Roseanne sets sights on White House
August 5th, 2011

Roseanne sets sights on White House

(CNN) – Roseanne Barr for president in 2012?

The comedian made her official presidential announcement that was clearly part publicity stunt and part political farce on "The Tonight Show" Thursday night, drawing inspiration from former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin.

"That's kind of what got me to thinking that I too should run for president if she can," Barr told host Jay Leno. "I wanted to edge her out because I feel like she's stealing my act anyway."

Barr said Palin, who is flirting with a White House bid, was also her motivation for appearing in a reality show. Her Lifetime show "Roseanne's Nuts," premiered a few weeks ago and follows the former sitcom star running a Hawaiian nut farm.

Barr, a former supporter of President Barack Obama, claimed she is "totally serious" about a bid and said she will run as a candidate from the Green Tea Party. No taxes, the forgiveness of student loans and all debts and the use of vegetables instead of money will be the cornerstones of her campaign, she said.

"I definitely want to be in the debates and if I'm not accepted in the debates then I'm just going to photoshop myself in anyway," Barr said. "All you have to do I figure to be president is show up and give a speech. And I'm really good at speeches."

As for the vetting process, Barr said there's no need because "everybody knows everything about me."

Filed under: 2012
  1. Becca

Oh Yeah now that sounds real good! I will be the 1st to vote for her. Palin is just a real 1st class Jerk . I thine Roseanne just may have a good change if she runs. I hope she does. I hope everyone remembers that Sarah Palin said she quit her last job in Alaska be cause she decided she did not want to sit in some stuffy old office behind a desk any more. ROFLMAO! She Sure would make a good president. OMG help the U.S. dear god

August 5, 2011 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  2. CaliforniaBC

Hey! Why not? Give te current crop of GOP/tea party candidates she'd fit right in. She is running republican right?

August 5, 2011 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  3. Big George in Big D

@Erik – its for people like you this country is in a crap hole! The absurdity of Rosanne for POTUS! As much as I don't care of Ms. Palin, I think she would be better than what we have in there now!

August 5, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  4. Mike

She could sing the national anthem before each congressional session.

August 5, 2011 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  5. chuck

She is definitely a better choice than Palin OR Bachmann both laughing stocks. Only qualified for late nite fodder. But..can Rosie's husband cure gays too??????

August 5, 2011 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  6. Lauren

It makes me laugh when Republicans criticize Barack Obama for the EXACT same things that we criticized Bush for during his terms. "She won't even need the telprompter and you will not see her bowing to any foreign leaders. Terriost are on notice, you don't want to mess with this lady. And best of all I hear she doesn't play golf, so she would have more time to focus on real issues like jobs, economy, debt, deficit, etc." Seriously?

August 5, 2011 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  7. herbert juarez

I would't vote for Roseanne Barr if she was running for the position of being Roseanne Barr!

August 5, 2011 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  8. tn_blackshoe

Pat Paulson in drag

August 5, 2011 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  9. toocy

@Yolanda: best comment ever!

August 5, 2011 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  10. Anonymous

You have GOT to be kidding me. Here are her academic credentials: East High School, Salt Lake City, UT (dropped out 1970)
    Jeeze!!

August 5, 2011 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  11. Anonymous

This woman doesn't even have a high school education and we're supposed to believe that she is a serious candidate??

August 5, 2011 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  12. Nacho1

I cannot imagine ANYONE voting for a puke like this woman who went so far as to make a farce out of our national anthem..............she is about as low as a person can get.........worse than Bella Abzug and that is going deep diving!

August 5, 2011 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. Steve

That she wants to forgive student loan debt is enough to solidify my vote. Go Barr!

August 5, 2011 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  14. Zander_SIG

NO WAY!!! She is a self described SOCIALISTS!!!! Socialism is a FAILURE!!!

Socialism is the doctrine that man has no right to exist for his own sake, that his life and his work do not belong to him, but belong to society, that the only justification of his existence is his service to society, and that society may dispose of him in any way it pleases for the sake of whatever it deems to be its own tribal, collective good.
    — Ayn Rand