TRENDING: Musical stylings of Huckabee and Cain
August 9th, 2011

TRENDING: Musical stylings of Huckabee and Cain

(CNN) – Call it Mike Huckabee's summer tour. The former governor of Arkansas and bass player Mike Huckabee will join businessman and gospel singer Herman Cain on stage at the Iowa straw poll in Ames to "share their musical talents with straw poll attendees," one of many gigs the part-time musician plans to play at the early 2012 presidential contest.

"I am honored to have the Governor join me on stage for this historic event," Cain said in a statement. The duo will perform together at the Friends of Herman Cain tent during festivities leading up to the matchup that tests candidate strength and organization in the first-in-the-nation caucus state.

Huckabee, a 2008 presidential hopeful and winner of the Iowa caucus, placed second in the 2007 Ames contest, a win widely credited as bringing the attention and velocity needed to propel him toward his subsequent victory in Iowa.

And though Huckabee's appearance isn't a formal endorsement of Cain, the candidate is no doubt hoping that some of Huckabee's Iowa fortune will rub off. Cain has been polling in low single digits measuring candidate support since he formally announced his presidential bid in May, but recently won the Western Conservative Summit 2011 Denver Presidential Straw Poll.

Other candidates may be hoping for the same thing. Huckabee will also play with the band The Crickets, featured at former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum's tent, and with both Sonicflood and The Nadas in former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty's tent. Michigan Rep. Thaddeus McCotter announced Wednesday that he, too, would jam with the host of "Huckabee."

CNN's Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: 2012 • Herman Cain • Iowa • Mike Huckabee • Rick Santorum • Tim Pawlenty
  1. The Greedy Old Pigs have lost their minds!

Gee, I wonder if Huckabee will make another racist comment about big hip-hop hats.

August 9, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  2. Shirley In California

I sure will miss the matchup between Huckabee and Romney. That would have been a good one. Neither of which I would vote for but a good match nonetheless. Huckabee would have exposed Romney for the flake/fake he is. Here's to hoping.

August 9, 2011 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. steven harnack

Historic? What makes it historic? We've seen way bigger groups of idiots barking at the moon before.

August 9, 2011 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  4. thomas

I bet with Huck on Bass , the rhythm section will lay down the funky bricks , so Cain can get a grove on !

Michele Bachmann / Herman Cain
    OverDive Tour 2012

August 9, 2011 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  5. bb

Oh joy, an evening of music with Mike Huckabee and Herman Cain. Umm...I believe I have that night blocked off to dye and perm my great-aunt's hair before Tiki night at the home. Just can't miss that...

August 9, 2011 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. Independent Texan

Pathetic--– One`s an evangelist; the other unelectable. Hell, I have as good a shot as anyone.

August 9, 2011 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  7. S.B. Stein E.B. NJ

Is this some sort of endorsement or just a gig for his band? It would nice to know for sure.

August 9, 2011 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  8. independent

I haven't agreed with much of what Pastor Huckabee has said in the past, but I always thought he was smart. When he proposed D. Trump as Sec of the Treasury, he removed that misconception.

August 9, 2011 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  9. Aaron

They should form a band together.....The Losing Lunatics would be an appropriate name.

August 10, 2011 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  10. kat

I admire Huckabee and Cain, but I don't think either can ever be elected President, They are too honest and too Christian. I too am a Christian and see our country in deep demise because we aren't allowed to show how much power God has in our country. Help us Lord, We most definately need your guidance now.

August 10, 2011 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  11. Georgia Girl

Herman Cain is an uncle tom. If they don't want a half black man (President Obama), they sure dont want a 100 percent black man even with his shuckin and jivin, coonery and bafoonery. His frat brothers and alumni at Morehouse, an elite historical black college has disowned him. He is a JOKE! And when the repbulician party finish using him like that did Micheal Stteele and Bobby Jindal aa an answer to Obama with no results, they will kick his butt to the curve also. There moto is "Give me a DARKY, any DARKY" to fight this black man who has stolen our country. What made America great and why people from other countrys want to come here is our constitution that all men are created equal. I guess that is only true unless they want to become President. Heaven forbid a Latino or a Gay person run for president. This country especially in the dirty south will explode.

August 10, 2011 01:17 am at 1:17 am |
  12. NATHAN WIMBERLY

Cain is broke. His campaign is dead.Those ten teabaggers won't help him

August 10, 2011 07:07 am at 7:07 am |