Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon
July 28th, 2011

Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie checked into a hospital Thursday morning after he had difficulty breathing, the governor's press secretary, Michael Drewniak, said in a statement.

"In line with someone dealing with asthma, he is being given routine tests as a precautionary measure," Drewniak said.

Spokeswoman Maria Comella said Thursday afternoon that Christie is "fully alert and in charge" and that he was expected to leave Somerset Medical Center in the evening.

Comella told reporters that Christie received tests but no formal treatment, and that he would be back to work Friday morning.

She said the governor was able to walk into the emergency room even as he had difficulty breathing.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. Anonymous

Lose weight, gov.

July 28, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. lauradet

This is what happens whey you are 200 pounds overweight. The gov. is a fat pig.

July 28, 2011 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  3. MrBigDizzle

Time for bariatric surgery, Gov!!!

July 28, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  4. Tillie in Texas

Don't agree with his politics, but I wish him a speedy recovery. I also hope he fully appreciates his taxpayer funded health insurance plan because a poor person without health insurance can't afford to go to a hospital just "to be(ing) given routine tests as a precautionary measure,".

July 28, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  5. Spike5

I wish him well. But I wonder if someone without insurance would be getting all those precautionary tests and the same level of care?

July 28, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, maybe he choked on the crap he has been saying. He is not liked by many people because he is just a bully. He hasn't learned that he can't be like he was as he was during his time as a US Attorney.

July 28, 2011 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  7. Zenichi-Maro

Well, I for one am shocked. I mean, look at him! He's the picture of perfect health! And all that bilious hatred for anyone who's not rich and powerful is SURE to help his overall health.

Moron. Karma's a bit ch and you just got served. Hope you don't have the audacity to think the tax payers should fix your fat a$$.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  8. faith

Losing some weight might help.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  9. TP

Lose some weight fatboy. Arrogance will cathc up to you.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  10. maine liberal

Republican governor is grateful for the care he is receiving at the Somerset Medical Center.

The same care that he does not want others to receive. must be nice to have government paid health insurance.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  11. Chan

I like this guy. But not his policies.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  12. Jean Sartre

Well, Duh!

Doesn't he realize yet that he can't eat an entire cow in one bite?

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  13. CitizenCollins

hope he gets well soon. and hope he realizes the level of care he received is nothing close to what a typical patient gets when at a hospital. maybe he could look into that when he's president.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  14. Kelly

Karma, he is a pig.

July 28, 2011 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  15. Lardo boy sucking air

Karma is such a B, eh extra fat bully boy. Lmao. Why don't you lay off the donuts, tubby? Your helicopter won't strain so much on lift-off.

July 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  16. Bob Z.

It might help if he lost a couple tons. And hopefully this will stop people from trying to convince him for running for President, which I never understood the reason why. He is just too brash for such an office, and most of his policies and views suck.

July 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  17. faith

Please spare me I am not going to be phony like the rest of the white people.

July 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  18. musings

He's definitely in the age group and weight class for developing heart disease. I hope they give him a good going over, like my husband who had the same symptoms (and a history of asthma) – what they discovered was blocked arteries and he could not leave the hospital until bypass surgery was accomplished. That was a quad. Better than dropping dead in the street, as happens to so many 45-60 year old men who are otherwise asymptomatic. Youngest guy in his ward (and they were mostly men) was a policeman of 37 who looked like a very fit athlete – he wound up with a stent.

July 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  19. Che-3

How much does this crazy GOP FAT CAT weighs, 1000 lbs? Whew, FAT 1000 lbs. to be president of US? Not on our watch. NEVER! It won't happen.

July 28, 2011 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  20. tim

I thiink we need a bigger boat.

July 28, 2011 01:00 pm at 1:00 pm |
  21. Citizen K

I mean no disrespect, but Gov. Christie is extremely overweight and I can't help but assume that is relevant to his current health issues. I wish him a speedy recovery, but I hope he also considers his long term health. He has a bright future for his political career and I hope he lives long enough to see it.

July 28, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  22. keram

Does anyone in New Jersey NOT have a hard time breathing?

July 28, 2011 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  23. Dr. Sean Breen

God forbid he has lung cancer and needs medical marijuana. He will have to move to california.

July 28, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  24. james

I hope he feels better but iw ould like to see the everyday joe get treated on that fast. I bet he didn't wait a minute for service.

July 28, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  25. midnitejax

I love the way they spin the story about asthma being the cause. He is morbidly obese, and shortness of breath is one of the symptoms. He doesn't set a good example for children suffering from the very same problems. He needs to push himself away from the table. Eating everyhting on the table, including the table, isn't going to help him lose weight. His iimage as governor is tainted by his weight. I can't fathom anyone voting for an overindulgent fat guy for prez.

July 28, 2011 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |