Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. Qualified?

Oh and "I dont compromise" means I do not negotiate and let me tell you..that is NOT a trait to have as a president having to deal with other countries and other religious/beliefs.

August 14, 2011 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  2. Anonymous

As much as I dred the possibility of this woman even sayin "white house, never the less living there", the sheeple of the United States are moving in that direction. They have incredibly short memories and really think that Obama is to blame for every thing. She has no concept of the 4th amandment and insists on creating a theocrasy where we will all be thumping for Christ. Ideological candidates can not possibly compromise or they wouldn't be ideologues. She is true to form we can count on her being bats from the begining and remaing bats to the end. If the fringe put this woman in office, AMERICA DESERVES WHAT COMES

August 14, 2011 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  3. Steve

Not willing to compromise. The worst trait for a leader.

August 14, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  4. Den

Straw poll win, that's really funny. Why don't they get together and do rock, paper, scissors?

August 14, 2011 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  5. JacinJax

Did anyone think we would see a Tea Party female that makes Palin look smart and flexible?

August 14, 2011 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  6. Doug Harrod

A public servant must have the ability to cooperate, communicate and COMPROMISE to serve their constituents; if you do not you are probably paying back the special interest groups who financially supported your campaign.

August 14, 2011 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  7. Heather

I respect your principles, but your unwillingness to compromise indicates that you do not respect those who disagree. Your catering to a small but powerful group of people is unbecoming of a representative to a nation all sharing the unalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

August 14, 2011 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. cobra

Bachmann has more common sense than any left wing progressive, all they can do is whine and hold out their hand for the next handout from the government.

August 14, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  9. oleladyyahoo

Whether I agree or disagree with her is irrelevant, that is the beginning of a dictator. Does she have to right to tell a nation what is right or wrong. God gave all of us a free will, why does Michelle try to take that away. These are her values. Where does it begin or end. This is not the way I want to live. Thank you very much.

August 14, 2011 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  10. antibachmann

Didn't the U.S already try an experiment of having an imbecile for a president? How did that work out for us?

August 14, 2011 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  11. Paul

republicans could easily beat obama under normal circumstances, but not with the current lot of candidates nor the current trajectory of the party – too looney and too far to the right.

August 14, 2011 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Dick Hertz

Then she should speak out on the lack of immigration enforcement which cost the taxpayers hundreds of billions a year.. She's just another snake but in a skirt.

August 14, 2011 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  13. ronald raygun

i guess obama is a 2 term president!!

August 14, 2011 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  14. MaryMary

The last thing America needs is another tea party whacko that refuses to work with members of Congress to solve America's problems. Haven't we had enough sticks-in-the-mud Republicans who refuse to work and compromise with other members across the aisle?

August 14, 2011 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Casual Observer

I live in MN and was born in IA like MB – and I am embarrassed that she references both states.
    She is a total empty suit and has two things in common with Prez Obama – no experience and a distorted sense of reality
    if she were to get the nomination then it would mean the end of the Republican part as we know it
    I am saddened and surprised that the good people of IOWA have fallen for her sirens song.
    She and Palin are great reasons for the formation of another party or two.

August 14, 2011 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  16. I'm a GOP Hostage and so are you

The truth is out. Republicans are evil. That's all anyone needs to know. "I will not compromise" – "Corporations are people"... Republicans practice the exact opposite of all they preach. Greed, lust, sloth. They've got it all. Jezebel/Belzebub/Satan would be so proud. Maybe they should just run his for President against Obama. He wouldn't compromise either.

August 14, 2011 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. The Great Renewal

The difficulty is that I don't like your principles and don't want them leading our diverse country. Not only that but one skill our President needs is to represent everyone ... not just your narrow principles.

Time for a Great Renewal

August 14, 2011 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. JR

You can't compromise what you don't possess.

August 14, 2011 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  19. aorto

If she (or those of similar ilk) wins the Presidency we have opened the door to the fast track to another Inquistion (or Crusade).

August 14, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. clarke

So she is not opened minded, her way or the high way. Glad this was a straw poll, she won't be getting my vote. The people of the USA have not spoken yet, only 17,000 in Iowa, that is not a lot. Thank goodness we will not see her in the oval office.

August 14, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  21. Tony

Michele Bachmann is clearly in an open relationship with the truth.

August 14, 2011 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  22. Oodoodanoo

I've heard a lot about what legislation she doesn't like (anything associated with Obama, for example). I haven't heard a lot of what she supports. Why doesn't she put out a concrete counter-proposal to anything? That's not too much to ask from her if she wants to be president.

"Principles" are fine, but she needs to come up with a budget plan that adds up, a jobs plan that makes sense, and so on. I personally doubt that she can. I would love to see her do it, though, because at that point her base will evaporate. It's easy to make everyone love you when you don't tell them exactly what you plan on doing to them.

August 14, 2011 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Georgia in NW

If every single progressive voter, whether you call yourself Democrat, Green, Independent, does not get out and work like mad to be certain that President Obama is reelected - whether you agree with everything he does or not - there is a chance one of the GOP extremists will win the election. Sitting back and saying "oh it will never happen" won't cut it. Many many people believe the kind of garbage Bachmann and Co. spew out. We are in trouble here, and need to fight hard we want to stop the GOP march to feudalism.

August 14, 2011 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Jim Butler

Reasonable compromise is a characteristic of intelligence; yes even on certain principles. It's a gray world and there and not all principles were created equal. There are ethical principles (e.g., I refuse to kill or steal) which one should cling to like a rock. But mostly what we're talking about here are political principles, social principles, economic principles, and anyone including those in my own party who consider their positions so right that even these principles are absolute is simply stupid and childish. Anyone who knowingly damages the country as a result is arguably treasonous.

August 14, 2011 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  25. Joe

She reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw: "God said it, I believe it, and that settles it."

Were it only so simple.