Romney prediction: Obama won't win Iowa in 2012
August 10th, 2011

Romney prediction: Obama won't win Iowa in 2012

Pella, Iowa (CNN) - The Republican presidential candidate who's been missing from political action recently in Iowa returned here on Wednesday with a fresh prediction: President Obama won't win Iowa in 2012.

And Mitt Romney upped the ante, proclaiming he would win the state's seven electoral votes if he becomes the Republican presidential nominee.

Romney spoke to reporters in Pella, Iowa, after speaking at a company that manufactures agricultural, environmental and industrial equipment. In the back-and-forth with business people, Romney repeated his slams against the Obama administration: decrying its "job-killing" economic policies, saying he believes officials intend to have a government-run health care system, and blasting Democrats as being beholden to special interests like public worker unions.

In his exchange with reporters, Romney mentioned the president's upcoming bus tour.

"I hope that on his bus tour he actually takes the time to get off the bus and sit down with business people...and ask them whether the policies he's put in place over the last two and a half years have helped or hurt enterprise and jobs in America," Romney said.

The candidate then donned the hat of political punditry.

"I think you'll find that on policy after policy, that if he [Obama] does that he'll learn from the American people and from business people just what I do...that the president's policies have made it more difficult for enterprises to grow and thrive at a time when the economy was in trouble. And that's why I think this president is going to have a tough re-election bid."

Romney added: "Let me make this prediction: he won't carry Iowa in November 2012."

In 2008, then-Senator Obama won Iowa, beating GOP presidential nominee Sen. John McCain by nine-points in the state. Obama, then a senator from Illinois, also won Iowa's critical caucuses in January of that year.

Meanwhile, there's a question of whether or not Romney can make good on his prediction: of winning Iowa should he become the nominee.

In the 2008 race, he actively campaigned for a win in the Iowa caucuses - but lost that contest to former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee.

Currently, Romney has not been aggressively campaigning in Iowa. Wednesday's visit is his first since May and that visit was his first of the 2012 cycle.

Other candidates - such as Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann, former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty and businessman Herman Cain - have been far more visible and vocal in and around Iowa in the hopes of winning Saturday's crucial Ames Straw Poll. That contest is seen as a barometer of a candidate's organization and popularity.

Various polls in Iowa have recently shown Romney either holding a lead above his fellow contenders or slipping behind them.

Romney was asked about his chances of winning the state, given his lengthy absences in between visits thus far.

"You'll see me plenty in Iowa," he said. "We'll be doing a lot of debates."

Romney added: "I'll be participating in the Iowa caucus process hoping to win the delegates that I'd like to have to win the nomination. And if I'm the nominee, of course I'll be aggressively campaigning – Iowa will be a swing state. I don't think the president will win it. I think I'll win it if I'm the nominee."

Some Iowans have grumbled that Romney is skipping the state thus far.

The candidate was asked if he can win their support for the caucuses, though he's isn't aggressively campaigning for their support in the Ames contest.

"Sure hope so," Romney said. "My view is that what I want to do is go out and talk to Iowans and express my views for how to get the economy going again. And I think the people of Iowa are far less concerned with the process of politics and far more concerned with the future of America."

–Follow Shannon Travis on Twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Mitt Romney • President Obama
  1. V in Chicago

Keep dreaming Mitt. Once they figure out where that million dollar contribution came from, you will be history! And, you know it.

August 10, 2011 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  2. "The GOP biggest deception is getting the Poor and Middle class to believe they are out to help them"

LOL... Romney is keeping a very low profile this time around. LOL He knows the media has gave him the shoe in to get the nod, but you can see he do not want to end up like Giuliani. We all do recall how Giuliani was built up as the greatest thing since slice bread and it TANKed!!! LOL Also, Romney is keeping it low to avoid any missteps in the Primaries that would surely come back and haunt him!! LOL!!! Little does he realize there is already enough on him to send him packing.....Obama/Democrats 2012!!

August 10, 2011 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  3. vet in texas

Romney wants to fundamentally change America, he wan't all of your daughters to wear long sleeve dresses and become sister wives and clean the house, take care of the kids, and churn butter all day. His alligence is to Joseph Smith first, a nd Brigham Young second.

Warren Jeffs is his spiritual advisor.

August 10, 2011 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  4. Proud member of "Global Zero"

I don't really think so. I live in Florida and he won't win here either.

August 10, 2011 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  5. Biggge

I say Rommey sleeps in purple underwear, see I can do the samething, just throw out useless comments.. We are in a crisis sir, we always hear about the president's policies have made it more difficult for enterprises to grow and thrive but we never hear what policies does the guy have issues with... I am tired of punchlines and all politicians.....

August 10, 2011 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  6. Shirley In California

Allow me to make another prediction: YOU won't win Iowa either "Mormon. I will say it AGAIN this guy is not even likeable. Most people detest just looking at him so they never even listen to his lies. So just how do you think he'll win Iowa and btw – are your son's serving in the military yet or are they still letting others die for the freedom and wealth they enjoy?

August 10, 2011 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  7. Citizen

Mr. Romney has sunk to a new low by making Trumpesque comments. Very sad, once thought to be a level headed moderate republican has now decided to stoop to Ms. Palin/Ms. Bachman level to garner the few votes from the rabid right. But does he stoop to conquer? I highly doubt it.

August 10, 2011 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Henry

Nobody likes Mitt. Republicans don't like him because he is Mormon (perhaps with some merit, who knows?) and because he takes no position.

