Roseanne sets sights on White House
August 5th, 2011

Roseanne sets sights on White House

(CNN) – Roseanne Barr for president in 2012?

The comedian made her official presidential announcement that was clearly part publicity stunt and part political farce on "The Tonight Show" Thursday night, drawing inspiration from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"That's kind of what got me to thinking that I too should run for president if she can," Barr told host Jay Leno. "I wanted to edge her out because I feel like she's stealing my act anyway."

Barr said Palin, who is flirting with a White House bid, was also her motivation for appearing in a reality show. Her Lifetime show "Roseanne's Nuts," premiered a few weeks ago and follows the former sitcom star running a Hawaiian nut farm.

Barr, a former supporter of President Barack Obama, claimed she is "totally serious" about a bid and said she will run as a candidate from the Green Tea Party. No taxes, the forgiveness of student loans and all debts and the use of vegetables instead of money will be the cornerstones of her campaign, she said.

"I definitely want to be in the debates and if I'm not accepted in the debates then I'm just going to photoshop myself in anyway," Barr said. "All you have to do I figure to be president is show up and give a speech. And I'm really good at speeches."

As for the vetting process, Barr said there's no need because "everybody knows everything about me."

Filed under: 2012
  1. jojo

I always found Rosane pretty funny - she is really a natural when it comes to Comedy. I hope she goes for it - she will make the campaigns a lot more fun and enoyable for all of us.

August 5, 2011 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  2. Ted

Wow..I keep reading these comment boards on CNN. 95% of the comments are from left-wing nut jobs spewing their usual hatred. I feel sorry for you people. I knew CNN has moved to the left with their reporting over the last few years, after being in the middle for 3 decades, but I had no idea it had such a nutty following.

August 5, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  3. cindy

some of these pathetic attempts at humor make Roseanne's joke ever funnier.

August 5, 2011 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  4. YesWeCan-or-CanWe

Since she is a liberial democrate, I"d vote for her. Someone needs to run againts Mr. O.BAMA.

We cannot afford 4 more years of this nonsense.

Go Rossane! 2012 is an open field. You can do it.

We do we send our conteibutions? Who's your campaign manager? Tom Arnold?

August 5, 2011 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  5. bill

If it was between her and obama, I would have to go with the Barr.

August 5, 2011 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  6. Tom

Seems like the perfect candidate for Alaska!

August 5, 2011 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  7. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

@The Day of Financial Reckoning is HERE – The Great Democrat Welfare Society Ends
    We already have a comedian in the Whitehouse. Don't want another.

August 5, 2011 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
    *********************************************************************************************************************
    ....and on the ticker we've got you for our daily chortles. :)

August 5, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  8. His Boy Elroy

Run, Roseanne, Run! I would vote for you in a second... but I expect you to change things and get rid of the politicians who suck our country and its citizens dry by not having to obey the law themselves and by granting themselves too much pay and too many benefits. Go for it!

August 5, 2011 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  9. Peggy - TX

Roseanne could easily be Left wing version of Palin, but the Left is not simply a mirror image of the Right. With a few notable exceptions, the Left does not tolerate lies, hatred and stupidity in their leadership unlike the Right that caters to dummies and plays them like the fools that are .. so Roseann’s political career will never take off. If she continues to play act at being in Politics, like Palin is doing now, then she would simply be the icon for FOX news to be used to represent liberals. As a Progressive, I find Roseanne’s views freighting and do not want her to be the face of Progressives so please Roseanne and all other really dumb loud Hollywood types.. give the Dems your money, but otherwise, please, shut-up.

August 5, 2011 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  10. coy4one

I'm surprised we don't have a candidate from the Black Tea Party, or the Sweet Tea Party, or Lipton Tea Party. As a matter of suggestion, why don't we encourage everyone in the U.S. over 35, to run for President? Last I heard there were something like 200 candidates in the Repuiblican arena already. Keep this up and all a candidate will need to get the nomination is two votes.

August 5, 2011 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  11. BD70

I like the veggies as money part. Works for me! Here are 5 tomato's for that shovel over there.

August 5, 2011 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  12. bob

Why not Rosanne for president. She would probably accomplish more than anyone in Republican GOP.

August 5, 2011 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  13. Marie MD

@c-lo – yiu are almost as funny as roseanne except she is a comedian you are just a tub of lard follower. I hear fat boy limbaugh is STILL trying to convince his audience that thebpresident was not birn in HI.
    You people are really going to have to come up with other lies about the president because all have been proven false. Speaking of, you do know that mccain was born in Panama and romneycare's grandaddy left the US to move to Chihuahua, Mexico, where his father was born, so he could marry FOUR women and over populate the Earth with 30 children?

August 5, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  14. diridi

I am her VP, my assistant is Oppi goldburg....ha!!!!!ha!!!!ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!her assistant is sarah palin, and Micheal Bachman.....o.k,

August 5, 2011 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  15. Fixer2010

The name in itself is hilarious. Quit watching FOX already.

August 5, 2011 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. GonzoG

If I HAD to choose between Rosanne, Sarah Palin, and Michelle Bachmann–after recovering from a panic induced bout of projectile vomiting–I'd chose Rosanne for President.

She couldn't do any worse.

PLEASE, GOD! DON'T FORCE THIS CHOICE ON ME! PLEASE!

August 5, 2011 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. DJ

Pardon me a moment while I clean off my screen of alll the soda that I spit out laughing

August 5, 2011 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  18. FedUp

Well, here's proof that there are crimson-necked people on both sides of the aisle. Amazing how so many people here trash Palin for being crimson-necked, but admire Roseanne, who definitely fits the description. And besides, no one who ends their 8-year-running TV show as badly as she did hers should even joke about trying to run the country.

August 5, 2011 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  19. J.Crobuzon

I think she should run for Sarah Palin. The current one's time is about up.

August 5, 2011 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  20. Dave IL

Will she be cured and released from the institution by then?

August 5, 2011 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. Oscar

Ron Paul/Roseanne Barr 2012!

August 5, 2011 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  22. Philojazz

Hey, Erik. "Small pebble"? "Dust mote" is more like it, and then the dust mote gets my vote, AFTER showing up Ms Palin at "the debates". Anyone for running a neutrino against "The Palinometer"? Okay, neutrino, you got my vote!!

August 5, 2011 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. Mike

Newt and Roseanne now there is a ticket for those looking for an alternative party. They compliment each other, they have the same goals, personalities and sense of commitment to those around them. Nah!!!! I was having a nightmare.

August 5, 2011 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  24. Jewels

Truthfully, if we were faced with the two choices, I'd be voting for Roseanne.

August 5, 2011 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. conoclast

Finally a presidential candidate with a VISION! However the 'Green-Tea Party' would need be an alternative to what? If the existing tea party is one thing, it's that they're ALL green - as in wet-behind-the-ears!

August 5, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |