Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. larvadog

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that she also told all the unemployed Americans that you're out of luck on continuing benefits. Despite the worst economy since the Depression, all 20+ million of you will be on your own if she becomes president. Pay attention!

August 14, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  2. Jeff,NM

I wonder if all these people in Iowa are considered rich, make over 250,000 a year, or just dreaming to achieve this and in the meantime just cutting off their noses to spite their faces by voting for republicans and teabaggers who don't have their interest in mind? Including the grandmas who are voting to get cut off of medicare? And from looking at some of the people at the state fair, Iowans just don't fit the profile. As a matter of fact, they look middle class. Fight for your social security, Iowans. Because Michelle Bachmann is only trying to take these things from you. She's not your friend.

August 14, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  3. lynn

Like Palin, she thinks schools should teach intelligent design. MN just wants her out of their state, so are trying to foist her off on the U.S.

August 14, 2011 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  4. jonlline

Anyone know how Canadian immigration works? If this loon is even the nominee, I am going to move.

August 14, 2011 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  5. Kevin

The only time I don't compromise my values is when it would demean my life or the lives of those I love OR would cause considerable harm to others. If this woman and her husband attack Medicaid while raking in cash from it and believes (despite all evidence to the contrary) that gays should have no rights, taxes are akin to Communism, and that President Obama is anti-American, then she has no set of values. Period.

Values and principles work for the betterment of people and their happiness. If they don't, you must abandon them.

August 14, 2011 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  6. pacchardon

Bachmann and her titanium skull will go down in flames as soon as she gets out of bible thumper country

August 14, 2011 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  7. A Real Patriot

“I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

What Legislative Career? The "Light bulb Choice Act"? Are you kidding me?

The only thing Bachmann has done is get on TV-rant and rave-tell lies-make stuff up-and besiege President Obama-those are not credentials for the Presidency.

August 14, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  8. Bob

I dont thnk the Congresswoman understands what being a Representative is. It is very admirable that she wants to stand by her priinciples but her job is to represent the people who elected her and do what the people desire. Compromise is the only way to change Washington. WIth this philosophy Obama will win again. How sad is that one????

August 14, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  9. Jimboob

There is so much more to the job than "Just say No" to tax increasese for the wealthy.
    Another one issue candidate that will go on to write a book and have a show on FOX...

August 14, 2011 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  10. McCain-in-4

Bachmann, Please Raise MY Taxes ... if you only use the additional revenue to pay off the debt. There. You may use that as a direct quote. As for not compromising your principles, and absolutely not compromising your core principles: How can I trust you to properly represent ME? I WANT THE DEBT PAID OFF!!! I also want some semblance of the original Pilgrims' Common House preserved as well (Think Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid – programs we worked & paid for, if not for ourselves then for our families and neighbors). Is is quite an unChristian callousness to kill of these programs and break those promises.

August 14, 2011 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  11. noigiler

How she will govern, based on this article:
    No compromising–so she rejects our basic principle of how we govern in a republic
    Citizens will be able vote on what civil rights should be granted to other citizens–so she rejects our constitution

Be proud Iowa. You just voted for a fascist.

August 14, 2011 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  12. Joshua Ludd

"And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit. "

She is right.. we don't. We overwhelmingly favor taking care of this problem by ending oil subsidies and taxing corporations and the wealthy. When you start with the concept that government is too big, then you end up with the idea that you must only make cuts. Funny how government is only too big for these folks when it comes to policies that protect the non-wealthy and those who work for a living.

August 14, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  13. Frank

To paraphrase Republicans when Howard Dean made his mark in Iowa, "Please nominate this woman!!".

August 14, 2011 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  14. Martie

If she's elected I hope she institutes some sort of dress code if we are compelled to attend church (her choice, of course). I also want to see her long form birth certificate -– why is she hiding it and how do we know it isn't a forgery?

August 14, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  15. Bachmann Turner Overdrive

Michele "Grape Nut Flake" Bachmann is perfectly positioned now to do even more damage to republicans everwhere!

August 14, 2011 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  16. TomPaine32

She takes idiotic positions (like don't the debt ceiling) and then she refuses to compromise. Can it get any worse than that?

August 14, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  17. Positive

"I don't compromise" ?!?!?!!

I find it absolutely incredible that Republicans think someone like this is a candidate to lead this country. Until they can regain some level of sense and realise that we don't live in a Republican dictatorship, they have no business in power at any level.

Please send them this message loud and clear in the 2012 elections!

August 14, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  18. Geterdone

Bachman does not back down... she stands by every untruth she makes up.

August 14, 2011 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  19. Forrest

Just what we need in the White House, another obstinate, pig-headed dolt. The political process REQUIRES compromise on key issues. Otherwise you get...well, we all just witnessed what happens when our government refuses to work with one another.

August 14, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  20. Marie MD

Flake, woman to woman. One who respects her husband. We just heard you stumble and fumble your way through a meet the press interview and I thank David Gregory for not letting you get away with anything you have said in the past.
    Gays are satan, I submit to my husband, my carrer decisions have been made because my husband or god have told me I HAD to do it. You will hire anyone who shares your views (which views, your right wing nut wide eyed views)? You never answered whether you would hire a gay person. I know you sometimes look as if you have no idea where the camera is (blinders?) but if Gregory is showing you what you have said just a few years before that you can't say you haven't said so or pretend that by continuing to parrot " I am running for president" that those COMMENTS are going to go away.
    If you now have a migraine you deserve it! You lying stupid bimbo!! 29% of 17,000 votes in your HOME NOW of Iowa is not going to get you elected anything!

August 14, 2011 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  21. hank

It is scary that there are people who would vote for this irresponsible candidate.

August 14, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  22. Debbie

So if Bachmann doesn't compromise on big issues or her core principals then as a "submissive wife" what is her husband's stand on big issues and core principals. Will her husband be in the situation room with our military leaders and what is his stand on NATO? Will she confer with her husband when she must propose a budget to Congress? Will her husband go on every trip for trade? What is his stance on trade with China, Vietnam, India etc? On the Compromise issues ie Congress is Bachmann saying she will never compromise? What is her husbands stance on compromise?

August 14, 2011 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  23. Donkey Party

She'll just compromise the country's principles instead. Nutcase woman.

August 14, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  24. maggie

She "done it" throughout her entire legislative career, which has produced nothing. Bob who posted at 10:41 is exactly right. Other Americans have voted others in to do their bidding for them. To say that they are irrelevant if they don't agree with her principles is truly an insult to the very same Americans she is hoping will vote for her in 2012.

August 14, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  25. Wes

So, 4823 Iowa Republicans cast a vote for her ... and that's America sending a message to President Obama about his policies? Oh Michelle, get back on your knees and pray harder ....

August 14, 2011 10:49 am at 10:49 am |