Senators offer debate post-mortems, one of them admittedly biased
August 12th, 2011

Senators offer debate post-mortems, one of them admittedly biased

Ames, Iowa (CNN) - After watching their party's presidential candidates go after each other, two Republican senators offered post-mortems on Thursday's GOP debate.

One senator remained largely neutral, while the other was admittedly biased towards one candidate.

"I think he did fine. I think he's always in command of the issues," Sen. Rand Paul told reporters about his father, Texas Rep. Ron Paul, following the night's event.

The senator was asked his opinion of the feisty exchanges that happened on stage, especially those between his father and former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum.

"I think that this was probably one of the feistier debates we've had so far," Paul said. "But I think debate is good for the country and the party."

But the senator did put out at least one slam of a fellow Republican.

Regarding testy exchanges between Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann and former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, Paul said: "I don't think he [Pawlenty] came out looking very good in his exchange with Bachmann to tell you the truth."

Meanwhile, Iowa Sen. Chuck Grassley displayed far more politesse in his debate post-mortem.

And on the bitter back-and-forths, Grassley said: "I believe that, since so many people have not made up their minds in [Iowa] who they're backing, I think that sort of confrontation brings attention to people that maybe wouldn't otherwise get the attention. And it's good for the whole process."

–Follow Shannon Travis on Twitter: @ShanTravisCNN

Filed under: 2012 • Chuck Grassley • GOP • Iowa • Rand Paul
  1. Bill in Florida

Bachmann, Cain, Gingrich, Paul, Pawlenty, Santorum.

Yawn ...

Nothing to see here.

August 12, 2011 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  2. huxley

I sure hope some of those whack jobs would not normally get this kind of attention. The GOP race is starting to look like an episode of Addams Family and we're all left deciding whether to vote for Cousin It or Morticia.

August 12, 2011 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  3. Marie MD

Was there a republikan clown debate last night? There's was a buzz and stink in the air all around the country and mostly in Iowa. Is that what it was? Can't wait until Saturdayto really stink it up when the most dangerous traitor ever in the history of this country arrives in her private jet, oops no, that bus of hers.

August 12, 2011 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  4. typicallll

I am tired of people giving pawlenty a thumbs down just because he challenged bachmann.... If bachmann wants to be president she should be ready to get in the dirt. This is not a scenario where you cry foul just because you are a woman.

August 12, 2011 07:12 am at 7:12 am |
  5. Clwyd

How could anyone who watched find one candidate that isn't off the wall and some kind of conservative nut case?

August 12, 2011 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  6. T'sah from Virginia

["I think they all made points on the main thing, effecting the deficit situation in Washington," Grassley said. "I think they made very clear that they know that jobs is the most important thing on people's minds."]

I don't think this is true!! The ONLY point they made that stood out as NEGATIVE to me was when ALL of them raised their hand to support the fact that they will NOT negotiate when it comes to raising TAXES!!! 10 to 1 did not move any of them in the direction of compromise and I think that is going to hurt ALL OF THEM!!!

August 12, 2011 08:15 am at 8:15 am |