President's Twitter campaign back-tweets
July 29th, 2011

President's Twitter campaign back-tweets

Washington (CNN) – It's hard to explain it in 140 characters or less. President Obama's re-election Twitter account lost thousands of followers Friday after his 2012 campaign tried to use the social media site to turn up the heat on Republicans over the debt ceiling.

The account, @BarackObama, sent out scores of tweets Friday listing the Twitter handles for dozens of GOP members of Congress.

"If you live in Wisconsin, ask @SenRonJohnson http://twitter.com/SenRonJohnson to support a bipartisan compromise to the debt crisis," one tweet said.

Earlier in the day, the president called on Americans to use Twitter, as well as other forms of communication, to send a message to Congress to end the stalemate.

"Let your members of Congress know, make a phone call, send an e-mail, tweet, keep the pressure on Washington and we can get past this," the President said.

But the tweet offensive may have backfired. Or is that back-tweeted?

According to the website Twitter Counter, the account lost tens of thousands of followers Friday.

White House reporters and the president's critics questioned whether Mr. Obama's re-election campaign was spamming its more than nine million followers.

"Bam's spam? President Barack Obama takes debt battle to Twitter, loses more than 33,000 followers," the Twitter account @whitehousepresscorps tweeted as of 6pm Friday.

An Obama re-election campaign official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, brushed off the account's losses, arguing there's a "natural burn rate" any time you send an email or tweet.

Members of Congress tweeted back their frustrations.

"Dear #Obamatons you are ruining my interactions with thoughtful democrats with this spam. And U R hurting your President," tweeted Rep. Dennis Ross R-Florida.

Filed under: Debt • Deficit • President Obama • Twitter
  1. bryan2568

This president has created a great divide in this country with his political tactics.

He may not have created the problems he has been handed, but he is not the right person to fix them.

July 30, 2011 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  2. Paul Cooper

With each passing inanity, I find myself more convinced that the president thinks he's a character on TV and is therefore willing to read or say whatever they give him because he thinks the script writers have it all figured out long-term. He just doesn't seem to grasp that this is all real, and really important.

July 30, 2011 08:45 am at 8:45 am |
  3. Dave in Jax, FL

Gee, I remember a similar comment made about the completion of a task by a past president that the media jumped all over...."Mission Accomplished". Where's the extreme media coverage now?

July 30, 2011 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  4. PeterD

Obama has hold progressive as well as needy Black People as his slave in order to vote for him in 2012. Talk about Change he can bring.

July 30, 2011 08:51 am at 8:51 am |
  5. That is hilarious!!!

Oh snap! Mr. "I'll United Politicians From Both Sides of the Aisle When You Elect Me As President" is crashing and burning with these budget talks. How funny is it that neither he NOR the Democrats have yet to present THEIR BUDGET?? Just too funny. Worst President in history – bar none. Obama, Reid and Pelosi turned our fiscal affairs upside down in less than 2 years. THANK GOD the American people spoke in RECORD FASHION in Nov 2010 and said "No Mas"! Can you imagine if the Dems had a majority in the Congress even today. We'd be broke in a couple of years.

I feel like some South Side Chicago loser moved into my house and took over my budget....and then told me that he wanted me to spend more and more of my money on things I don't need. Then tells me to go out and get a second job to pay for all the reckless spending. Here's an idea....STOP SPENDING SO MUCH MONEY!!!!!

Wonder if Michelle is proud of her country yet? Can you believe we have a First Lady who feels that way???!!! No other First Lady in history has EVER made a comment like that about our country. Outrageous!

July 30, 2011 09:03 am at 9:03 am |
  6. southnh

Serves Obumbels right!!

July 30, 2011 09:04 am at 9:04 am |
  7. jimmyjam

nowadays, this is the only way to reach some voters!

July 30, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  8. Monica

I loved it! If he lost followers on twitter then they weren't supporters of his in the first place. Obama for President in 2012!

July 30, 2011 09:18 am at 9:18 am |
  9. Bob

The rest of the world is watching America with great interest – kind of like when you watch a car crash....

July 30, 2011 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  10. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

The vast majority of Americans want to see tax increases included in the debt discussions. Therefore there is nothing unreasonable about the vast majority of Americans contacting the GOBPbaggers to tell them to stop playing their little political terrorism games while protecting the greedy and not the needy. Keep making those calls and sending those emails folks!

July 30, 2011 09:39 am at 9:39 am |
  11. Jon Thompson

It is time to consider another democrat to run against Obama in 2012. He can't lead and he can't win.

July 30, 2011 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  12. Ron in California

Twitter isn't for mass marketing. Once again Obama and his advisors screw up. 18 months to go. I hope the next guy is more experienced.

July 30, 2011 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  13. mike

How do we know that the followers were Obama supporters in the first place just because you are a follower doesn't mean that you support the person you are following if he didn't have support the phone lines on the hill wouldn't have been jammed up stop the spin its not working

July 30, 2011 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. MJ

Well, if this idiotic measure is being used to gauge such an important issue as the Debt ceiling, then I guess I have to start a twitter account. I SUPPORT THE PRESIDENT COMPLETELY ON THIS.

July 30, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  15. sharky

I am grateful I do NOT have a twitter account. So not only will it be robotcalls come election time, but it will be twitterbot tweets come election time as well. Ugh politics sucks.

July 30, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  16. Dan, TX

But how many people contacted their congressmen, none? 100,000? Without that information, the content of this article really is meaningless. Or at least have a comparison. How many congressional newsletter emails induce people to unsubscribe. I just unsubscribed to John Cornyn's because I'm done with him.

July 30, 2011 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  17. lisa

Why doesn't he tweet his plan????

July 30, 2011 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  18. exhausted

Sounds like sabotage.

July 30, 2011 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  19. CJ

I don't tweet but I probably should learn because I might have been able to reach my representatives yesterday if I had tweeted them! When I phoned, I got a busy signal or a message telling me to call back later when the volume of calls went down.

At a time like this, you ought to be able to reach them and if tweeting is how you can do it, then I'm all for it!

July 30, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  20. Root and stem

Mr. Obama is a radical beyond anything we have seen in the White House EVER yet CNN ignores it, and actually protects and promotes him. It appears the shit is now hitting the fan economically and socially and when Mr. Obama goes down next year he will be taking his sycophants such as CNN with him.

July 30, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  21. Bone Fide

The heartbreak of all the Debt Crisis issue is what it has done in dividing this great country. Our President has by his speeches and actions placed a wedge between our people. Instead of bringing everyone together, identifying the main problem and allowing the country to join together to face the crisis, he has tried to blame and humiliate half the nation. Basically he wants to get another 4 years in the White House, but at what cost?
    The debt has to be diminished. This country cannot continue borrowing more and more money.
    Lets start taxing imports, make it lucrative to manufacture in America. Lower personal taxes so more money can be spent. Make sure that every citizen pays tax, no matter how small an amount. Reduce the size of government. Normalize the salaries paid the public servants. Encourage Oil drilling and the reduction of energy costs. Control the price of basic foods supplies. Cap the profits on essential products, ie gasoline et al.
    Pay teachers the salaries they deserve. Improve access to hospitals and medical help. and the list goes on and on.
    AND IN FUTURE, LET THE PRESIDENT SWEAR ALLEGIENCE TO THE COUNTRY AND BE FORCED TO BREAK FROM WHATEVER PARTY PUT HIM IN POWER. HE WORKS FOR THE PEOPLE, NOT THE PARTY.

July 30, 2011 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  22. USA

What a waste of a leader...tweeting - pleeeease.

July 30, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  23. Larry L

The President remains the only person dealing with the debt crisis behaving like a responsible leader. As the Republicans play politics and defend the wealthiest Americans only my life savings erodes away. The Tea Party is holding America hostage with their radical approach at destroying the American government – and Republicans bow down to this group of angry bigots.

July 30, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  24. socalgal

I have never in my life experienced such a low life US president–and affixing that moniker to the person denigrates the name, the office and the USA.

July 30, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |