Cain wins Denver straw poll
July 31st, 2011

Cain wins Denver straw poll

(CNN) - Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain won the Western Conservative Summit 2011 Denver Presidential Straw Poll Sunday, 35 points ahead of second-place finisher Texas Gov. Rick Perry, who has yet to announce a bid for the White House.

Cain, the former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza and radio host, received 48 percent followed by Perry with 13 percent; former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and former Sen. Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania with 10 percent and Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann with 9 percent. Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John Bolton, who has said he will decide about a 2012 bid by September, received 4 percent. The other declared and non-declared candidates garnered fewer than 4 percent support.

Perry, Santorum, Cain and Bolton all spoke at the summit.

Five hundred and eight ballots were cast at the three-day conference organized by the Centennial Institute at the Colorado Christian University, which works toward public awareness of faith, family and freedom.

Event organizer John Andrews said the Denver Straw poll is the “first test of 2012 presidential preferences among grassroots activists in Colorado and the Western states.”

On his Twitter account, Cain said he was “honored” to learn of his win.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • John Bolton • Michele Bachmann • Mitt Romney • Rick Santorum
  1. Shellita

Colorado CHRISTIAN College...well, there you have it. Now we know why they picked who they did...any surprises? Does anyone doubt Obama will carry the black vote? Mitt the Mormon vote? Perry or Cain the Evangelical vote. Big news here folks.

July 31, 2011 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. lgny

How many straw polls will there be? This has to be the 20th of the season already.

They mean nothing, carry no weight.

July 31, 2011 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  3. ivan bial

it's the season of the crazies

July 31, 2011 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. A Real Patriot

I'll have mine with pepperoni, bell peppers, common sense and a side of humility.....oh....you don't carry that? I guess I'll have to call Poppa John's!

Pathetic...I hope they nominate him....This is the Party of Ford? Reagan? Dole?

July 31, 2011 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  5. bill

big deal for cain

July 31, 2011 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  6. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I think that this might be one of the few things that he could win. I think that he is going to fail the rest. There is no way that he can win more than a few primaries. He doesn't have the organization and the understanding to be president. He has never worked in government and knows nothing about it.

July 31, 2011 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Bill in Florida

Fortunately, the Tea Baggers account for 20-25% of the electorate. Let's hope the Dems and moderates turn out in 2012 like they did in 2008, and kick out all the Baggers.

July 31, 2011 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  8. Robrob

Interesting that the GOP couldn't hardly bring itself to elect an African-American to Congress prior to 2008, suddenly has an African-American front runner for President in 2012.

July 31, 2011 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Silent Majority

Poor Herman Cain. This campaign is going to bankrupt him. Just have fun while it lasts, my friend. And when it's over, I'll buy you a slice of pie and you can tell me about the good times you had.

July 31, 2011 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  10. John

A truly representative group of the American electorate.

July 31, 2011 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  11. Ronald

Bozo the Clown won a straw poll in Monkey Junction, Norh Dakota. And guess what? Nobody gives a flip either.

July 31, 2011 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  12. Tim

Wow! 508 right-wing nuts vote and it's big news. I must have accidently gone to Foxnews.

July 31, 2011 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  13. Steven Colo

Some guy with no political experience whatsoever wins, someone who hasn't announced comes in second. Santorum tied for third... What planet are the voters living on? Is this a measure of electability, or wackiness on the issues?

July 31, 2011 11:32 pm at 11:32 pm |
  14. Pete

If this poll result is remotely indicative of the result of the Republican nominating process, it's gonna be 1964 all over again......

July 31, 2011 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  15. Limbaugh is a liberal

You do of course realize that most of these candidates are shunned already by their own party. Sure, they can tout that on a special conference of some part of the extreme right they won this or that many percentage of votes, but overall these fringe candidates have no momentum among the larger population of republicans. In no actual national poll of republican voters does Cain come anywhere near this popularity.

July 31, 2011 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  16. polite centrist

I don't think any of the Republican candidates will get much support from the moderates. You can't win without us!

July 31, 2011 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  17. m1983

Mr Cain you can win all the straw polls from now on, you will never be President. President Obama will have that honor
    again in 2012.

August 1, 2011 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  18. sqeptiq

So how many people voted in this poll? And how big a win for the tealiban is that?

August 1, 2011 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  19. sqeptiq

Well, I found the answer. A monstrous tidal wave of humanity, 246 people voted for Cain. I bet the whole electoral world trembles at this landslide. Out of 508 votes. Amazing win!!!!!

August 1, 2011 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  20. Larry L. Clifton

Glad to see Mr. Cain out in front of the pack where he belongs. Cain and the FairTax are just what this country needs to get back on track and in the black. The career politicians have been spending us into the poorhouse for 60+ years. Both parties have had a hand in our failed economy and the decisions that have gotten us here. they claim to have experience, expertise and wisdom. Really??? They are either inept or worse. The proof is all around us. I believe it is perfect timing to give Mr. Herman Cain a shot at leading our Republic back to greatness. The old guard invertebrates from both parties just are not up to the job. Shame on them.
    Vote for Herman Cain and let's all make the FairTax a reality! Quality leadership and economic freedom. It's about time!

August 1, 2011 12:53 am at 12:53 am |
  21. kat

I like Cain, He has a lot of common sense, but I don't think he has a chance od being elected President, He doesn't have any government experience, however I like that, I just don't think the Average Voter will allow that, especially after BHO. Good going Cain, I think you are a good businessman and a great American.

August 1, 2011 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  22. shoegazer

Good thing it's onlty a straw poll.......

August 1, 2011 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  23. shoegazer

sorry..."only"

August 1, 2011 01:47 am at 1:47 am |
  24. Bill Burk

I have never understood how ANY minority can be a Republican

August 1, 2011 03:37 am at 3:37 am |
  25. zanny

I thought people in Denver were smarter than that. I guess I was wrong!!!

August 1, 2011 03:42 am at 3:42 am |