Fox News hosts: Palin 'pulled punches' admission a 'joke'
August 4th, 2011

Fox News hosts: Palin 'pulled punches' admission a 'joke'

(CNN) - Two Fox News Channel hosts said Thursday they were joking when they previously claimed they felt awkward about commenting on former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin because she's a fellow Fox employee.

"The only problem with talking about Sarah Palin is that she works here, and it's like a co-worker," said Greg Gutfeld, co-host of "The Five," the network's show on Wednesday. "And if I say something bad and I see her in the hallway, I feel really awkward and wrong, so I just kind of say, 'good job'."

Co-host Bob Beckel agreed, saying he'd also held back his criticism of Palin, a Fox News contributor who makes more than $1 million per year from the network. Palin is flirting with a run for president in 2012.

"It has nothing to do with that, it has everything to do with your paycheck. That's what you feel awkward about," Beckel said. "I know exactly what you mean. I'll be honest: I've pulled my punches on her."

After the comments spread on the internet, the hosts during Thursday's show replayed the remarks and clarified that they were joking. Republican panelist Dana Perino referred to the segment as a "mea culpa."

"So you make one joke and left-wing sites… go crazy because they're so desperate for any kind of Palin anecdote–that's like their heroin," said Gutfeld.

Co-host Beckel, a Democrat, touted his record of criticizing Palin on Fox in the past and said Wednesday's comments were a way to break up some of the tediousness on the show. "We were joking," he said.

"Everybody happy now? Good," Beckel said as their comments came to a close.

Beckel is a long-time Democratic operative and commentator while Gutfeld is a conservative television host. The two are among a cast of rotating hosts on the Fox show that bills itself as a discussion and debate of the day's top stories.

The original Wednesday exchange followed a playback of Palin's comments Tuesday night over reports that Vice President Joe Biden had likened tea party activists to terrorists.

In Palin's response, she said President Barack Obama should look into his own past with Bill Ayers if he wants to see "domestic terrorists."

Filed under: Fox News • Sarah Palin
  1. Martin

Joking? My guess is that TPTB had a word with these two and tried to figure out how to retract their statements with the least egg on their faces.

Of course, as Bill O'Reilly likes to say, "We have some shows that are news shows, some that are opinion shows, and I like to think our viewers are smart enough to tell the difference".

Apparently not, Bill.

August 4, 2011 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  2. CBR

Just another way to get Sarah Palin in the news. I do not watch Fox and I do not need to hear about their issues.
    '
    Good grief! There are so many more important stories in the world that we should be reporting.

The famine in Somalia would be a good place to start.

August 4, 2011 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  3. Fox keeps em stupid

No problem identifing the suck ups who follow fox and post here. They actually think fox presents news?? LOL!!!
    At least Jon Stewart is honest.
    Stop the dumb & dumber claim that "because (all the idiots) 27% of the American public watch only fox it proves its the best TV show". You'd be right if all you care about is where idiots watch TV.
    Funny how these same mental midgets claim Corporate News Network (CNN) is leftist when they are just as weak as fox, but not near as balatantly biased to their corporate masters.

August 4, 2011 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  4. Steven

Who expected objective news from Fox anyways? It was better three decades ago, when Walter Cronkite, you could believe you would get unbiased information ... prior to news casters saying what their bosses want. You can not longer trust news casters.

August 4, 2011 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  5. Grow up already...

I guess the sow grizzly needs her food chewed for her, huh? Hardly a surprise....

August 4, 2011 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. Don

I look to Fox News for objective news reporting like I look to Magic Johnson for tips on how not to get aids

August 4, 2011 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  7. Kent Bowen

Yeah, well, the big surprise is that these dummies didn't realize who pays their bills - Palin...

August 4, 2011 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  8. Chris

Dont worry Sarah, Americans will never forget your "crosshairs" comment. And neither will Gabby.

August 4, 2011 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  9. Kent Bowen

I just read "Brendan's" comments...they might not be journalists, but they aren't stand-up comics, not that the masses know the difference. They said what they said, they weren't misquoted, the "were kidding." Right.

August 4, 2011 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. Shistar

...I think everybody knows palin is an idiot. Put her and the rest of the politicians up against ordinary people. And they will find out really quick how unhappy the Real People are.

August 4, 2011 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  11. Charlie in Maine

Well "Brendan", maybe the writer was not "intending to be factually accurare" like that loser Republican blowhard what's his name.
    Just sayin' is all.

August 4, 2011 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  12. Peter s

Instead of this bimbo news! this is what we would like to see coming from the fox news " Murdoch reporters’ bribes to British cops violates U.S. law."!! thats right!!! call it whatever you want but murdoch should pay for his companies un-ethical ways of doing business!!! how comes the Republican presidential hopefuls most of them have worked or are working for fox news ?. Fox aka news is nothing but a political conservatism breeding ground. If Murdoch was a Democrat they could have pushed this issue to another level.

August 4, 2011 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  13. Brando

Haven't heard as much from her lately. Hope that trend continues.

August 4, 2011 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  14. ThinkAgain

"After the comments spread on the internet, the hosts during Thursday's show replayed the remarks and clarified that they were joking."

Usually, when someone is joking, they end what they're saying with, "I'm just joking" or "I'm just kidding, I don't mean that."

It's not suddenly a joke only after the initial comment gets spread around the Internet ... these guys really are scared of silly sarah ...

August 4, 2011 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. Mr. Ected

I guess the only thing worse than the lamestream media is the emasculated media.

August 4, 2011 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  16. Geoffrey Feldman

I think it was the truth and Rupert Murdock made the phone call. They saved their own butts in a dictatorial environment of Faux news. That's what they did. If it was a joke, it wasn't funny and it was so close to the truth that it is entirely reasonable to think they were actually, for once in their careers at Fox, speaking the truth.

August 4, 2011 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  17. Aaron

Of course they're joking after getting phone calls from Rupert Murdoch and the billionaire Koch brothers. Doesn't matter anyway...Fox reporters are just propaganda artists, not journalists by any stretch of the imagination.

August 4, 2011 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  18. Paul

Heck, shoot! Did NOT see that coming. Why don't the other networks just refer to her as "idiot and media whore"? Are they also scared of running into her at church or the gun range?

August 4, 2011 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  19. Kevin

Oh please, Brendan. We all know the shtick. Two commentators make a baseless claim. Then the news programs cover *the question asked by the commentator,* as if a commentator saying it makes it newsworthy.

August 4, 2011 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  20. Steffany

Sarah Palin = Domestic Terrorist and Head Hobbit

August 5, 2011 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. laurence

How much longer does this nation have to be subject to such ignorance qnd vile? Wben will it end?

August 5, 2011 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  22. 66Biker

The only thing I could ever vote for Sarah Palin for is Village Idiot. But like George W. Bush, she's won that title for life and there's no need for a vote...

August 5, 2011 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  23. Sean Hannity

Just another example of that out of control liberal media!! hang on, where am I exactly?

August 5, 2011 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  24. Monty

Greg Gutfeld is a mor0n. Not only is the guy a mental midget, he also has one of the most annoying laugh, and voice on TV. And what's up with that deep crease between his eyes and above the bridge of his nose? I know he tries to hide it by wearing that silly glasses sometimes but geezes.

I'm a plastic surgeon and I can fix that in 10 minutes. I'd do it for free to just to get that ugly face off the screen.

August 5, 2011 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  25. StephensB

Fox ........ Palin ..........bwahahaha ........ both soon to be irrelevant , probably when the dems overwhelmingly kick their collective rear ends in Nov. , 2012 . But as for entertainment ....... almost as good as The Three Stooges !!!! Wait a minute .... throw Bachman in there and I'll be darned , there ya go !!!!!! NYUK NYUK NYUK !!!!!!

August 5, 2011 12:46 am at 12:46 am |