Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon
July 28th, 2011

Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie checked into a hospital Thursday morning after he had difficulty breathing, the governor's press secretary, Michael Drewniak, said in a statement.

"In line with someone dealing with asthma, he is being given routine tests as a precautionary measure," Drewniak said.

Spokeswoman Maria Comella said Thursday afternoon that Christie is "fully alert and in charge" and that he was expected to leave Somerset Medical Center in the evening.

Comella told reporters that Christie received tests but no formal treatment, and that he would be back to work Friday morning.

She said the governor was able to walk into the emergency room even as he had difficulty breathing.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. jack johnson

I wish him well Good thing he has free healt insurance.

July 28, 2011 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  2. JEANNE

I also am no fan of the governor- but wish him well. I would like to suggest he take a look at his diet – his weight probably has more to do with his condition than his asthma.

July 28, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. matt

i hope you rot in the hospital mr christie your a very bad man i hate republicans

matt

July 28, 2011 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  4. Peniah

Not a fan of his party and politics but I like Gov. Christie and I pray for his speedy recovery. God bless you Sir.

July 28, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. Sandy

No fan, at all, but wish him well nonetheless.

July 28, 2011 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. elmers

i am not surprised; he is over weight.

July 28, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  7. camberly lillich

The guy is overweight. He needs to lose probably about 150 pounds.

July 28, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  8. Jean

Isn't immediate, quality, available health care a wonderful thing to have, Gov?

July 28, 2011 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  9. Liqmaticus

I don't agree with him on much, but the man has to agree with me on one subject. He has to lose weight if he wants to stay healthy. He looks horribly bloated. Get on a diet and stay healthy!!!

July 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  10. Jason

Karma! I see CNN is beginning to have the same censorship issues as FOX. They actually to took the entire comment link down, after getting feelings hurt for too many insults upon their favorite sacred COW! Censorship is unAmerican. You don't have to like it, but I have a right to say it.

July 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. BeverlyNC

I am not fan but for his own health he needs to lose weight and take better care of himself or he will not be able to do his job.

July 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. Dave Brown

Doctors initially feared he was suffering from a heart attack. Then they realized he doesn't have a heart.

July 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. Rhys

Can't help but think of all those uninsured who can't go to the hospital "as a precautionary measure". Christie likes it that way and opposes healthcare reform. Millions of people would be better off without him and his selfish ilk. He doesn't care about the health of others, I refuse to care about him!

July 28, 2011 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  14. lead by example

time for some exercise, dude.

July 28, 2011 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  15. Rob

Hope you get better, lose weight - and retire from politics asap to spend more time with your family.

July 28, 2011 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  16. Jed

Wow...CNN HAS to be editing these comments? Not ONE comment on how this man is severely overweight, and that "asthma" may be the least of this man's health troubles? I wish the man no ill will, but I hope he gets his weight under control, as he's a heart attack waiting to happen.

July 28, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  17. David

He's is a horrible person! I hope he gets worse.

July 28, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  18. democrat for life

what he should do is diet and take better care of his health if he really cares about his family. he should listen to michele obama and eat fresh fruits and vegtables. i hope he gets better but he needs to lose some weight. i'm glad i don't live in nj he is taking that state down the tubes.

July 28, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  19. DinaK

Gov. Christie, I love you, but please start a healthful eating, exercise routine. You are no different from any other human in that you must choose the right foods and make time for walking. There must be a treadmill somewhere in the Governor's mansion – put one of your t.v.s in front of it or put reading material on the display and work while you exercise.

July 28, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  20. Joe from CT, not Lieberman

While I am not a Chris Christie fan either, I hope for a speedy recovery for him. I will say this positive thing about him – he is forcing a debate among people who would prefer to keep their collective mouths shut.

July 28, 2011 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  21. Ivan Bial

maybe the cow he swallowed was trying to get out

July 28, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  22. Teeni

Sorry to hear but of course he will get good treatment because he has good health insurance. Send a homeless person wuth shortness of breath with no insurance and they won't get any help. My sister worked for Warren Buffet for 15 years and got ill and has Lupus and can't get health insurance and they wrote her a letter and let her job go knowing she was sick and couldn't return to work, and now is even sicker and no income, no insurance, no car, and hear homeless. But the rich have what they need so Govl Christie will get the care needed. He is not poor, homeless, without income like alol of Ameircan Citizens who worked many years of their life for this country. Especially our Veterans as well.

July 28, 2011 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  23. Bruce B

Speedy recovery Gov!

July 28, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  24. LouieD

Skip a meal every now and then...

July 28, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  25. brian32

I hope you get well soon, Christie. I guess some people are misinformed and had no clue you created more joblosses by closing Fire/police departments and chose to give that money to the wealthy and big oil interests making you fall right into the conservative movement. Creating jobloss's.to give to the wealthy is the biggest and worse example of socialism.

July 28, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |