap. It happens during a night of drinking wine coolers. Why should the boy feel the need to be committed?
    I wonder.

July 22, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  14. WTH?

Oh crap. I thought the headline said, "Bristol Stupid Like Mom". I wasted a click.

July 22, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  15. ART

Well the apple does not fall far from the tree,her mother lies everytime she opens her mouth.

July 22, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  16. Terry

I clicked on this article just to read the comments. What I suspected turned out to be true – the Palin family is deep within the empty skulls of their opposition. Considering how irrelevant these folks really are today, the reactions from the left is completely out of balance.

Seriously, any member of the Palin family could state "I have a cold" and CNN would publish it in their political ticker, and all of you dogs of Pavlov would jump in to claim the cold came because they are uneducated or Republican.

I'm not really a fan of the Palins, but I have to tip my hat to them for shedding light on what the worst of the left in America has become. Shame on you people. Seriously.

July 22, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  17. T'sah from Virginia

[She and Johnston had a son together and were briefly engaged. Bristol said they no longer speak and that she was "an idiot" to believe they would be together forever.]

Actually, her MOM forced her and Levi into the MEDIA limelight with a situation that should have been resolved in the privacy of their own home – This may have caused Bristol and Levi to separate. I truly believe if Sarah Palin chose NOT to accept the VP bid and remained in AK where her family belonged at that time – Levi would now be a part of their life and things would have been DIFFERENT!!!

I watch Dr. Drew every night but last night, I turned it off. There are many teens out there PREGNANT and are NOT offered the same stage. This coming from Bristol is NOT going to save any teens out there that are PREGNANT or thinking about having sex!!! Bristol’s outcome made her RICH – a TV celebrity – gave her a beautiful home – and I guarantee you, she’s still having sex!!! Pah-Leeezzzzeeee give me a BREAK!!!

July 22, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. Whydoi Visityoursite

For the love of god, how low can you go cnn? You keep putting inane, pointless crap like this on the politics page, and it keeps getting worse, not better. I remember when at least one of the N's in CNN stood for news. You should either fire someone, hire someone, or teach the editors you have what news is supposed to be. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

July 22, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. Jake

i still don't understand why the teenager was already on birth control, and why she was away on a camping trip without adult supervision?? and of course i'm only confused because of her governor mother's "moral principles" and voting record on a woman's right to choose, etc

July 22, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. Meg

If you don't like the Palins, that is fine, but where do some of you get off implying Bristol was a fast moving teen who slept around? Getting pregnant at a young age is not ideal, but it certainly doesn't make you a slut. Teens can sign all the pledges they want, but at the end of the day, she is right, they will do what they want to do. Typically, teens have very little impulse control and tend to live in the moment. She made mistakes but she seems to be doing the best she can with the life she has created for herself. I don't see how she is being immature or irresponsible. I certainly hope those of you being so hard on her are not raising children of your own. If you think your child will never lie to you or sleep with someone before they are married, best of luck to you. I also suggest you take a look back at your teen years. I doubt you were as perfect as you expect the Palin children to be.

July 22, 2011 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. bill

I hear we lost $1.3 billion in the Chrysler bailout.

July 22, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. koalaholik

Why is this not in Entertainment? Why is this even being covered?

July 22, 2011 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  23. Mike Kensington

Did you know that the number of millionaires has exploded in this country in the last two years? You know why? BECAUSE they do something most Americans don't do...INVEST.

Visit the SimpleStockCash site, and go right to the penny' stock page to see what the rich do not want you to know.

You will see the money flowing.

July 22, 2011 01:08 pm at 1:08 pm |
  24. PD

She'd seem more like an adult to me if she would stop trying to publicly pin the blame for her own failings on Levi. This is the father of her child... she should show some discretion for the kid's sake if nothing else.

July 22, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  25. Tom

This was not his first either....he lost his virginity to Sarah Palin so don't be so sorry about lying to your mother about your sex life.

July 22, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |