Capitol Hill (CNN) – How does the jobs picture look for the U.S.? Friday's government report shows slight improvement for Americans who have jobs now, but that things have gotten worse for those who are looking for work. And a lot worse for female veterans. Read our one-page American Sauce cheat sheet on where the country stands with jobs.
*all information from the Labor Department
– Read the report here.
-Jobs: The U.S. added 117,000 jobs in July. That's more than expected, but not enough jobs to keep up with population growth.
-Rate: Unemployment is now at 9.1%, a drop from 9.2% in June.
-Number of Unemployed: Stands at 13.9 million officially. Some argue this undercounts those who have stopped looking for work.
-Avg. Length of Unemployment: Grew to 40.4 weeks in July. That is a record since Labor started tracking this information in the mid-20th century. It had been 39.9 weeks in June.
- Health Care: Added 31,000 jobs.
– Retail: Added 26,000 jobs.
– Manufacturing: Added 24,000 jobs. Nearly all of that in durable, or long-term, goods.
- Female Veterans: The unemployment rate for female veterans has soared in the last year, from 5.8% in July 2010 to 10.3% in July 2011.
- Iraq/Afghanistan Vets: Recent war vets saw unemployment drop in July, to 12.4% from 13.3%, but their jobless rate remains well above average.
– Long-term Unemployed: The average length of unemployment increased to a record 40.4 weeks. So it is taking about ten months on average to find a job. The number of people considered "long-term unemployed", meaning out of work 27 weeks or longer, has not changed much. It dipped slightly in July, from 6.29 million to 6.18 million.
– Government Workers: Federal, state and local governments lost 37,000 jobs in July. But that includes 23,000 jobs frozen in the Minnesota government's partial shutdown.
- Payrolls: Hourly wages increased by 10 cents on average in July, to $23.12 per hour.
– Workweek: The average time worked stayed the same, at 34.3 hours a week.
– Follow Lisa Desjardins on Twitter: @LisaDCNN
I'm surprised that the right wing isn't claiming credit for the month to month improvement like they did at the start of the year. Back in March, they owned the monthly jobs reports. "See? America knows that we are back." Yup, America knows they are back alright.
It is the time for close the gates for non-immigrants, and illegal dudes....o.k, Put strictures and tough on citizenship....they take social security and cheating....o.k, wake up....America, revolt....
Legitimate debate could help this Nation find solutions to the economic crisis and actually act on them to help vets get jobs. Unfortunately, the media, which everyone understand plays an essential role in all Democracies is failing America at this time.
Fox provides a one sided, distorted view of the world. To justify, why Fox’s view is skewed with the rest of the news media, they tell their followers that the other guys are bias. Legitimate new media needs to stop try to prove they are not bias and just try to do respectable journalism.
Media must stop giving a megaphone to idiots and proven liars allowing lies and faulty policies to go unchallenged. This back and forth between a reasonable commentator and loud mouth idiot simply obscures the issues and confuses a public that already suffers from information over load and general ignorance of history and economics.
Umm. you're missing the figure that 193K are out of work now by leaving the job market or laid off
Hey folks, sorry about the jobs but, all that money went to corrupt union bosses as paybacks for electing Obozo and the libertards and the overegulation and coninued push for ilegal unionization of all work has paralyzed this country. Remember the recession started in January of 2007 when the libertards took control of Congress and raised the minimum wage in spite of all of the warnings that this would happen. After that they continue to plunder the economy for the benefit of the corrupt unions and their oxygen thief supporters and end stole the election for the Kenyan village idiot.
Here it comes – the tea-baggers spout the ridiculous nonsense they've been fed by fox & fiends then expect the rest of us to “believe” too. No thanks; we'd still rather think for ourselves. You keep parroting the dribble about what you’ve been told about what our government is and who should do what.
We'd rather follow America's first liberals "the Founding Fathers" who risked everything to change everything. They fought "the man" and the weak brained traditionalists who were too afraid to think for themselves and move forward – just like the Repubs/torries of today.
AND it doesn't help when companies are not even considering anyone who is unemployed. I think CNN and ALL the news agencies need to jump all over this problem and shed some bright lights on those companies that are using these practices.