Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon
July 28th, 2011

Gov. Christie expects to leave hospital soon

(CNN) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie checked into a hospital Thursday morning after he had difficulty breathing, the governor's press secretary, Michael Drewniak, said in a statement.

"In line with someone dealing with asthma, he is being given routine tests as a precautionary measure," Drewniak said.

Spokeswoman Maria Comella said Thursday afternoon that Christie is "fully alert and in charge" and that he was expected to leave Somerset Medical Center in the evening.

Comella told reporters that Christie received tests but no formal treatment, and that he would be back to work Friday morning.

She said the governor was able to walk into the emergency room even as he had difficulty breathing.

Filed under: Chris Christie
  1. McDonald

Time to start thinking about a diet???? Nah, that would be Un-American.

July 28, 2011 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. anita

Not a big fan of yours and your political positions, but wishing you a speedy recovery.

July 28, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  3. ted

Loose the weight! ...you will feel better... and look better.... and maybe we will let you become a liberal!

July 28, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  4. JayPA

Hope you feel better quickly, Governor. :) Politics are irrelevant in such situations.

July 28, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  5. 619_Fed UP

Lay off the fast food dude.

July 28, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  6. Kathryn D.

I do not live in NJ, but vacation in Cape May. NJ is a wondeful state – I wish the Governor well and admire his policies. I hope he can take it to the national level.

July 28, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  7. Flippity Flip

I like how they overly stressed "In line with someone dealing with asthma..." – – no, no – I'm sure this has nothing to do with the fact that he is 534 pounds and probably never saw a double cheeseburger he couldn't digest in about 15 seconds. This guy's in such miserable shape, "shortness of breath & difficulty breathing" sounds more like a heart condition to me. HELP! "I've fallen and I can't reach my cobbler pie slathered in whipped-cream & buttered drippings"... LOL

July 28, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. johnmenacherjr

I dont agree with his politics but hes got ideas and new ideas always get people thing. I am glad he has insurance as well as what i don't.

July 28, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Moosemeat

Glad he's putting his government paid healthcare to use. Hope he gets better so he can continue to bash socialized healthcare.

July 28, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Can't you see reality???

Yes ... get well soon, Governor.

BUT .... also be honest ... if you actually HAVE asthma, don't you think its time to take care of and get rid of your incredible girth ... which is, no doubt, contributing to your "breathing problems" and not helping the treatment of your asthma.

If this man can't (or won't) take care of himself ... why would any American want him to take care of the country?

July 28, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  11. Mrs. Beanz

Hope it's nothing serious, but he really needs to lose some weight.
    We need him for another term in NJ and then the White House!!!

July 28, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  12. DDSilks

Chris Christie is not a yes man, not an a$$kisser, and not one to cow down to anyone. He is giving his state what it needs, not what is popular. He is a realist, and understands that it is going to take some hard decisions to overcome the mismanagement of the past. I am from New Jersey, and some of the things he is proposing are hard to swallow, but I don;t see any other way out.
    I trust him and hope we don't lose him to the White House too soon!

July 28, 2011 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  13. Lost in Texas FOREVER

Gov Christie has always reminded me of the "big lug" you like to go out with and have a beer after work. Hope you get better soon and if you run in 2016 you just might get my vote.

July 28, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. Pat Foley

He's a fat bastard.. He needs to drop some weight

July 28, 2011 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. jimatmadison

Yeah, I'm sure it's an asthma attack. And I'll bet his doctor has been after him to lose about 300 pounds of 'asthma' for health reasons.

July 28, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. state helicopter pilot

What time you need to get picked up? We going from the hospital to the ball field

July 28, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. smarisurge

then his fat ass should lose some weight

July 28, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Just Me

It's nice to see the decency expressed in the comments thus far. People who does not care for the mans politics wishing him well. All is not lost in America.

July 28, 2011 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Larry L

Sometimes these events turn out for the best. If we get a wake-up call regarding our health we often start listening to our doctor and eat better, exercise more, and allow ourselves to relax when possible. I hope Governor Christie is able to devote more energy toward his own physical condition. I'm not a political fan – but I believe he is sincere in his efforts to help America. Best wishes Governor!

July 28, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. cubfan

Are we really surprised that a big fat guy is having trouble breathing? Lose a couple hundred pounds and get back to work!

July 28, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  21. Chuck

I have never read all positives on any politician. He gets my vote for President. Good health to you gov.

July 28, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Name

His FAT ass must understand being overweight is not acceptable and certainly comes it's disadvantages. He should make a great effort to lose weight mostly for himself and his family. Jenny Craig, where r u? He'd make a great rep. I would totally support and applaud him.

July 28, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. milehigh303

FATTY! He needs to lose at least 50 pounds.

July 28, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  24. TIGER2

I hope he fells better too. Now maybe he will lose some weight and get himself in shape! It's hard out there on a government, its harder when you're not in good health!

July 28, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  25. Steve

Luckily for the Governor, he is given health care that provides for him in these emergent situations. Maybe Gov Christie should reflect for a moment, and think how a young child in the same predicament feels when they have difficulty breathing, but aren't able to afford the luxury of seeing a doctor. Then again, with all of Gov Christie's cuts to our teachers, chances are, we won't have anyone educated enough to become a doctor in the future, so health insurance probably won't be such a big issue then as there won't be any providers. We hope you feel better Governor, and realize that in crisis times, we shouldn't need to run a credit check on someone prior to helping them.

July 28, 2011 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |