Pelosi on debt deal: 'Not one red cent from the wealthiest people'
August 1st, 2011

Pelosi on debt deal: 'Not one red cent from the wealthiest people'

Washington (CNN) – House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi continued to withhold her endorsement for the debt deal Monday, even though President Obama said Sunday night Congressional leaders were on board.

Speaking to reporters on her way into a closed door meeting with House Democrats Monday, Pelosi said, "We're very concerned that a bill that makes these big cuts and has no – not one red cent from the wealthiest people in our country – no revenue – is very disconcerting, that is."

Pelosi added that she was weighing the positive aspects of the deal, like its long length and that it does not include entitlement cuts, and the negative aspects. She said she would discuss the measure with her caucus.

Pressed on whether she had made a decision to support the deal, she said, "I'm not going to be making any announcement."

Filed under: Debt • Deficit • Nancy Pelosi
  1. sonny chapman

They don't like to be called The Rich: They prefer JOB CREATORS.

August 1, 2011 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  2. wuzzup

Please get her off the radar. No more quotes from this idiot.

The debt ceiling has nothing to do raising revenue...from the rich or the poor.

We have to pay bills for debts incurred. If we welch on our debts, every voter will pay (through the nose!)...

Pelosi, your 15 minutes are up...You're not helping anyone when you open your mouth!

August 1, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  3. FM

I was expecting her to understand it better than us. Ms. Pelosi, no one, I repeat no one has got everything they wanted. Bush tax cuts will expire the end of 2012. Is this too long for you to wait while we are trying to see whether the economy, jobs situation will change???

August 1, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  4. Randy, San Francisco

Democrats should vote for the compromise, lick your wounds, and move on to the next election cycle. Pelosi need to lead the Democrats back to a majority in the House and marginalize the Tea Party hobbits.

August 1, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  5. The Other Michael in Houston

Of course not one cent from us. Getting rid of the Bush tax cuts, that we do not need, will be viewed as a tax increase (which is laughable) and we all know that the Republicans swore in blood that they would not increase any tax, even if it meant putting America back on the map as a financial super power. And on top of that, no entitlement reform (don't know why we call Medicare and Social Security and entitlement whe it is our money given back to us) which needed it desperately. So let's see here, all that posturing, speeches, mud slingling, grand standing, for what????? To get a crappy bill that addresses nothing but raising the debt ceiling and cutting out a few bridges to nowhere, heck you all could have done this last month. Democrats or horrible, Republicans are horrible, and since Tea Party members want to think they are not part of the Republican party, the Tea Party are horrible too. I say lets all get together, us rich guys, you middle income and poor individuals, sign petitions, that amends the Constitution to include 3 years term limits for all Congressmen and Congresswomen, let's sign another petition to purge Congress and the President and use this November to elect new officials who care about what the American people want. Just so that you all know, I voted for President Obama and I voted for Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson, so my politics are not left or right agenda based. Now who is with me?????

August 1, 2011 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  6. MP Pennsylvania

Where are the economists. Just cut no revenue!!!! We woudn't be in this mess if bush tax cut expired and stop giving tax relief for oil companies making billions in profits. JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

August 1, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  7. Larry L

This is America's pay-back for avoiding the polls and allowing a group of old, angry, bigoted right-wing radicals to take control of our country. It's also hard proof of the dysfunction of the US Senate, where the minority party can perpetually control the voting by filibuster. We never even saw a stand-up vote on the Democratic plan from the Senate. Is that democracy?

August 1, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  8. acura2010

Nancy Pelosi is a "WEALTHY WOMAN"! I'm sure she's happy not to pay one cent. I'm not a republican and very tired voting democrat. Particularly with the Pelosi and Reid combo who had congress in 2006 and did nothing! These two did nothing to support President Obama only but being a "drag and the thorn" in his side. No other President endured the vile and vicious attacks like President Obama. Mind you, if it wasn't for the President and Mrs Obama campaigning for Harry Reid, his behind wouldn't be back in his seat. Pelosi just bull dozed her way to be minority leader. Sick of all of them!!!!

August 1, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  9. Laverne

I agree with Pelosi, "not one red cent from the wealthiest Americans" is mind boggling when the average American did not cause this crisis. There is no justice for the "lilttle man" in America, none at all! I hear the argument that the rich create jobs, so tell me where the hell are the jobs. The wealthiest Americans are not hiring period. They see they can get by, by working the hell out of a few so there is no rush to hire anybody. I am disappointed not only that Washington has decided to say screw middle America, but I am disappointed middle America is not being more verbal, picketing, whatever it takes to have their voices heard about how things are going. I guess they feel defeated and helpless, but movements never happened in the past by sitting on the side lines. The Tea Party made their voice heard and now they are dictating the agenda in Washington. Middle America if you don't make your voice heard, well you will get NOTHING and we all know NOTHING FROM NOTHING leaving NOTHING!

August 1, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  10. S. In California - Obama 2012

@ Dorothy Inman-Johnson

I hope Democrats vote against the debt deal! I'm angry that the President and Congressional leaders have the nerve to call this a compromise. The Republicans gave up nothing, and the President and Reid caved on everything that would have made us feel there was some shared sacrifice instead of only the the poor and middle income being hurt in this "deal". Maybe if this farce is voted down, the President will get some backbone and use the 14th Amendment to raise the debt ceiling; protecting those of us without the wealth to buy Congress. The rich should be ashamed to be willing to further impoverish the poor, and the elderly just to add a little more profit to their bottom line at our expense. I voted for the President, sent regular campaign contributions, held Obama parties, worked in the local campaign headquarter, and brought my whole family to the inauguration. Today, I'm very disappointed in the way he has turned his back on us.

