Perry will announce Saturday
August 11th, 2011
03:52 PM ET
3 years ago

Perry will announce Saturday

Des Moines, Iowa (CNN) - Texas Gov. Rick Perry will announce that he is running for president on Saturday in South Carolina, a Republican familiar with the plans told CNN.

Previous reports had indicated that Perry would use a speech at the conservative RedState Gathering in Charleston to make his intentions clear, but would stop short of officially announcing a presidential bid.

But the Republican source told CNN that Perry will be in the Republican presidential race on Saturday.


Filed under: 2012 • Rick Perry
soundoff (110 Responses)
  1. Claudia, Houston, Tx

    Goodbye Texas because if this guy Perry will cut, run and sucede on the campaign trail. If the country wanted another Bush we would have asked for Jeb Bush.

    August 11, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  2. Sniffit

    What's he announcing? How he plans to deal with the billions and billions of budget deficit and education system failiure he has caused in TX? Or maybe he's announcing that yes, creating minimum wage box-store jobs to employ everyone like he did in TX, so that 99% of the nation is indentured servant peon serfs and the other 1% lives in a magical wealth fantasy land, is PRECISELY what the GOP "jobs plan" is?

    August 11, 2011 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. kendc

    Great, another religitard from Texas.

    August 11, 2011 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  4. thomas

    Fool me once shame on me , fool me twice shame on Texas !

    Rick Perry / Sarah Palin 2012
    Supported by the good folks at Enron

    August 11, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  5. Retired Army in San Antonio

    August 11, 2011 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |

    TexanforObama said:

    "Does he really think Americans will go for ANOTHER Texas Gov. for President? The man who threatened to secede. A man who is a mediocre Gov. and priorities are all tied up with his religion. This man is crazy! I know, I live in Texas."
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    Well.....I'm not gonna call Perry crazy (though he may be.....) but I will say that he is, AT BEST, a mediocre governor.

    Awwwwww.....the heck with it......the man's a lousy governor. This 'drafted' Republican candidate will be exposed soon enough for the bought and paid-for fruad that he is!!!!

    August 11, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. TexanBorn

    No need to bash Texas...if you look around the Country we are doing better than most states!!

    August 11, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  7. Dreamer96

    Karl Rove spread a lie that Bush#2 opponent was a lesbian when Bush#2 ran for Governor of Texas years ago, this was not a revelation when Rove spoke of it afew years ago, but that's politics Texas style.

    I wonder what lies Perry's campaign will come up with, he has been choosen by God to lead the American people out of the darkness and into the light?

    Out of darkness ( A Black president), and into the light ( a lighter skinned, White president), These guys are so subtle in their racist approach to politics...

    Some where Halliburton got their hands in this, and if Perry does becomes president he can change all out school books so "Intelligent Design" will rule our schools..and our government.....No more presidents from Texas Please....

    August 11, 2011 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  8. leftover

    Smoke and mirrors. An exercise by the white nationalist vanguard to mainstream their dog-whistle rhetoric and pseudo-Christian fundamentalism into the daily media. Perry will get some taxpayer provided road-trips, merrily making bank writing off everything down to the toilet paper. It will be Huntsman/Romney, the Corporate Choice, on the GOP side in 2012. Perry is there to placate the Tea Parties and give the point-and-click Progressives, and CNN, something tender to chew on now that Beck and Palin are in reruns. Perry is a fresh diversion.

    August 11, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. NVSucks

    Just in time for the end of the world, we get a Christian nut as the forerunner. $20 says he looks to an imaginary mythological figure for guidance before he presses the button. Yeah, we want this guy in charge. NO.

    August 11, 2011 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  10. once upon a horse

    as another person that lives in Texas, the only thing good about a Perry presidency would be it would FINALLY get him out of Texas....of course the bad thing is he would be POTUS. If I had the choice I would vote for GW Bush before I would vote for Rick Perry. Once he runs the book is going to be open though the the myth of Rick Perry, the great job creator in Texas will be open. Maybe that will be a good thing too.

    August 11, 2011 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
1 2 3 4 5