August 10, 2011 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  9. LacrosseMom(real one)

OH ROMNEY, NEITHER WILL YOU! Mitt, the Christian-Conservatives will never......ever....... never........ vote for a Mormon! They are just stringing you along.

August 10, 2011 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  10. MTATL67

Mitt – Who. He will not be able to become president. Not in a climate where jobs are needed and he owns a company that puts Americans out of business. His opposition and most likely the extremist group the Tea Party would shout "Mitt Romney made his millions putting millions out of work". Just think of the slogans that people will come up with. Nope I think his chances are very low. The only qualified Republican candidate to sit in the Oval office is Scott Hartsman. That is coming from an Independent that is voting for President Obama.

August 10, 2011 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  11. The Greedy Old Pigs have declared class war on US!

It's almost like you see the puppet strings and the computer chip spewing lies from Romney's robotic mouth. The GOBPbaggers have a clear strategy to use the economic downturn that THEY CREATED to claim we need to "free up business and capital" and that will magically lead to jobs. Nevermind history, which has shown this is a proven policy failure; Romney can only spew lines from his pre-approved Kochhead talking points. The Romney zombie is running the corrupt corporatist cult program. It is their Bible. It is their truth even though it is false. Caring for the greedy and not the needy is not the basis for a political party. It is a platform for psychopaths.

August 10, 2011 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  12. Limbaugh is a liberal

Romney: Obama is terrible and must be ousted.
    Questioner: What are your plans for the country?
    Romney: I will oust Obama because his plans are terrible.
    Questioner: Okay, but what are YOUR plans?
    Romney: Um... to win the election.
    Questioner: Yes, but what are your policies after you win the election?
    Romney: Um... policies? If by policies you mean winning the election, I have policies.
    Questioner: Yes, but what about the economy? Or foreign policy?
    Romney: I will fix the economy by winning the election. And we will have a much better foreign policy once I win.
    Questioner: But how will you fix the economy? What is your specific plan to fix the economy after winning the election?
    Romney: My policy is... I will have a much better policy once I win the election.

(note: the same lines are true for any republican candidate, not just Romney)

August 10, 2011 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  13. Peter E

Considering that Romney has a much more liberal record as governor than Obama's entire political career, I am ready to support his candidacy. And of course I will snicker at conservatives who somehow think Obama is the more leftist...

August 10, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  14. once upon a horse

good news Mitt..I don't think you'll win Iowa either.

August 10, 2011 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  15. Matthew

I think guys like him are very bad people, he is very, very, very rich & acts like a Christian, If that is so than please do the right thing & save children from starving to death in Africa, forget just once about your own gains & get together with business people & the Congress & The Prez & save these precious lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 10, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  16. fayse

My prediction is that Romney will not win the nomination. The GOP has working around the clock for three years now to destroy the Presidency of Obama. They have filibustered and or obstructed any and everything that might have helped the economy to improve, The GOP and Tea Party could care less about middle class America. All they want is the power, even if they have to tank the economy to do it. God forbid, Rick Perry will probably get the nomination. If that happens, I urge all Americans to do some thorough research. Start with checking out his college transcripts and then, google Rick Perry and the Secret society of Bilderberg in Istanbul, Turkey.

August 10, 2011 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  17. Jilli

How does Mitt Romney stay vertical without a spine?

His sophomoric I know you are but what am I, Eddie Haskel style just provokes involuntary mouth vomiting.

August 10, 2011 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  18. bb

PREDICTION: Romney can't win a national election...again.

We have your track record from Massachusetts, Romney. It was pitiful!

August 10, 2011 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  19. Felix

The big fight for Romney is not the President Obama the big fight is with the Tea Party crowd and the Evangelists the ones that are waiting for Jesus to comback. Nobody that is in the right mind is going to expect that Romney a Mormon that denidied Jesus the savor is going to vote for him, this man spent over twenty million dollars from his own pocket and Mc Cain destroyed him. My feeling is that most Americans can tolerate a black or mixed race as President but I do not think Mormon are going to guide this nation, they have an ugly past and most of us look at them not as a religion they look at them as a cult!
    Ideassoul

August 10, 2011 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  20. steven harnack

So American workers are now a "special interest group" according to Romney. If the Republicans said something like, millions of American workers are no good thieves who are tearing this country down with their demands foe decent wages and safe places to work, they would be rightly castigated, but, if they say unions do the same thing some people cheer. All unions are is groups of American workers so when you complain about unions you are complaining about real people ,doing real jobs paying real taxes and raising real families. They aren't the enemy, they are us!

August 10, 2011 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  21. kyle

He went into hiding during the debt debate, but now he's back.

August 10, 2011 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  22. S.positive

Romney, God knows even if you dont that you will not be president. Do spend the money though as the country NEEDS it

August 10, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. Sniffit

"The candidate then donned the hat of political punditry."

And it was shiny, tinfoil and had a pointy top...as ever.

August 10, 2011 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  24. Sniffit

""We'll be doing a lot of debates.""

Translation: Conservative ideologues standing around in a rubber room arguing about who is the biggest right wing extremist. "I am" then "Nuh uh, I am!!!" then "No way dude, it's me!!!" followed by Rondroid and Randroid sayign something libertarian that shames them all for it's sheer craziness.

August 10, 2011 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  25. Jaywing

Mitt = Epic Fail! Come on, Mittster, you know you can't stand up to the intense scrutiny that comes with a national campaign. All your shortcomings, all the way down to your magic underwear, will be exposed for all to see. And, as you already know, it ain't pretty. So save yourself the trouble and embarassment and drop out now.

August 10, 2011 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |