Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles
August 14th, 2011

Bachmann: I don’t compromise my principles

(CNN) – Fresh off a win at the Iowa straw poll, Minnesota Rep. Michele Bachmann stood by her principles Sunday, saying in an interview with CNN’s “State of the Union” that she won’t compromise her values on “big issues.”

Facing criticism that tea party members resisted compromise to reach an agreement on the debt ceiling, the Republican presidential candidate was asked to identify legislation that represented a compromise between herself and lawmakers of an opposing or alternate view. “I stand on a core set of principles but you want to continue to move in a positive direction,” Bachmann told Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley. “I’ve done that throughout my legislative career.”

“On big issues, I don’t compromise my core sets of principles.”

And in her experience, the public doesn’t favor a compromise between spending cuts and raising revenue through tax increases as a method of battling the deficit.

“I haven’t gone one place in Iowa or South Carolina or New Hampshire where anyone said, ‘Please raise my taxes,’” she argued. “Never happened.”

“People are not saying yes, raise the debt ceiling, we want you to borrow more money - it doesn’t happen…people are very upset and nervous about where the economy’s at right now.”

And for Bachmann, a win at the straw poll in Ames, a contest that measures candidate strength and organization in Iowa, also communicated a bigger message.

“People sent a message to President Obama. They said, ‘We are done with your policies, we want something very different.’”

Bachmann believes that the 2012 election will be an “economic selection,” in which she will fare well because “people want to know who can turn the country around.”

“People want job creation,” she stated. “They want the economy to turn around and [they want to] work. I have that background.”

And if she reaches the White House, Bachmann said she would revisit the policy that prevented gay service members from openly serving in the military known as “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

“The ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy has worked very well,” she said. “I would be in consultation with our commanders but yes, I probably will [reinstate the policy].”

Though she hasn’t yet decided whether to end the gas tax when it expires in September, Bachmann did say that on the matter of gay marriage she thought it imperative that judges refrain from “legislating from the bench.”

“I think it’s more important that people have a right to weigh in on the laws that they choose to live under,” she asserted. “That was the problem here in Iowa.”

Watch State of the Union with Candy Crowley Sundays at 9am ET. For the latest from State of the Union click here.

Filed under: 2012 • Content Partner • Iowa • Michele Bachmann • TV-State of the Union
  1. SuRy

"I wish the American media would take a great look at the views of the people in Congress and find out: Are they pro-America or anti-America?" -Rep. Michelle Bachmann, calling for a new McCarthyism, Oct. 2008

August 14, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. SuRy

"If we took away the minimum wage - if conceivably it was gone - we could potentially virtually wipe out unemployment completely because we would be able to offer jobs at whatever level." Michele Bachmann, Jan. 2005

August 14, 2011 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. TheTraveler

Sorry Michelle, you can't compromise what you don't have in the first place...

August 14, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  4. conoclast

So as of now the republican offering consists of Michelle "God cures homosexuality" Bachman and Rick "God wants another Texan in the White House" Perry. Nice going, God; you sure know now to pick 'em! Meanwhile the one guy who could give Obama an intellectual and ideological run for his money remains Ron Paul; think he has a chance-in-hell of winning the nomination? The GOP base seems to value what-you-look-like over how-you-think: Perry and Palin are a shoe-in!

August 14, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  5. SuRy

"Many teenagers that come in should be paying the employer because of broken dishes or whatever occurs during that period of time. But you know what? After six months, that teenager is going to be a fabulous employee and is going to go on a trajectory where he's going to be making so much money, we'll be borrowing money from him." —Michele Bachmann, 1/26/05, explaining why teenagers should pay employers for the privilege of working instead of receiving minimum wage.

August 14, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  6. Tam

She doesn't compromise. She also doesn't think, and doesn't have enough grey matter.

August 14, 2011 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  7. SuRy

"I look at the Scripture and I read it and I take it for what it is. I give more credence in the Scripture as being kind of a timeless word of God to mankind, and I take it for what it is. And I don't think I give as much credence to my own mind, because I see myself as being very limited and very flawed, and lacking in knowledge, and wisdom and understanding. So, I just take the Bible for what it is, I guess, and recognize that I am not a scientist, not trained to be a scientist. I'm not a deep thinker on all of this. I wish I was. I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I'm not a scientist."

– Michele Bachmann interviewing with Todd Fiel at KKMS as quoted in the Stillwater Gazette, September 29, 2003.

August 14, 2011 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  8. SuRy

"Iran is the troublemaker trying to tip over apple carts all over Baghdad right now because they want America to pull out. And you know why? It’s because they’ve already decided, that they’re going to territory, they’re- they’re going to partition Iraq and half of Iraq, the western northern portion of Iraq is going to be called, the United, uh, uh, the, the uh, -oh, I’m sorry, I can’t remember the actual name of it now, but it’s going to be called, um, uh, the, the, uh, uh the Iraq State of Islam, something like that. And I-I’m sorry, I-I don’t have the official name, but it is meant to be the training ground for the terrorists. There’s already an agreement made; they’re going to get half of Iraq and that is going to be a –a terrorist free,-a terrorist safe haven zone."

February 9, 2007, interview with Larry Schumacher, St Cloud Times. Posted February 10, 2007

August 14, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  9. Louis Wu

Are Bachmann supporters brain dead??? How could anyone with 3 working brain cells like this disgusting bigot?

August 14, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  10. Rick

This is just so typical of these clowns. They are populists. Well guess what, if the people got to make the laws of the land the country would be an even bigger mess. We should be electing leaders to do these things in the hope they are wiser than the populace, not just to parrot the ignorance of the masses.

August 14, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  11. SuRy

"Little children will be forced to learn that homosexuality is normal and natural and perhaps they should try it."
    - Sen Michele Bachmann, Interview with Jan Markell, Olive Tree Ministries.

August 14, 2011 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. SuRy

I can't understand why Michele Bachmann is so against gay marriage. Isn't she in one?

August 14, 2011 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  13. SuRy

She won a contest at a fried butter on a stick county fair in Iowa. Ask Phil Gramm, Mitt Romney, Pat Robertson, etc,. how that worked out for them,

August 14, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  14. david

As someone else said, she doesn't have enough brains to formulate a compromise. It is weird how the candidates are radical one way or the other these days. We live in interesting times.... not good.

August 14, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  15. Roscoe Chait

Do you really want this uncompromising, apocalyptic wacko as president with her finger on the nuclear button? Can't the GOP do better than this?

August 14, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  16. Straw Poll, remember the litttle pigs and the straw house!

Why does anyone care about a straw poll or anything else in Iowa politics. It is over 90% white, over 80% Evangelical Christian and the largest city is Des Moines which is a whopping 200,000 in population. All it proves iis that white evangelical chrisitians are going to vote for other white evangelical christians, and the more fundamentallist ( insert extremist) the better. especially if they want a christian government with christian schools and christian laws, sort of like Iran with its Islamic fundamentalist government, schools, laws, etc... only in reverse.

August 14, 2011 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  17. B

This woman is a classic case of why this county is in such deep doo doo. She actually thinks that the Earth is only 6,000 years old! How do you people think that ,we as a country, are going to be seen by the rest of the World, electing another Moron as we did with Bush,twice !

We are falling behind because we put idiots in positions of responsibility and then wonder what happened to our leadership in the World.

Bachmann is a bad Joke.

August 14, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  18. conoclast

Nice sepulchral black, Candy & Michelle! Were you just at a political function or a funeral? If Bachman indeed goes on to take the nomination the funeral will have been for the entire republican party! Since "bummed-out black" is the "in" color choice in Washington these days one wonders which color ties they'll all choose when the fit finally does hit the shan?

August 14, 2011 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. George

President Bachmann will save the economy, save the gays, and save the world through her penetrating insight into every facet of human life. She shall not compromise even if it means bringing down the entire structure of society that has been these 235 years forming. The best hope of the U.S. rests on her shoulders, and she will be the first to tell you so.

August 14, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. SuRy

She canceled her membership in her nut job fundamentalist evangelical church that teaches the pope is the antichrist and is trying to distance herself from her flat earth beliefs. She knows the other nut jobs will "know what's in her heart" and hopes the rest of you don't know she's nuts.

August 14, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  21. Johnny Five

I'll always be a Ron Paul supporter, but I am happy that the MSM declares "her" above Romney. Lesser of two evils, but Ron Paul is still the best! He is the only founding father revolutionary we have and that is what we need in 2012, not more of the same old society.

August 14, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  22. Squigman

Funny, could it be the rest of the world, except she has fallen over the edge where hell exists, and only she knows the map to heaven itself? More self rightous right wing rants, made to make the masses fell small and inconsequential. A tactic used by the republicans and yet the democrats, are accused of being the party of hate, whose ultimate motive is to enslave the populace, and ruin the nations economy. Scum, pure scum..

August 14, 2011 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  23. edpeters101

The Minnesota cuckoo bird, kinda makes you think that bush was not only fair, but a genius to boot! God is not fair, with material like this, I should have been made comedian (like Wolf, say it once redundancy say it again)!

August 14, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  24. Tauna

I don't care what your views are. The moment ANY politician mentions using religion in politics, they lose my vote. Keep your religion out of government. We are NOT a theocracy!!

August 14, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  25. logic in LA

This hypocritical woman takes the very government support she fights for others. Farm subsidies ( talk about wasteful spending!) Medicare payments for a clinic that is a front for her and her husbands personal agenda and good or bad, money to support her foster children. It may be a good deed, but if she can't afford to raise them, why take in so many?
    The only thing she won't compromise is her insults, lies and misinformation.

August 14, 2011 11:21 am at 11:21 am |