Roseanne sets sights on White House
August 5th, 2011

Roseanne sets sights on White House

(CNN) – Roseanne Barr for president in 2012?

The comedian made her official presidential announcement that was clearly part publicity stunt and part political farce on "The Tonight Show" Thursday night, drawing inspiration from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"That's kind of what got me to thinking that I too should run for president if she can," Barr told host Jay Leno. "I wanted to edge her out because I feel like she's stealing my act anyway."

Barr said Palin, who is flirting with a White House bid, was also her motivation for appearing in a reality show. Her Lifetime show "Roseanne's Nuts," premiered a few weeks ago and follows the former sitcom star running a Hawaiian nut farm.

Barr, a former supporter of President Barack Obama, claimed she is "totally serious" about a bid and said she will run as a candidate from the Green Tea Party. No taxes, the forgiveness of student loans and all debts and the use of vegetables instead of money will be the cornerstones of her campaign, she said.

"I definitely want to be in the debates and if I'm not accepted in the debates then I'm just going to photoshop myself in anyway," Barr said. "All you have to do I figure to be president is show up and give a speech. And I'm really good at speeches."

As for the vetting process, Barr said there's no need because "everybody knows everything about me."

Filed under: 2012
  1. Keith in SoJax

Roseanne will take the place of the guy from the "The Rent is too Damn High Party". At least her one liners will be funny...most of the time.

August 5, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I wish she would run for the house or Senate instead.

August 5, 2011 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  3. Anonymous

She couldn't be any worse than the other options.

August 5, 2011 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  4. George Guadiane - Austerlitz, NY

I can't imagine that I would vote for her in 2012, but if she were to run against the current Republican field in 2016 she could win in a landslide.

Not sure about the produce as money thing – Government couldn't stop us from creating our own money trees then.

August 5, 2011 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  5. Kyle

Roseanne Barr: One of the worst products in American history...

August 5, 2011 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  6. logic in LA

She would be better than Palin as a choice

August 5, 2011 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  7. ncmyk

she would make a terrible president – however, she'd fit right in with all the nuts that make up the house of representatives.

August 5, 2011 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  8. Toronto Girl

Too funny! Can't wait to see your new show:) you looking good Roseanne!

August 5, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  9. Ed Texas

If she was a GOP candidate she'd be the best choice. She's honest and not a "flip-flopper", something most of the current crop of candidates can't claim..

August 5, 2011 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  10. Mark

I'd vote for her. She's obviously miles above the rest of the characters we currently have in Congress. If she handles Congress like she handled the kids on her now defunct sitcom, we'd have no problems whatsoever.

August 5, 2011 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  11. BDub

This is her best joke ever.

August 5, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. blf83

We don't need another actor/entertainer in office. Just remember Reagan, Ventura, Thompson, and of course, appalling Sarah.

August 5, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  13. wmontanye

I'd vote for her over Palin anyday......

August 5, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  14. joey fabulous

Go, Roseanne, go.

August 5, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. BobZemko

Better still: Let's make Roseanne the ambassador to the Bermuda Triangle.

August 5, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  16. Mike

LOL. I would vote for her over Palin or Bachmann.

August 5, 2011 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  17. Mach

I have not forgotten the disrespect shown when she sang the Star Spangled Banner. I would sooner vote for Jeb Bush or Hillary Clinton!

August 5, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. JohnM

She's just as qualified as silly sarah walking bacwards upside down.

August 5, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  19. Charlie in Maine

Better than anything the GOP has come up with yet.

August 5, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. DrJStrangepork

I would have voted for McCain if Roseanne was his running mate instead of Palin.

August 5, 2011 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. John

At least Roseanne has some brainpower!

August 5, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. Vigla

A former Obama supporter? Why, because she's running for President? LOL $100 says she still supports him.

August 5, 2011 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  23. e.j. in tacoma

I can not believe idiots like these making a joke of the office of President. What a field of political possibilities Michelle Bachman- anti gay-anti Government, Sarah Palin- half term Governor , Herman Cain-Pizza CEO, and now Roseanne Barr comedian without a cause (She must be ailing in the polls since the cancellation of her sit com)! Maybe I should run then they could waste more time debating my origin of birth! Get real people!!!
    E.J. Mohammed

August 5, 2011 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  24. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Well, it won't be the first time that someone famous decided to run for no other reason than they could. If she meets the Constitutional requirements, I don't see why she can't. Winning the presidency, that is another story and one that wouldn't give her a happy ending.

August 5, 2011 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  25. lkt

Why not? It might be refreshing to have a known comic in the White House.

August 5, 2011 11:45 am at 11:45 am |