Poll: New Yorkers want same-sex marriage law to stay put
August 10th, 2011

Poll: New Yorkers want same-sex marriage law to stay put

Washington (CNN) - Just weeks into a new law that recognizes same-sex marriage in New York, a new poll finds a majority of voters in the state not only support the legislation but would resist efforts to overturn it, as well.

According to a NY1/YNN-Marist poll released Wednesday, about 55 percent of voters favor same-sex marriage in the Empire State, while 37 percent are against it.

And while opponents filed a lawsuit in late July to overturn the new law, about six in 10 voters statewide said they want to keep same-sex marriage legal.

When looking at political party affiliation, 72 percent of Democratic voters believe the law should stay in place, while Republicans are divided between 48 percent of those who want it overturned and 47 percent who think it should remain in effect.

The poll reveals age differences, as well. About 62 percent of those under the age of 45 support the law, compared to about half of New Yorkers older than 45 who said they support it.

After an intense political battle in Albany, the state's Republican-controlled senate passed the bill on June 24, making New York the sixth state to legalize same-sex marriage.

The poll was conducted over the phone July 28-31 and surveyed 600 adults living in the state of New York, with a sampling error of plus or minus four percentage points.

–CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

Filed under: Gay rights • New York • Poll
  1. Larry L

New Yorkers should be proud of their decision. Too many people worry about other's people's business. Good for you New York!

August 10, 2011 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  2. terry,va

There are two parts to the USA. Those that have sense are in the middle of the east and west coast.

August 10, 2011 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  3. SC Guy

If they're so confident that New Yorkers like the law, why don't they just allow the voters to ratify it? Huh, don't want to do that?! Why – because they're afraid that the voters will actually reject it.

August 10, 2011 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  4. Liz the First

I'm very proud of the people of my home state. makes me wonder if i should not have left to move to the knot of the bible noose. hope the rest of the country grows up soon and recognizes liberty and justice for all actually meals ALL, not just straight, white, christian! way to go, NY!!!!!

August 10, 2011 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  5. dd

should be legal everywhere...thank you N Y

August 10, 2011 11:15 pm at 11:15 pm |
  6. T'sah from Virginia

And it SHOULD stay – and WILL stay!

I am a Native-New Yorker and worked in Manhattan for years – It is so diverse and everyone blends in. There are no qualms there and we all celebrated EVERY occasion as ONE!! So the law is NOT going anywhere and if anyone is thinking about reversing it – they will LOSE!!!

August 11, 2011 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  7. Louis E.

I wasn't polled,but I'm a 50-year-old Democrat very much against same-sex marriage.I won't marry in this state (I'm not religious so religious ceremonies aren't an option) unless it's repealed,and I've lived here my whole life.

August 11, 2011 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  8. Steve Hansen

The notion that one couple should be denied the same rights and legal protections that another couple take for granted, is just wrong. It is good to see that more people now believe, and are willing to allow gay couples to have the same rights that they themselves enjoy.

However, it is also wrong to put human rights or equal protection up to a vote. While polls on the subject might be entertaining, they really are beside the point. Such polls only reinforce the notion that popular support has some valid relationship with the granting of human rights or equal protection.

August 11, 2011 06:10 am at 6:10 am |
  9. Ed

Looks like New York and a few other states have no moral values but then again as everywhere the minority seems to always control the majority.

I know I wasn't asked if I would approve just another CNN poll that doesn't mean a thing.

August 11, 2011 07:41 am at 7:41 am |