Fox News hosts: Palin 'pulled punches' admission a 'joke'
August 4th, 2011

Fox News hosts: Palin 'pulled punches' admission a 'joke'

(CNN) - Two Fox News Channel hosts said Thursday they were joking when they previously claimed they felt awkward about commenting on former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because she's a fellow Fox employee.

"The only problem with talking about Sarah Palin is that she works here, and it's like a co-worker," said Greg Gutfeld, co-host of "The Five," the network's show on Wednesday. "And if I say something bad and I see her in the hallway, I feel really awkward and wrong, so I just kind of say, 'good job'."

Co-host Bob Beckel agreed, saying he'd also held back his criticism of Palin, a Fox News contributor who makes more than $1 million per year from the network. Palin is flirting with a run for president in 2012.

"It has nothing to do with that, it has everything to do with your paycheck. That's what you feel awkward about," Beckel said. "I know exactly what you mean. I'll be honest: I've pulled my punches on her."

After the comments spread on the internet, the hosts during Thursday's show replayed the remarks and clarified that they were joking. Republican panelist Dana Perino referred to the segment as a "mea culpa."

"So you make one joke and left-wing sites… go crazy because they're so desperate for any kind of Palin anecdote–that's like their heroin," said Gutfeld.

Co-host Beckel, a Democrat, touted his record of criticizing Palin on Fox in the past and said Wednesday's comments were a way to break up some of the tediousness on the show. "We were joking," he said.

"Everybody happy now? Good," Beckel said as their comments came to a close.

Beckel is a long-time Democratic operative and commentator while Gutfeld is a conservative television host. The two are among a cast of rotating hosts on the Fox show that bills itself as a discussion and debate of the day's top stories.

The original Wednesday exchange followed a playback of Palin's comments Tuesday night over reports that Vice President Joe Biden had likened tea party activists to terrorists.

In Palin's response, she said President Barack Obama should look into his own past with Bill Ayers if he wants to see "domestic terrorists."

Filed under: Fox News • Sarah Palin
  1. wishing

"The exchange followed a playback of Palin's comments Tuesday night over reports that Vice President Joe Biden had likened tea party activists to terrorists."

So, they won't be honest is their questioning of Ms Palin. In addition, subsequent reporting by real news media indicated that the report on which she based her silly comment, apparently never happened. Somehow, their admitting this makes them 'Fair and Balanced'?

August 4, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Shannon

Wow, this would be a story if anyone was surprised by the news. This moronic, selfish woman doesn't have a clue about anything, of course they had to give her a pass,to try to make her look less stupid. Although their audience is so ignorant, I doubt any of them noticed.

August 4, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  3. Pathfinder

Further substantiates the blatant hypocrisy that is "FOX News" – sever the relationship and move on.

August 4, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. standingwave

Given that Fox is the only "news" organization that's been to court to sue for the right to distort news I really don't care what they do with Palin.

August 4, 2011 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  5. Holly

Wow you really have to admire those hard hitting journalists at Fox. If I said what I really think, it might hurt Palin's feelings and that would make it kind of akward when I pass her in the hallway. Besides, my bosses really like her, so I might get fired. Just the sort of "Fair and Balanced" reporting we've all come to expect.

August 4, 2011 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. Christopher Caldwell

You mean Fox is admitting publicly they are biased? What a shocker!

August 4, 2011 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  7. JonDie

Fox = Murdoch = Palin

August 4, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  8. Squealy

A joke? Yeah, right. How is that a joke? Reading it, there is no attempt to inject humor that I can see. They are just trying to cover their butts if you ask me.

August 4, 2011 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  9. roscoe

I guess they found out they could still be employed if they were joking.....or canned if they were serious.

August 4, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  10. Former Republican, now an Independent

Fox News Hosts have no opinion, except what Rupert Murdoch tells them is their opinion. They are just a bunch of overpaid journalists posing as news reporters.

August 4, 2011 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. RS

.Palin went from being an unknown Eskimo to racking in at least one million a year from a major TV network and countless millions from other venues. Love her or dream about hitting her in the head with a bat she is not stupid....And no way is she stupid enough to waste money on running for the presidency. I finally took 5 minutes to listen to her and found her to be quite entertaining. Not in a serious way but a 'Wow! ! What did she say! kind of way. I'm hoping that after she squeezes fox and the others out of enough money she'll become a victoria's secret model

August 4, 2011 07:04 pm at 7:04 pm |
  12. CaliMafia

So, who is Sarah Palin and why do we care?????????????????????

August 4, 2011 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  13. CaliMafia

Oh, I'm in heaven. Four in limbo, and probably five with this. I can't stand the suspense.

August 4, 2011 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  14. GI Joe

Uh Oh – She must have painted her crosshais on them. Boy, are they in trouble.

August 4, 2011 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  15. bill

I hear the DOW lost 500 points today.

August 4, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  16. GI Joe

Market tanks after Obama said it would not
    ------------
    FACTCHECK: No, he did NOT say that. In fact all economists said weeks ago it was too late - the hurt has been done by waiting too long to appease the Teaterrorists.

August 4, 2011 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  17. Pat in IL

Awaaakward. Really weird "joke".

August 4, 2011 07:28 pm at 7:28 pm |
  18. edpeters

If I worked at FOX, I'd be concerned about the Alaskan DingBat coming after me...

August 4, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  19. judith

Have you ever noticed if you put lots of make-up and a wig on Palin that they could be identical twins. They both have that inane, stupid grin as well. Becoming a Faux prostitute was another easy gig for Palin, as she has shown she couldn't stand the work involved in a real job and quit on the people of Alaska. Meanwhile, nut-case Bachmann has stolen all her political thunder. Poor, poor pitiful Palin.

August 4, 2011 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  20. judith

Correction: I meant to mention that if you put make-up and a wig on Eric Cantor, he and Palin could be identical twins. This woman is not aging at all well.

August 4, 2011 07:35 pm at 7:35 pm |
  21. MiddleOfTheRoad

Apparently someone higher up in Fox told them they were joking. They must not have known that when they made their statements.

Fox News has to dump Palin. They have little crediblilty the way it is.

August 4, 2011 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  22. Nodack

A million dollars to talk crap about Democrats as a part time job. I'll say whatever you want about them too for $1,000,000 a year.

August 4, 2011 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  23. malabar

keep posting comments on every Palin article you see. every time you click or write, you are voting to keep her in the public eye. Sarah Palin has revealed the uncontrollable rage in liberals. she has never said or done anything worse than any other politician. alaske survived her governorship. baseless ethics charges, rape jokes, and attacks on her downe syndrome child have actually made the truth about liberals come out into the light. please, continue to comment. your false belief that everyone is obsessed with her like you are, and hates her as much as you do, only serves to either endear people to her or embarrass democrats and liberals that actually have substantive things to talk about and see her for the distraction that she is. but like i said, please, carry on. get it all out. give in to her over and over and over . . . . she wouldn't be where she is today without you. you, as much as her supporters, are money in her bank. dunces.

August 4, 2011 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  24. works4me

Please tell me just why speaking and telling the truth leaves such an awful taste in our American mouths lately...

August 4, 2011 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  25. joe800

...remember, Fox is owned by a foreigner not an American therefore, watching Fox is un-american...

August 4, 2011 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |