Santorum: We had something to prove here
August 13th, 2011

Santorum: We had something to prove here

Ames, Iowa (CNN) – Rick Santorum is one happy guy.

The GOP presidential candidate and former senator from Pennsylvania came in fourth at the Republican straw poll in Ames, Iowa, Saturday, behind Rep. Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, Rep. Ron Paul of Texas and finishing just over 600 votes behind former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty.

“We were in range of three. I mean I felt like here’s a guy who spent a million bucks in this and we spent a fraction of that and here we are within a few hundred votes of him and I feel very, very good about that. I feel we’re positioned exactly were we want to be,” Santorum told CNN. “If you look at the top four, three of them can win the caucus. And I really feel that Ron Paul can’t win this caucus and can’t win this nomination and the other three candidates have a potential to do so. The top three tickets get punched out of Iowa, so I feel really good about that.”

On Friday, Santorum told CNN’s Candy Crowley that if he finished lower than fifth place, he would have to consider ending his bid for the White House. But he says his fourth-place finish could give him more attention by the media.

“Hopefully the media will start paying more attention to us because they sure haven’t been doing much. At future debates hopefully I’m not going to be put on the far end of the debate and be forgotten about the first hour. Maybe this will help.”

Santorum says his campaign “had something to prove here, that we had a base that were building and that we were a campaign that should be paid attention to.”

As for what’s next, he says he’s going to continue to “be the little engine that could campaign no matter what happens. We’re just going to keep plugging away.”

Filed under: 2012 • Iowa • Rick Perry
  1. J. Horne

Rick Santorum is out of his neo-con mind.
    "Ron Paul CAN'T win the caucus or the nomination!"
    "Why not, Rick?"
    "Cuz... he just can't!!"

August 13, 2011 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  2. Cynthia

He WISHES he was within a few hundred votes of RON PAUL!
    Obviously, the dumb cluck can't add. He also doesn't know history. I postively cringed when I heard his plans for our next war, Iran, Ifought, Ifloundered.
    Santorum doesn't deserve to lick Ron Paul's tennis shoes.
    Listen GOP, if you don't nominate Ron Paul, you will lose again. I guarantee it! You need disappointed dems, Green Party, Independents & more to have the numbers to get Obammy. You won't get them with anone else but Paul.

August 13, 2011 11:37 pm at 11:37 pm |
  3. John O`Neill

In 2004, Santorum endorsed Arlen Specter. The endorsement helped Specter and hurt Toomey. Enough said, I cannot vote for Rick Santorum.

August 13, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  4. PA dem for rick

Mr. Santorum was a good senator who got beaten in a wave of anti-Bush sentiment. I hope he gets a fair chance to make his case for the Presidency.

August 13, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  5. Lysander

What a sore loser..."we were in the range of 3"...not. He came in fourth and Ron Paul got about 3 times as many votes as he did. "...Ron Paul can't win..." Looks more like Santorum can't win to me. Rick Santorum is delusional and a crybaby. He's making it clear that he's not presidential.

August 13, 2011 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  6. ocmonman

You want to finish in the top 5? I mean don't set too high of a goal for yourself there buddy. No need to reach for the stars of there Santorum. BTW I like your name... wat does it mean... o nevermind.

August 13, 2011 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  7. Robert Dolan

I live in Pennsylvania and this guy is evil personified. Just look at his face and eyes when he speaks.

August 14, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  8. Anonymous

Ron Paul is the only candidate who understands the Constitution. We are not the world's police force. "Conservative" means limited government. Watch the video of Ron Paul giving Santorum a history lesson at the debate.

August 14, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  9. Dabooda

Poor Santorum. Why would anyone support this guy? Don't we have enough economically clueless warmongers running for President? Google Santorum, if you have a strong stomach and a sense of humor.

August 14, 2011 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  10. dan

no rick santorum. you cant win the caucus or the nomination or really anything, youre a nobody. Ron Paul can and will win. he always wins.

August 14, 2011 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  11. drogo, the stallion that mounts the world almost

Yep, you proved what everyone already knew...LOSER!

August 14, 2011 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  12. ObamaSham

Ahhhh Santorum. You could have been somebody. You could have been a contender. But the Iowans have spoken!

August 14, 2011 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  13. JZ

Im sorry Rick you absolutely got schooled by the honorable Dr. Paul in the debate. I am telling you, PERHAPS Ron Paul won't win the nomination, BUT it is with 100 Percent certainty that you won't even sniff the top 5 before everything is said and done.

August 14, 2011 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  14. oodoodanoo

I looked up this Santorum fellow on Google...that man should be ashamed of himself! Such filth should not be allowed in the White House!

August 14, 2011 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  15. midwestmatt

Give it up, Rick. Even Jesus finds you too sanctimonious.

August 14, 2011 12:17 am at 12:17 am |
  16. Kevin

"And I really feel that Ron Paul can’t win this caucus and can’t win this nomination "- He is kidding..right? Stupidity is all over his face !!

August 14, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  17. Mike from Philly - all my life

There is no place for Santorum in this race. He is just trying to boost his credability so that Fox maybe gives him a full time gig. Or some foundation supporting the loss of somebody's rights will hire him as their spokes person. This is not a bid for presidentcy, he's just another guy looking for an easy way to make a living.

August 14, 2011 12:33 am at 12:33 am |
  18. Devin Gray MD

Rick Santorum is one of the scariest candidates in this race. His homophobia is not just a nod to the base, it is primary and personal. He should get a sound thumping in New Jersey- hopefully that will be enough to force him out of the race.

August 14, 2011 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  19. Tzckrl

Kind of reminds me of the old Avis ad "(We're second, we try harder."); can see Santorum's slogan: "I'm 4th, I'll try pretty good, I hope."

August 14, 2011 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  20. Tonyl

Santorum is full BS. This guy is a rightwing fanatic has been. No one this far right have any chance to move forward. Straw poll and Iowa caucus is not at all important. GOP has not yet have anyone in the field that can beat Obama.

August 14, 2011 12:59 am at 12:59 am |
  21. mosinnagant

Says the fourth place guy about the second place guy.

August 14, 2011 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  22. Gary Moss

Please: Haven't the republicans done enough to destroy this country. Just remember the debt crises, the immovable object? My God how much more damage could they possibly do? I don't want to ever find out. We are willing to give up some of the social aspects that make our country the greatest on this earth, The republicans are unwilling to Accept the The taxation of the very people that have benefited the most from the sweat of the people that work every day to pay taxis that pay them the outrageous benefits that they receive. My God what is happening to my country.

August 14, 2011 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  23. Chloe in Chatsworth, CA

Pawlenty had to spend more because Santorum is way more famous. If you Google him you'll see what I mean.

August 14, 2011 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  24. Dave, CA

Memo to little Ricky- you can't run a country on anti-gay hysteria. Not everyone is as hateful as you. But hey, feel free to waste as much of other people's money as you want. It isn't going to get you anywhere near the White House.

August 14, 2011 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  25. Johan S

What's funny is nobody dare call Ron Paul an appeaser or pro-terrorist even though he's more in favor of withdrawing the troops than even Obama. yet Obama gets called all kinds of names.

August 14, 2011 01:36 am at 1:36 am |