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAID 150%.

August 1, 2011 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. Anonymous

I am very concerned too Pelosi, but the reality is that the republicans are crying babies. They do not understand what a compromise means.

August 1, 2011 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Senior Citizen

I'm with Nancy. When we're retired and making less than $40,000 a year and pay more taxes than GE and allot of the big companies and wealthest in this country something is wrong. They keep crying that they can't create jobs if they have to pay more taxes and what I'd like to know is where are all the jobs that the Bush Tax Cuts should have created in the last 10 years!!! If they've had tax cuts all this time and we have less jobs than 10 years ago it shouldn't take a rocket scientest to figure out that they aren't using their tax cuts to create jobs as they claim. The Republican's make me sick to my stomach and I hope that we are smart enough to vote them all out of office next election if we are not so broke we can't make it to the polls!!! I hope you all choke on your tax cuts.

August 1, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. king

hey its hard to convince a people that the repugs already convinced that higher taxes would cost jobs. this is a fact that havent been proven throughout american history. every time the country was doing great there was always high taxes. now all and their is no time in history that the country did well with low taxes and didnt have an enormouse budget deficit. the people need to stop lessoning to these repugs and their voodoo economics and start taxing every body to pay for the massive infrastructure and transportation system including NASA. and stop allowing the repugs to hold this country progress hostage as every other country past us by.

August 1, 2011 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. Four and The Door

Hopefully she is familiar with the current tax code. The higher earnings brackets pay higher taxes already.

But all the hundreds of billions of tax dollars she was throwing around in 2009 and 2010? Buying the economy back to life didn't work, did it? What she did was put all kinds of entitlements in jeopardy. It was a large bet with large tax dollars and we all lost. Now it's time to be responsible and she cannot expect the taxpayer to bail out their poor decisions. The out of control spending has to stop.

August 1, 2011 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  15. Carol

I'm with you Nancy.
    This whole sideshow tells the nation one thing. From now on the working of our government will be hostage negotiations. That's what the radical right did, held this nation's well being hostage for their agenda. They will be gone November 2012 if the American people want to save the middle class.

August 1, 2011 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  16. ConservaFASCISTS/Dutch, Bad Newz, VA

I don't see anyhting "fair & balanced." We've been told that this bill is bipartisan. Then what did we (democrats) get in return for this strictly "cuts" bill? The fascists republican regime are going to lead us to financial ruin if they keep protecting the wealthy and corporations from paying their fair share.

August 1, 2011 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  17. Realitychecker

Once again the working class or should I say the working poor has been sold out in Washington. Thanks! I greatly appreciate working two jobs to try and clothe, feed and house my family not to mention trying to fund the college education of my three kids. Anyone that votes to support this has lost my vote. You suck!

August 1, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  18. Anthony

She is wrong. Wealthiest Americans will have to pay. They will find out the Bush tax cuts will not be renewed after 2012, because Democrats will refuse to negotiate on their extension. See, the Republican strategy of no compromise can work for Democrats too.

August 1, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Andrew

Dear Mrs. Pelosi,
    if you properly read the bill, you would find that the bill creates a bipartisan committee that deals with the hard spending cuts such as the military, welfare, entitlements, and tax breaks. The allocation of the spending cuts and tax increases have yet to be negotiated.

This isn't a particularly good proposal, but at least it stalls for time and partially separates the debt ceiling from the budget. Congress can raise the debt ceiling now, and this committee can have another 6 months to negotiate the necessary budget cuts.

August 1, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  20. teena

so, we should campaign against all of those 60 teabag house republicans and then put forth legislation which taxes the wealthiest at pre-bush rates, closes the loopholes for corporations, and discontinues subsidies for oil companies!

August 1, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  21. maikl

You rich mrs. Pelosi and Obama too. Why don't you just send money to IRS.

August 1, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  22. guest

at least someone is still looking out for the working people. id rather let the country default than keep giving the rich and corporations a free pass and their own welfare plans

August 1, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. jon

The wealthy skate by again. They now have the lowest tax rate in history. Must be nice. They always have the Repubs to thank for that. I pay over $20,000 a year in Federal Tax on a salary under $100K. I would say I pay my share.

August 1, 2011 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

I agree with Pelosi. The wealthy aren't paying enough to help out the country. They have received most of the tax breaks. I wish I understood why the GOP say that tax cuts lead to job growth and raising of taxes lead to job losses. It doesn't from what I can tell. The loopholes might direct companies where to invest, but not really hiring or firing.

I'd be fine with the federal government taking in less from the wealthy if they bothered to do several things: have their companies keep manufacturing jobs here in the US; fund social welfare organizations that do a better job than the federal government; do something to help those that aren't up there among the wealthy - build better infrastruction for small towns for free and things like that.

August 1, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  25. ABM

This is what happensIwhen folks vote for the (R) in the voting booth or decide to sit out an election. I want to express my thanks to those who voted these jokers into office or did not participate in the last election.

FIRE the TEA Party and GOP obstructionists.

August 1, 2011 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |