Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. SuRy

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles. That's right folks. All those nut job things she is on record saying? She believes every single one of them.

August 14, 2011 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  2. GOP hates Middle Class

The former President's strategy was to build up a war chest by cutting taxes for the rich? OK.
    The GOP was telling everyone that "freedom isn't free" during their rush to invade Iraq and secure those WMDs. But when it comes time to pay the bills for an illegal war, all of a sudden that war was supposed to be free, no taxes - war doesn't cost a thing in their twisted minds.
    Our collective memory is not that short Bachmann, taxes are needed to pay for the past war-mongering.
    As fas as the debt ceiling goes, Bachmann shows what a twit she is by talking about a "blank check" for Obama. Hello dingbat, the debt ceiling is for debt already incurred by CONGRESS. It's not a blank check for future budgets (by CONGRESS). For a member of congress, she's woefully incompetent about her own job duties. Michelle and her fab hubby should try to default on their mortgage that they got from Freddie Mac (that evil govt entity) and see how that works out. MB is so not fit for any higher office. Let's get those old energy wasting bulbs back!

August 14, 2011 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  3. bill

uhbama makes Michele Bachmann look like a Rhodes Scholar.

August 14, 2011 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  4. Former Republican, now an Independent

Her "core principles" are, steal from the worker and give to the wealthy. As a fellow EvangeIical Christian, I find nothing ethical about her principles, or that of Rick Perry either.

August 14, 2011 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  5. Dan

There's no reason to compromise when you can make up history and facts from scratch as you go along...

August 14, 2011 11:33 pm at 11:33 pm |
  6. Former Republican, now an Independent

By the way, who's doing Bachmann's job for the people of Minnesota while she is running all over the country on the state's payroll. I hope it's not the ones who ran the state into financial trouble while Tim Pawlenty ran all over the country wasting the Minnesota taxpayer's money.

August 14, 2011 11:35 pm at 11:35 pm |
  7. Terry

Good grief, and I thought Palin was the dumbest woman the GOP could rollout back in 2008. MB is a real whack job. However, let's give the Republicans one more chance. "Where are the jobs that were to be created with the Bush Tax Cuts?" Why is it that not one Republican can answer such a simple question? Forget the new candidates, let's ask George Bush where the jobs are, after he gave the wealthy $4 Trillion Dollars in tax cuts.

August 14, 2011 11:36 pm at 11:36 pm |
  8. Julie R

Please raise my taxes. Let's work on reduction and efficiency, sure, but go ahead and raise them if you need to. And I've actually heard LOTS of people saying the same thing!

August 14, 2011 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Steven

" the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit. " But the public does want this, poll after poll reflect this.. What could the GOP be reading? The GOP just is not listening to the public. I feel like the GOP is the three monkeys ... can not see, hear or speak the truth.

August 14, 2011 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. bear0402

Exactly what Obama said about Health Care too. I will not compromise. Look where that got us.

August 14, 2011 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  11. Blake

Bachmann won't compromise? Someone needs to remind her that the unwillingness to compromise in D.C. is what got our nation into the very trouble it's in today.

August 14, 2011 11:48 pm at 11:48 pm |
  12. Christopher

Her 'core set of values' would be fitting with the most evil person's on this planet, because they are pretty much the same.

August 14, 2011 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  13. Patriots64

This is ridiculous. You have to be able to compromise to govern effectively. Its the foundation that government is built on. If we refuse to compromise, we will end up with another debacle like the debt ceiling debate and make ourselves the laughingstock of the world again.

August 14, 2011 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  14. Sad

It's just sad...This woman's insanity has cost this country its triple a rating already, isn't that enough?

August 14, 2011 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  15. Adam 9

The worst kind of person is the one who is completely selfish in all things, only out for themselves. What kind of a person do you think would admit to not compromising?

August 15, 2011 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  16. Leo from East Texas

Hilliary Clinton is more respected as a Potental First Women President than you...Mrs. Ditzy Chick....and the other Ditzy Chick Sarah Palin....Lady you are a Legend in your own twisted I know what's best for the country's mind....Go jump in a lake........

August 15, 2011 12:07 am at 12:07 am |
  17. mocha morhouse

So, just how did she afford those 23 foster children? Don't you get money from the state, dshs to raise those children? Aren't their medical bills covered by dshs? So who is zoomin who?

August 15, 2011 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  18. Chris

"I don't compromise." Gross. Who is this ya-who that we never heard of a year ago?

August 15, 2011 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  19. Beadles

Ms. Bachmann states "I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes...’” Several polls have shown that the majority of people in this country understand that the REALITY of our economic situation requires an increase in revenue and a decrease in spending – and that some of the revenue increase includes raising taxes. Yes, her way or the highway. Absolutely no willingness to work towards an effective solution. She is totally out of touch with the American people. Can the Republicans not field a viable candidate?

August 15, 2011 12:11 am at 12:11 am |
  20. Andacar

The fascinating thing about all this is that neither Bachman nor her followers see the inherent contradiction in saying that you will be an uncompromising leader of the free world. I suppose it's useless to point out to the Tea Party fanatics that freedom without compromise is impossible. The very same people who shout furiously that President Obama is a dictator trying to take away freedom also applaud wildly when Michelle Bachman promises to be an uncompromising autocrat who will answer to nobody except the rigid dictates of her narrow principals.

August 15, 2011 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  21. OU812IC

I will lie and rip you blind
    But will not compromise on my values
    Well that just says it all right there does it not

August 15, 2011 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  22. Frank Cardenas

The MEDIA should keep in mind she got less than 5,000 votes and only around 17,000 votes were cast in the political CIRCUS in Iowa. Why is the Media treating this like it means anything is beyond me!

August 15, 2011 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  23. Greg

I hope we won't have a Nazi president in Jan 2013.

August 15, 2011 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  24. CF

Hitler didn't compromise either.

August 15, 2011 01:01 am at 1:01 am |
  25. Justin H

She keeps saying that this straw poll sent a message to Obama. I'm really curious to know how she comes to that conclusion when Obama and democrats were not involved. Furthermore, her "I don't compromise" stance is contrary to what the founding father intended from our political system.

August 15, 2011 01:01 am at 1:01 am |