Roseanne sets sights on White House
August 5th, 2011

Roseanne sets sights on White House

(CNN) – Roseanne Barr for president in 2012?

The comedian made her official presidential announcement that was clearly part publicity stunt and part political farce on "The Tonight Show" Thursday night, drawing inspiration from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"That's kind of what got me to thinking that I too should run for president if she can," Barr told host Jay Leno. "I wanted to edge her out because I feel like she's stealing my act anyway."

Barr said Palin, who is flirting with a White House bid, was also her motivation for appearing in a reality show. Her Lifetime show "Roseanne's Nuts," premiered a few weeks ago and follows the former sitcom star running a Hawaiian nut farm.

Barr, a former supporter of President Barack Obama, claimed she is "totally serious" about a bid and said she will run as a candidate from the Green Tea Party. No taxes, the forgiveness of student loans and all debts and the use of vegetables instead of money will be the cornerstones of her campaign, she said.

"I definitely want to be in the debates and if I'm not accepted in the debates then I'm just going to photoshop myself in anyway," Barr said. "All you have to do I figure to be president is show up and give a speech. And I'm really good at speeches."

As for the vetting process, Barr said there's no need because "everybody knows everything about me."

Filed under: 2012
  1. yolanda

She is obviously over-qualified.

August 5, 2011 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  2. Erik

If it came down to a race between her and Palin, I'd have to vote for her.

Of course, if it came down to a race between a small pebble and Sarah Palin, I'd have to vote for the pebble.

August 5, 2011 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  3. Jay

I think I would almost rather vote for her than the actual lineup! At least the voter would know she was Krazy (with a K) and she would know that she is Krazy (with a K) and for once we would hear what the President truly was thinking – complete without spin and complete without filtering and there would be no saying what they want to hear BS! She is also smarter than Palin & Bachman put together! Run Rosanne Run Rosanne!

August 5, 2011 10:04 am at 10:04 am |
  4. Indy

If Palin is qualified the Roseanne is just as qualified, they are both reality TV personalities, have wayward kids, make money off of people laughing at them. Roseanne tends to tell the truth so since Palin is a professional liar, I have to give Palin a one up there but for the most part they are two of a kind.

August 5, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. Marie MD

Barr has demonstrated that any fool can join the list of endless rethug candidates.green tea party!
    We do know more about her than the mccain campaign did about the dangerous imbecilic moron from AK.

August 5, 2011 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  6. J

Go Roseanne!

August 5, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  7. Fair is Fair

The only good thing coming out of this is that she won't be donating to the Obama campaign.

August 5, 2011 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  8. SA in OO

As a candidate for a national office Roseanne Barr would be as ridiculous as . . .
    Well as Sharron Angel, Christine O'Donnell, Jan Branch, Michelle Bachmann, and did I forget Sarah Palin?

But at least Roseanne is honest in her insincerity !

August 5, 2011 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  9. The Choobs

She's about as qualified as at least half the Republican field...isn't he "bar" quite low these days?

August 5, 2011 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  10. Rudy NYC

She actualy has more original ideas the entire current Republican field. And her ideas are a joke. So what does that say about the current Republican field?

August 5, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  11. Bill

I thought it was impossible that someone more annoying than Palin or Bachmann could come on the scene. I was wrong.

August 5, 2011 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  12. C-Lo

Sounds like she's one of the first national names to admit buyer's remorse over Kenyon Ken. Serious about her run or not, she's making a statement she doesn't like what he's done so far.

August 5, 2011 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  13. A. Goodwin

LOL – Well, she's got most of the GOP beat as the the whole group acts like a bunch of stand-up comedians!

August 5, 2011 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  14. Randy, San Francisco

Barr's run for the White House is funny....Palin's is scary.

August 5, 2011 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  15. T'sah from Virginia

LMAO – Rosanne is very funny and like TRUMPet – she might as well join the band wagon. As a matter of fact, she would get my vote over TRUMPet and every other candidate running on the RIGHT – But that would only happen if President Obama does not run and he is running....!!! Sorry Rosanne!!

August 5, 2011 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  16. are you kidding me

what is wrong with her? glad its a joke. and not a very good one on top of that. Sit down Roseanne, People are thinking your crazier then Charlie

August 5, 2011 10:30 am at 10:30 am |
  17. roscoe

She even looks like Palin with those glasses.

August 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  18. Bill in VA

She is crude and obnoxious.....and darned funny still. Green Tea PArty. LOVE IT! But unfortunately for all of us she is all to correct on one point, at least in the last presidential election. "All you have to do .... to be president is show up and give a speech". Obama is really good at speeches too and that is all he he did was show up with no substantive experience or any clue what it takes to make this great country excel. I never thought I would be happy to say my president never accomplished anything but if Obama had done nothing we probably would be on the road to recovery now.

August 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  19. Three Dog Mama

Who is their right mind would vote for her? Then again, maybe she is the best candidate for the job.

August 5, 2011 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  20. Honestuck

We can thank John McCain for this. Now every clown wants to run for President, even the intelligent funny ones. My apologies to the intelligent funny clowns for putting Palin in the Clown category. She is just a pathetic clown not funny.

August 5, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  21. Eye of Newt

Its great to see her make a fool of Palin!

August 5, 2011 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  22. zip

Just as credible as Palin, Bachmann, Trump, Santorum, Gingrich, Guiliani. None really running for anything. Just using politics as a chance for more private cash and fame. Roseanne's an idiot. Unlike the others, she knows it.

August 5, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. OtakuAnthony

Probably be better than Palin running things.

August 5, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  24. Dawn

I'd vote for her before I'd vote for anyone else on the Republican ticket...

August 5, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  25. deb0155

Roseanne Barr is just as bad as Sarah Palin! They make a mockery out of women, and they are both egocentric, self-serving opportunists. We should all just look the other way when it comes to Roseanne Barr and Sarah Palin.

August 5, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |