Palin: Obama's 'fear mongering'
July 27th, 2011
08:37 AM ET
3 years ago

Palin: Obama's 'fear mongering'

(CNN) - Sarah Palin accused President Obama of "scaring" the American people over the importance of raising the debt ceiling before the August 2 deadline.

"Scaring the American people is exactly what President Obama is doing," Palin said Tuesday night on Fox News. "The president's getting pretty good at this fear mongering and trying to cram down the public's throat this idea of bigger government, more spending."

Although the former Alaska governor and 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee said she respects House Speak John Boehner's efforts to negotiate with the president, she said there is a larger problem with his strategy.

"The internal problem that he has is reinventing the wheel here in the 11th hour, when we already have Cut, Cap and Balance that passed the House, and we don't need to retreat now and wave a white flag," Palin said.

The Republican-controlled House passed "Cut, Cap, and Balance," a plan that failed to pass the Democratic-controlled Senate last week. The pledge includes cuts and caps in spending and a balanced budget amendment to the constitution. Boehner is now trying to put forward a plan that includes the framework of the pledge in a deal that could become law. Obama is advocating for a "balanced approach" to the crisis that would combine spending cuts and no extension of Bush-era tax cuts for families making more than $250,000 a year.

Palin, who is considering a bid for the White House in 2012, has said raising the debt ceiling is inevitable, but that Republicans "better get something out of it."

"This August 2 deadline is looming, but it's not Armageddon, it's not life-or-death, so Boehner and the Republicans have got to make sure that they've got a good plan in front of those who will be voting on this plan," Palin said.


Filed under: 2012 • Congress • Debt • Deficit • President Obama • Sarah Palin
soundoff (700 Responses)
  1. Really?

    So, warning the country of a potential economic A-bomb is fear mongering, but scaring the crap out of senior citizens by telling them "death panels" were on the way isn't? This woman is a grade A loon. She is such a hypocrite!

    July 27, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  2. Vader

    Ms Palin, YOU scare me and you don't even try.

    July 27, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  3. WFO

    I'm sure she recognizes the fear tactic. Her handlers and advisors certainly do. Folks, this is getting ridiculous.

    Define terrorism.

    Now define the actions of nearly ANY of these politicans and compare that to the definition of terrorism.

    Make room at Gitmo.
    :)

    July 27, 2011 12:10 pm at 12:10 pm |
  4. Rachel

    Fear Mongering?! Really, Republicans do that all the time, it is exactly how they win elections or get us to go to war. People have too short a memory. I guess people still believe there are WMD in Iraq. Just hidden really well.

    July 27, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  5. Paul Willson

    And Ms.Palin and the GOP isn't trying to set USA up for a fall. I do not see them giving much effort to solve the problem , excepting Speaker of the House who is at least trying to do something.

    July 27, 2011 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  6. Jeff

    Its fear mongering for sure. Obama is trying to make everyone believe that without raising the dbt ceiling The USA will collapse and people will go with out SS checks. He is so full of bull its not even funny. His own advisors told him back in 2009 that the debt ceiling could go no futher than 15 trillion or that would do unrepairable dammage the the US, now here he is saying hey let me run it up to 16.7 trillion in national debt. He must be trying to test his advisors therories. We would be better off to not raise the ceiling at all, forced cuts would then have to take place and the house would be doing the cutting.

    July 27, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  7. Colleen

    she who has no plan ...is starting to show her age...and it ain't pretty...

    July 27, 2011 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  8. Diane

    ha ha ha ha... isn't she funny? Hee hoooo, oh you make me laugh, Sarah. Just go awaaaayyyyy. Go awwwyyyyy funny woman. Just park your big old bus somewhere and get lost!

    July 27, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  9. angryoldguy

    A note to "Just As I Thought"- Your comment & your user name are a contradiciton in terms! Everyone who doesn't agree with you is the enemy of the US! It's obvious why someone like Palin appeals to you! She's as "thoughtful" as you are, i.e.: not at all! The educational system has failed if it gives us people who do nothing more than emotional knee-jerk reactions to others they disagree with whle they worship people who do nothing more than feed on fear & conspiracy theories, God have mercy on us all if someone like Palin, Bachman, Pawlenty, Perry, etc ever slides into the highest office in the land!

    July 27, 2011 12:13 pm at 12:13 pm |
  10. Chris B

    So if it's not that big of a deal why are they(GOP) using it as leverage to get something out of it. Obviously it is if everyone s sweating about it.

    July 27, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  11. REB

    So she says President Obama (use his rightful title quitting-govenor Palin), that he is trying to scare us? She is the scary one, 2 seconds out of the limelight and she is barking out non-sense.

    July 27, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  12. LMC

    Sarah Palin is the queen of fear mongering so she should know all about it! Apparently she feels we can totally ignore the true concerns of the majority of economists plus Moody's and Standard and Poors and the effect of failing to raise the debt ceiling. I am so glad she knows more about the economy than everyone else!

    July 27, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  13. jsnholloway

    Wait, this is the same woman who said that HCR would create Death Panels right?

    July 27, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  14. EffortPA

    Sarah, Sarah, you are assuming that most people have your same intellect, but they don't. Yes, I agree that maybe 20% of them do, but the remaining 80% of the people are much, much smarter than that and they know perfectly well when somebody is trying to manipulate them and when they are not. That is why you do so well with those 20% of the people, but fail miserably with the remaining 80%. Yes, I agree that catering to that 20% is enough to make you rich, but that is as far as it will ever get you. It will never, ever be enough to win an election. Not even in Wasilla.

    July 27, 2011 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  15. Andrew

    Why is this story even printed? I could go on TV and say "The debt ceiling was caused by puppy dogs and space aliens," and it would make as much sense as anything that comes out of her mouth. Why do we continue to give this fool a microphone?

    July 27, 2011 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  16. ThinkAgain

    The debt ceiling has been raised a total of 102 times in our nation's history, including 17 times under Reagan, 5 times under GHW Bush, 4 times under Clinton and 7 times under GW Bush.

    Why? So we wouldn't default because it IS a big deal.

    Palin needs to shut up and do a little research before she next opens her mouth.

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  17. JOE

    Is Sarah Palin kidding? Obama fear mongering? Wasn't it Sarah Palin's fear mongering phrase of "Don't Retreat, Reload" that influenced and caused a gunman's insane rampage in Arizona that left six dead and Congresswoman Gabriella Giffords fighting for her life? Sarah Palin if you really want to help America you can do so by jumping off a cliff in Alaska.

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  18. keith

    I'm more scared of Sarah Palin or her clown partner in crime Rick Perry getting into the WH

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  19. MarineforLife

    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  20. Amunaka

    Wow...mamma grizzly accusing Obama of "fear mongering " ...you couldn't make this stuff

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. Anonymous

    ....and you're trying to scare us by threatening to run for President.

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  22. PalinisaJoke

    Please keep to your reality show.

    July 27, 2011 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  23. BCasero

    Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann perfectly represent today's Tea Party GOP. They are know nothing blowhards and are willing to share that fact with anyone willing to listen.

    July 27, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. srichey

    This woman has nothing useful to add to the debate.

    July 27, 2011 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. JIMMY

    Palin is so dumb she thinks the debt ceiling should be painted white.

    July 27, 2011 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28