Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. GOP hates Middle Class

Wow. She is as clueless as the day is long. A hypocrite, a stubborn hypocrite, and a religious zealot all in one. I will switch my party affiliation just to make sure she wins the primary and gets trounced in the election against Pres. Obama. Nice pick GOTPers.

August 14, 2011 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  2. Doug

Essentially what Michelle wants is a plutocratic theocracy. Truly she is a danger to national security.

August 14, 2011 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  3. LakeErie

Has she looked at polls across the US? The vast majority of people prefer a combination of raising taxes (particularly on the wealthy & corporations ) along with reduction in spending. Sounds like COMPROMISE to me. But then I'm not a Tea Party member so maybe I don't count.

August 14, 2011 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  4. jkINC

Should have said "Her policies are outdated".

August 14, 2011 05:06 pm at 5:06 pm |
  5. Iyke

America the signs are clear! This deranged lady says she doesn't compromise on "BIG" issues... and she means it..someone should please wake Ms Bachmann up from slumber.. She's running for President of the greatest country on earth ..the United States of America not the United States of IRAN... In a Democracy, its all about dialogue and compromise..

August 14, 2011 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  6. Jean Hecht

This woman is a total nut! She wants Washington out of the lives of Americans, but she wants to ban abortion. At a time when companies are eliminating pensions, she wants to do away with Social Security and every other programs of the New Deal and the Great Society. She wants to cut back on unemployment insurance. How does she propose that people take care of their families? People like her are clueless. The only good thing she has going is that she will speed up the re-election of Barack Obama. The Maerican public has never elected presidents on the extremes of the political spectrum, and she will not be any different.

August 14, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  7. Jeffrey

I'm a Republican, and from what I see, I'm thinking I'll be voting for Obama.

August 14, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  8. Independent1

See, the problem Michelle, is that the people you are talking to are the people who actually think you could be president, so that does not include quite a few of us. No, don't raise MY taxes. Let the "Bush" tax cuts expire, to start.

August 14, 2011 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  9. Peggy Munro

Bachmann,

Well said. Neither do Middle East fundamentalists.

August 14, 2011 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  10. Mike

She has three principles, me, me and more me. She is the perfect example of an education doesn't make you intelligent. Her values, religious rhetoric, knowledge of history and the list goes on and on is in the class of being incompetent, arrogant and foolish, all of which we don't want representing us on the worlds stage.

August 14, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. teabag the teabaggers

Don't most people in the US wants DADT abolished? But she is going to reinstate it because of her dislike for gays? This woman sounds worse than Palin.

August 14, 2011 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. John Ellis

She is a madwoman and those who voted for her are mad as well. I despair of the country with some hope and despair of the Republican Party's existence. There is no explanation for this result. It would be better if any sane person in the party pushed the self-destruct button and started over than to have such a nominee.

August 14, 2011 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. Shepherd

If her principles match the principles of every single American, this is not a problem. However, by her coming out and saying that her principles are universal, and will be a matter of mandate, not compromise, she is speaking of a dictatorship.

August 14, 2011 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. kakaraka

I'm having an issue with this crazy woman. Her continous migraine is affecting her way to think. One would say she totally lost her mind every time she talks. How come on earth she will continue to fabricate fake talking points completely contrary to the reality? First, the debt ceiling is to pay for debt already on the books, not a new spending. She continues in this craziness to how the debt ceil limit is for nwe spending. Lies. Another fact is, under President Obama, taxes are lower. I don't know why she never talks realities. Right now, the tax rates for the 2% high income earners wealthies are lower than the middle class. And some big corporations have some special tax loopholes which small businesses don't have. So why continue with these insane tax breaks for peope who don't need them in the first place? Taxes need to be level at the Clinton administration level, that is not raise taxes. It's time democrats start calling this crazy woman out on her lies, fake statements. The last thing we need right now is to send another republicans teabaggers in congres or white house who don't want to compromise. This is the main cause of our downgrade. Political incertainity, inability for lawmakers to compromise. And this lady voted against debt ceiling, it's like she helps write checks but refuse to pay for them, which is crazy, and she is happy to talk about. The migraine is seriously affecting her. Anything she says doesn't have any sense.

August 14, 2011 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. M.A.

I know these "values". The values of ignorance. Having to have everything your way too bull-headed ignorant to consider what is representative of both us. You want people working longer hours for less pay bowing to corporations with no soul. Money funneled in every which way direction to dictate public policy and the worship of it (money). You want everything done for you 24 hours a day and don't question it. Ya don't want to be accountable for decisions that destroy people's health, the environment and having time to actually be with people you love. Ask you for help, your answer is the devil's going to rule the world....I wouldn't do the things that have been done to me. That's right folks they run people over just like they try and ram their policies of ignorance down our throats. If you would really surrender as you suggest, you would have earned your keep. I don't compromise on my principles, either.

August 14, 2011 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  16. Christian D from Bayside Queens

Michelle Bachmann has children she knows what it is to live on a budget she knows tax law and has 10 times the experience that the President has whom by the way I voted for. The president is now to me a lame duck with no power Pelosi pulls his strings. He does not have a very good understanding of foreign policy. He bows to Islamic Muslims and disrespects the Queen of England. He has destroyed the U.S. economy and Middle manager in the big cities are still out of work, this group alone in major cities is the backbone of real estate and investment. Bachmann is not perfect but she is the best choice because capital gains tax need to be eliminated a flat tax needs to be in place and Christian values need to be restored in our schools and our country in general. Tax cuts will get the economy moving and get jobs back to this country. She needs to address however and make Derivative contracts more transparent, which nearly took down our economy. She also has a good plan for Health Insurance, it will give a person from poor to middle class the option of buying insurance in other states, which was practiced during the Clinton administration as far as auto insurance and it worked well. Bachmann will only be a help to the poor and middle class and will get the country on its feet. We also need someone who will stop cutting NASA. Space is the place and where the future jobs will be. Giving 18 billion to Pakistan who housed Bin Laden and giving a great agency like NASA 20 billion is ridiculous and by the way, Obama’s cuts to NASA put many people out of work at NASA. We need a leader, Bachmann is a leader, and she will make a great president.

August 14, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  17. indyj

Seems like everybody commenting thinks she should compromise her values. While I doubt any politicians values, I certainly believe that if you do not stand for what you believe then you are a hypocrite. Most politicians only care about two things…getting elected and getting re-elected. Since I assume it is mostly liberals commenting, I can see why they want her to compromise…however, I believe politicians articulating what they believe clearly is a refreshing change.

August 14, 2011 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  18. Concerned American

Given that Bachmann believes in "submission" to her husband in her personal life, it would appear she has never had to compromise and has yet to understand, let alone develop this skill. On the other hand, since she does not believe in compromise, I suspect she will expect that the American People, and our Congressional leaders representing us, will SUBMIT to her, that what she says goes. And there goes the American value of liberty for all. She says the Courts should not legislate from the bench. Will she conveniently overlook the fact that the Constitution stipulates that the Bible shalll not legislate from the pew?

August 14, 2011 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  19. GOP can do SO much better

Please don't nominate this woman, I can't vote for someone this woman who has already compromised her values to get votes, clearly a homophobic, and wouldn't do what this country is founded on: compromise. Crazy is electing this woman. I'd rather vote for Paul or Romney.

August 14, 2011 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  20. Positive

She is actually praising herself for stating that she would never, under any circumstances, vote for a debt ceiling increase. She wanted the United States of America to default and says so with pride!

If America votes for a person like this (or fails to vote and allows her to be elected), then sadly, it will make the Bush/GOP disaster look like a walk in the park.

August 14, 2011 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  21. Jan in TX

Our forefathers would be aghast to find a woman like Michele Bachmann, who posesses such a blatantly obvious religious agenda, running for POTUS and being taken seriously by American citizens. She represents absolutely everything they warned us against. Perry appears just as bad on the surface, but unlike Bachmann, his religious fervor is mostly for show and will be dropped when it's no longer needed to obtain votes.

August 14, 2011 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  22. steve

The people of this country deserve the likes of Bachman and Perry!

August 14, 2011 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. Beaureguard

Intelligent people talk of ideas.
    Materialistic people talk of things.
    Low life people talk about other people.

August 14, 2011 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  24. JB

If the liberals continue with the same path!! Even a dog running on Republican platform will beat Obama.

August 14, 2011 07:43 pm at 7:43 pm |
  25. frank burnsf

She's like Humpty Dumpty: "'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'" You see, "Submit" means "respect". And of course the husband must respect the wife, which means, "Submit" to her. Or something like that.

August 14, 2011 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |